desktop windows (10) manager high cpu

mrkassen

Commendable
Mar 31, 2016
I have windows 10, all up to date, on my laptop. Sometimes i use a standing desk with a separate monitor. When I switch to this 2nd monitor, desktop windows manager jumps to 30% CPU, regardless of what I'm doing. Even if I'm doing nothing or leave the room for a 1/2 hour. This did not happen w/ previous versions of windows. Suggestions?

Solution
Windows 10 has tons of stuff running in the background, take a look at the processes that are eating up your computer resources. Have a look at the disk activity too. Usually for me it is either Windows Defender or Windows Updates. You can't turn off the updates, but you can turn of Windows Defender temporarily but it will turn itself back on later. A solution is to get another antivirus, something like ESET NOD32 will be easier on your computer's resources.

FXingSerious

Honorable
Jan 15, 2016
Windows 10 has tons of stuff running in the background, take a look at the processes that are eating up your computer resources. Have a look at the disk activity too. Usually for me it is either Windows Defender or Windows Updates. You can't turn off the updates, but you can turn of Windows Defender temporarily but it will turn itself back on later. A solution is to get another antivirus, something like ESET NOD32 will be easier on your computer's resources.

Solution