[SOLVED] desktop wont post unless a gpu is in the second pcie x16 slot

corruptcosplayer

Reputable
Aug 28, 2017
so I've had this issue for a while, but am looking to update my gpu and want to get it fixed before getting new one.
a while ago i was messing around with running two gpus in my computer, and ran with a rx 460 and 1060 6gb. it was a silly thing just to see if i could do it. ever since removing the rx 460, my desktop wont post unless there is a gpu in the second pice x16 slot. if i have two in, it detects the first slot as the main gpu. if i have one in, it only detects the second slot. its honestly extremely weird and i have no idea why this happens. even an unpowered gpu in the second slot still fills it/lets the top slot work as the primary. (i currently have an old r9 280 in it, unpowered)
and yes, I've looked in the bios for an option for setting the primary output, either I'm blind or there isnt one.
i know its not a huge deal but it does block airflow notably if i have to have it on the second slot.

Cpu: r5 2600
ram: 4x8gb 3200 gskill ripjaw (clocked to 2600 cause ryzen)
motherboard: asrock x470 master sli/ac
gpu: zotac 1060 6gb mini

Solution
i have. just to be sure, i double checked and tried every combination of the cards in the slots, with and without power plugged in. choosing the primary display adapter is grayed out. oddly enough, though this i found out something weirder. if my 280 is the only card in and in the first slot, it posts. my 1060 still won't in the same position. I'm honestly not sure what to make of it.

From that last thing you said about the 280 being able to work alone, in either slot, it sounds like the problem is actually in the cards. I think - again a wild guess - that the experiment with the 1060 and RX 460 combination did something to the cards themselves.

corruptcosplayer

Reputable
Aug 28, 2017
Have you tried checking the BIOS when both cards are in? Maybe the option to change the primary slot is only when there are 2 cards detected. Just a wild guess.
i have. just to be sure, i double checked and tried every combination of the cards in the slots, with and without power plugged in. choosing the primary display adapter is grayed out. oddly enough, though this i found out something weirder. if my 280 is the only card in and in the first slot, it posts. my 1060 still won't in the same position. I'm honestly not sure what to make of it.

mrmike16

Honorable
Mar 10, 2016

From that last thing you said about the 280 being able to work alone, in either slot, it sounds like the problem is actually in the cards. I think - again a wild guess - that the experiment with the 1060 and RX 460 combination did something to the cards themselves.

Solution