[SOLVED] [DESPERATE]100% Disk Usage even after reformat, I've tried everything

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 8, 2019
Hello all,
I have read many threads/articles about this issue and have tried all the fixes I've found (namely these) to no avail.
My laptop is a little over 2 years old and has barely been used. I've been travelling for work and am more dependent on it lately, and it's nearly impossible to use in this state. I recently did a factory reset and it's still giving me the same issues.
Here's a screenshot showing the usage, as well as a HdTune health report.

PLEASE internet tech gurus, what can I do?! I've debated selling it and buying a new one, but I don't even know what I could get for it in this state.

This is the computer in question, if you need to know the specs.

Solution
You need to download the Windows 10 installation media tool from the MS website (link)

Once you run it you will have the option to install the installation files on a USB.
Anything on that usb will be deleted in order to format and create a bootable section.

The program will download the latest Win ISO from the web and install it on the USB.
Once the USB is ready, you just plug it on the computer and make sure once turning on that you boot from the USB and not the hard drive.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Newegg link isn't working

does it do same thing in safe mode?
go to settings/update & security/recovery
under advanced startup, click restart now button
this restarts PC with a blue menu
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose start up options
click the restart button
choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
Pc will restart and load safe mode

still 100%? If so, it could be the hard drive itself
If its not 100% the difference could be drivers or perhaps startup programs

To test its startup programs, while in safe mode, set up PC to do a clean boot - read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or PC won't start right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

Colif

Win 11 Master

It can also be a driver leak, its why I asked about safe mode and I should have asked what Laptop he has so I can see what drivers it might be. Good point though.

Factory reset could take him back to ice age.

mgallo848

Commendable

I agree but he did say he wasn't really using the laptop until recently he's been more dependent on it for traveling on his job. If he's had it "sitting in the closet" for for quite some time it just might be preparing for Windows 1809 which recently came out.

nobspls

Reputable
Mar 14, 2018
Do you have a good network connection first of all? If windows is busy updating, and you keep on interrupting it, you will end up with a bigger mess, especially with bugs in the older windows update, since you said you've barely used it for like 2 years, which means I am betting none of the updates were done or done successfully. You may need to leave it on connected to network and let it do its update for the next 8-24 hours. Hopefully by then the updates are done the disk utilization will be backed off from 100%. This smells like conflicting updates and a lot of disk thrashing, but until windows update slowly works it thru its issue, it isn't going to get any better.

If you do not feel like waiting, and you have all the needed drivers, and you do NOT mind wiping your disk, then you can just get the latest Windows 10 on USB drive, iso burned to a DVD and do a fresh windows install. But this process would probably take at least a few hours in itself, provided you know what your are doing.

BTW factory reset does not help you solve the problem, because it will still need to do all those updates and you will be back to having to wait.

Jan 31, 2019
In most cases this tends to be an underlying hard drive issue if it persists through installs.

Even so, not always.
One other thing to try is removing all the live tiles from your taskbar and turning off all background applications (settings->Privacy->Background Apps). Removing the live tiles seems to work more often than you'd think imho. Personally, I like to shut off almost all things in Privacy section. Most in there are useless drain of computer resources.

Judging from the vertical length of your task manager window, you have plenty of startup programs too. That could be another driving factor. Also please make sure you don't have two anti-virus programs running concurrently.

Feb 8, 2019
Apologies on the link, it's an Acer vn7 with these specs:
GeForce GTX 960M 2 GB
Quad Core Intel Core i7 4720HQ (2.60 GHz)
8 GB Memory 1 TB HDD

I ran a disc repair overnight last night to no avail.. I will attempt the safe mode and report back. Looks like it's Windows 10 version 1803. Windows update isn't showing anything needing any update.
I'm not sure how to run a smart scan in Hd Tune, but I ran an error scan and it was showing no errors, and everything in the "status" column under health says "ok"
I am only using Windows Defender at the moment. I removed the program that came installed on the computer.
This is so frustrating :(

Feb 8, 2019
I'm not sure how to quote you all individually, so my apologies for the lack of formatting.
I am willing to do a full reinstall, but I am not sure how to get it installed on a USB to use, this computer does not have a disk drive.

Jan 31, 2019
You need to download the Windows 10 installation media tool from the MS website (link)

Once you run it you will have the option to install the installation files on a USB.
Anything on that usb will be deleted in order to format and create a bootable section.

The program will download the latest Win ISO from the web and install it on the USB.
Once the USB is ready, you just plug it on the computer and make sure once turning on that you boot from the USB and not the hard drive.

Solution
May 17, 2020
I have the same laptop and I'm interested to know if you had any luck finding a solution to the 100% disk usage? I just fully reset the laptop as well and it didn't help as much as I thought it would

Colif

Win 11 Master
I have the same laptop and I'm interested to know if you had any luck finding a solution to the 100% disk usage? I just fully reset the laptop as well and it didn't help as much as I thought it would
I would start your own thread as even though some of the people in this thread still come on, the opening poster hasn't been here since Feb last year, and the forum software was changed around same time so he might not get the notification you replied.

Better off with your own thread :)

Status
Not open for further replies.