Desktop won't boot after hibernation

Dom_L

Commendable
Feb 8, 2017
I have googled around, but can't seem to find similar issues, so I am going to ask here.

Some background information:

My desktop is a few years old, but when I built it the components were all brand new and have worked quite well.
Motherboard: Asus Z77 Sabertooth
CPU: i7-3770k with Corsair i100 water cooler
GPU: MSI GTX 970 (this one was upgraded about a year ago)
RAM: 2 x 8 GB of corsair vengeance
Storage: 120 GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD
3 TB Seagate HDD
random old 500 GB HDD (this one was from an older PC)

So basically the computer's been working fine for a few years, no complaints whatsoever. I would leave it on overnight (without turning off or having it go to sleep/hibernate) from time to time and it has never caused the problem.

Then yesterday (or early this morning to be precise), I thought I had been leaving my computer on for no reason overnight, and I would try hibernating to save power, and so that I can get back to work faster as well (Now I am just thinking how stupid I was); so I put it to hibernate. Then this afternoon, I tried to hit space to turn it back on (I think it worked before) but nothing was happening. I thought it was strange but didn't think much of it, so I hit the power button and was expecting it to turn back on, and nothing was happening!

I was like huh, alright maybe it's the hibernation glitch (I used to have problems on my old laptop where it wouldn't wake up from sleep, and only hard reboot would fix it). So I held down the power button, ready for the computer to reboot, but it never happened. So I turned off the PSU, unplugged the power, waited a few seconds and replugged it back in, turned on PSU and hit the power button. Nothing was happening and I started to freak out. I held the power button for a bit longer, and finally the case fan started spinning but only very slowly, the GPU fan was spinning even more slowly, but they both stopped soon after.

I tried to reset the CMOS on the motherboard with the jumper following the motherboard manual, and that didn't really help either. Now when I hit the power button, sometimes nothing happens, sometimes the case fan would start spinning, GPU fan would spin for a bit, and there's a flashing light on the motherboard (CPU LED), and they would all stop soon after.

I also tried removing both RAM's - still same problem; tried removing GPU - same problem as well. I can't even locate where the problem comes from. Any help or suggestion would be appreciated. Thanks.

Solution
All electronics eventually fail, including even the best PSUs. The difference between a high quality one and a low quality one is that if (when) a high quality PSU fails, it won't take out the rest of your components with it, due to the protections built into the unit.

Once you test your friend's PSU in your rig, if indeed your PSU is bad, let us know and we can help select a replacement. 850 Watts seem to be overkill for your rig. It will only supply the wattage your components demand, not the full 850 Watts all the time, but there is a sweet spot for selecting the wattage of the PSU compared to the wattage your parts demand.
I don't think hibernating the computer is causing your problem. Probably just a coincidence. Ordinarily to wake a computer from sleep, pressing a key on the keyboard or clicking the mouse will work. But to wake from hibernation, pressing the front power button is necessary, because the computer is indeed "off", and the current state at the time of hibernation gets written to your OS drive.

Sounds like your PSU might be bad. What make/model is it?

MasterWigu

Honorable
Aug 19, 2016
I'd say that the problem may be from either the motherboard or the PSU. If you have some PSU laying around i suggest to try to boot with it. If you can, try disconnecting the PSU from the components, start it using the paper clip method and check the voltages.

Dom_L

Commendable
Feb 8, 2017

Uh I don't remember the exact model, but it's from Seasonic, gold certified (I know, I was a noob when I first built my PC), 850W.

Dom_L

Commendable
Feb 8, 2017

Yea I think I'm going to try it with a different PSU from my friend soon. I'll report back after that.

Dom_L

Commendable
Feb 8, 2017

Yea I know, but I did some looking up after, apparently a bronze would do just the job as well, and it's quite a bit cheaper.

All electronics eventually fail, including even the best PSUs. The difference between a high quality one and a low quality one is that if (when) a high quality PSU fails, it won't take out the rest of your components with it, due to the protections built into the unit.

Once you test your friend's PSU in your rig, if indeed your PSU is bad, let us know and we can help select a replacement. 850 Watts seem to be overkill for your rig. It will only supply the wattage your components demand, not the full 850 Watts all the time, but there is a sweet spot for selecting the wattage of the PSU compared to the wattage your parts demand.

Solution

Dom_L

Commendable
Feb 8, 2017

Yea thanks makes sense.

We ended up fixing it, and the funny part is we still don't know wtf happened and how we even fixed it. I went to my friend's place and as it turned out, he had cable management done, and the PSU cable wasn't long enough (24 pin and 8 pin), and the PSU wasn't modular either; which means to use his PSU we would have to do a lot of work and he wasn't too inclined to do that. So we ended up just messing around with my PC (booting it on and off, putting a post speaker on there, change RAM slots, etc), and at some point it just booted on normally (WTF seriously)! I'm typing this on my revived desktop now and can't be any happier!

lithos

Reputable
May 6, 2019
I have the very same issue. Sorry for my errors, english is not my main language, and that netbook is damn slow.

In my pc i have a samsung 840 pro 256gb too. i put my win10 with that samsung ssd in "energy saving" mode insted of shut down the system as usual.

after that my pc won't boot, and even didnÄt recognize the ssd anymorein uefi bios. its a x399 msi.

my linux netbook with an sata to usb adapter recognise it and gave the following error:

Error mounting /dev/sdc4 at /media/lithos/C6B4EC69B4EC5E05: Command-line `mount -t "ntfs" -o "uhelper=udisks2,nodev,nosuid,uid=1000,gid=1000,dmask=0077,fmask=0177" "/dev/sdc4" "/media/lithos/C6B4EC69B4EC5E05"' exited with non-zero exit status 14: The disk contains an unclean file system (0, 0).
Metadata kept in Windows cache, refused to mount.
Failed to mount '/dev/sdc4': Operation not permitted
The NTFS partition is in an unsafe state. Please resume and shutdown
Windows fully (no hibernation or fast restarting), or mount the volume
read-only with the 'ro' mount option.

after that i put the samsung in my old 775 asus p5q. and yup, it showed up under sata devices... but i have no idea how to fix it.

maybe with a win10 install stick and repair.

lithos

Reputable
May 6, 2019
okay. i have absolutly no clue.... after check it on my linux netbook and server. it showed up again in the main rig. and booted up in win10. very very wierd.... i make some backups, and after that a health check of the ssd and afterwards a firmware update