Question Desktop wont power up

Jun 25, 2019
My desktop got drenched by the fire department when my office caught fire last week. Nothing was powered on as it was night time. Other peripherals around the PC like WiFi router /printer & the monitor are working after a few days in the sun.
Coming to the desktop -
I took it apart, put it in the sun for a few days. Cleaned it. Used a hair dryer.
Put it back together (minus components - only Ram in) - no response. No beeps, nothing. Touched the pins under the power connector on the motherboard, they were warm.
What could be the problem?

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
That water, electronics and (direct?) sunlight don't get along?

What are full system specs including make and model of PSU?

PC was off but PSU is not actually off off and is on standby, unless you had turned it off with the switch on the back . It might have shorted and died.

Can you test with another PSU? Same motherboard + CPU + one RAM or no RAM routine. Does the PC have a buzzer/speaker?

Jun 25, 2019
That water, electronics and (direct?) sunlight don't get along?

What are full system specs including make and model of PSU?

PC was off but PSU is not actually off off and is on standby, unless you had turned it off with the switch on the back . It might have shorted and died.

Can you test with another PSU? Same motherboard + CPU + one RAM or no RAM routine. Does the PC have a buzzer/speaker?

Just the PSU was in the Sun. Other stuff was inside.
It's an acer desktop. Wasn't using it myself so don't really remember the specs (can check and post details later).
It was plugged in through a spike buster, like other peripherals that are working now. The spike buster is ok, no blown fuse. There's no power switch on the PSU.

Only reason I'm thinking PSU might be working is that there is some power going into the board thats making the pins under the power connector warm.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Just the PSU was in the Sun. Other stuff was inside.
It's an acer desktop. Wasn't using it myself so don't really remember the specs (can check and post details later).
It was plugged in through a spike buster, like other peripherals that are working now. The spike buster is ok, no blown fuse. There's no power switch on the PSU.

Only reason I'm thinking PSU might be working is that there is some power going into the board thats making the pins under the power connector warm.

Right, the damage might be internal to the PSU (as it should be with good PSUs and they should protect whatever is connected to them). Again, if you can use another PSU to check the components like motherboard + CPU/1 RAM.

This PSU I wouldn't really connect to anything unless a certified/proper technician checks it and tests if its OK to use.

Yes when pins/cables get warm that can be an indication of electric current but the board might be half-fried as well and doesn't necessarily mean that the PSU is 100% functioning as it should.