Question Desperate for help, failing PSU? NVME? Virus?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

kevmachine

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
Hello, about 5 days ago I woke up and noticed my pc had restarted overnight. I thought that it was weird because I have it on 24/7 and never shut it down but I thought maybe it was an update or something. Later It crashed on me when playing a game, which never happened since I owned it. Since then it has crashed dozens of times and I started trying to trouble shoot it. What I have come to notice is, when launching a program off my 2nd nvme, it tends "not always" to crash, and when I say crash I mean no screen, no bsod just the pc shuts completely off and restarts itsself.

I do some transfering of large files, and I had a 40gb file on this nvme, and when ever I copied and pasted it, because I was trying to move stuff off the drive onto my other nvme, as soon as I clicked paste, the very moment, it would crash. I then thought it must be the hard drive... I experimented, by copying the file and pasting it on the same drive in a new folder. it worked no crash... I tried deleting that 2nd copy, no issues.

I even thought maybe its the other nvme failing and I tested that same thing, no issues, but as soon as I copied and pasted from my 2nd nvme J: to my C: it crashed. I thought maybe it was a corrupt file. i transfered something smaller, a game off my J to my C drive, that worked! now im not so sure what it is... I reset my mb to factory no overclocks, ran memory test came back fine. even reseated my ram and gpu seeing how games would crash sometimes and no luck still crashed. very strange why would my pc crash the moment I clicked paste to transfer files from one drive to another? does that pull power from the psu in a specific way that could indicate a bad psu?

I just launched a game on the J drive, the drive I suspected was bad and it crashed in about 5 seconds, well the pc crashed. I unistalled it and gonna install it on another drive to see if it works. I am at a loss. any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

kevmachine

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
Curious to what you did order.

All issues are fixed as of now, new PSU was installed this morning and have not crashed yet 8 hours later knock on wood. Got all 3 of my nvme's installed running perfect, so happy! Thx again to all.

Sadly money was tight so I got this off newegg.ca
Cooler Master MasterWatt 650 MPX-6501-AMAAB-U1

with tax and shipping it came to $63 canadian. I kinda kicked myself in the foot because the next day I noticed that
Seasonic FOCUS GX-650, 650W 80+ Gold

was about $30 more but looks like a much better psu... oh well fingers crossed for this one to last at least a year.

TRENDING THREADS