Question Desktop Won't Turn On

Jun 24, 2019
Hello:

The other day, my computer wouldn't power on. This was surprising considering that the day before everything was working fine - with no issues whatsoever.

The outlet and power strip are both fine.

I first tried changing the CMOS battery, and the computer powered on. It booted up and worked for a few minutes before crashing and restarting. The computer froze on the restart screen, so I powered it off. I tried powering it on again, and it won't power on.

In terms of the power supply, the green light on the back it still on. There are no strange smells coming from inside the computer.

Can someone provide a suggestion as to what might be wrong? Could it still be the power supply (despite no burning smell)?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thank you,

T

Jun 24, 2019
Hello rgd1101:

As I'm posting this on behalf of a friend (who has difficulty with English), I'm doing this from memory.

It has:

Intel motherboard / CPU
AMD video card
750GB RAID drive
16GB RAM

I did take a picture of the power supply, and it is:

Hewlitt Packard
Model: DPS-460DB-3 A
Max Power: 460W

Sorry, that's all I can recall from when I was rooting around inside the case the other day.

There was no apparent corrosion on any of the components either.

Hope this helps.

Thank you,

T

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2019
One thing to add is that the power button stays amber when plugged in. The normal behavior was that when the computer was powered off, the power switch would be off (black). When the computer was powered on, the switch turned blue. It was only when the computer was asleep that the power button would be amber.

Now, if I reset the computer (unplug the computer and hold the power button down for 30 seconds) and plug it back in, the button immediately turns amber when plugging it in. This was the same behavior that was occurring before changing the CMOS battery.