[SOLVED] Desperate for help, linus forums and reddit have no ideas

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

gammatsunami

Prominent
May 6, 2021
Go fullscreen to watch the afterburner, I get huge GPU drops
Specifically as in 0:34

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLUhaStgM90

See the drop in GPU usage from 99% to 68% ? It happens in games and gives me huge fps drops. I have tried lowering the settings, using DLSS ( all the modes ) not using ray tracing. Nothing seems to help.
It might be hard to see, but I can really feel it. It happens constantly. Happens in pretty much all games.
I have a pretty decent pc;
I am using the LG CX with Gsync ( have confirmed g sync is working in the games with the top right display )

I also had it before I upgraded my pc, back then I have a b550 mobo, 8 year old PSU ( thought that it was a dying PSU not supplying power correctly anymore ) ryzen 5 3600, and running on a 970 SSD.
None of these upgrades helped, as I have previous videos I also made looking for help.

As can be seen at 0:25
View: https://youtu.be/EPWkdYTAyyQ?t=25

Its happening in all games, BF5, DBD, cyberpunk ect

Fresh windows install and nvidia drivers. Has happened since I got the card on launch, so I dont think its drivers.
Have tried gsync on and off, vsync on and off and combinations of both ( What is the proper setup btw ? )

Could it be the RAM perhaps as thats the only thing I havent upgraded from the 3600 cpu build? I really have no ideas since it was happening before, and everything is completely new now except the ram and its still happening. Even the game installs are fresh. Maybe faulty GPU ?
I have read gsync prefers 117 fps so people limit their fps to 117, could that be why?

Last edited:

gammatsunami

Prominent
May 6, 2021
Im at a loss, I bought a 6900xt thinking it was the GPU and its still doing it.
Literally completely different built and its still happening. The only thing I have left from my old build now is ram, if I change that and it doesnt help I am at a loss. Going to borrow my brothers ram, see if it stops it.
Could it maybe be my peripherals?
How would I test for that? Unplug everything and just run a benchmark?
edit; tried different ram
Its the same. Its unreal how bad it is, I dont know what to do. This is with a completely different gpu

View: https://youtu.be/FsxwlWv-YSU

Last edited:
All your cores are running at different clocks and there is like a 1Ghz difference between some of them.
That's perfectly normal and the best way to get the best performance out of your system BUT for games it's not that good if you want smoothness, task manager is always juggling threads around and if a main thread goes from a core at 4.6 to one at 3.6 it's gonna take a moment to rev up to 4.6 again and you will notice that as a stutter.

To be fair, the HW should be capable of more or less instantly revving back up. And 3.6GHz should still be more then enough to keep the GPU fed.

To be fair, the HW should be capable of more or less instantly revving back up. And 3.6GHz should still be more then enough to keep the GPU fed.
It's about the variation in FPS, a difference of 1Ghz will still produce a difference in FPS, even for a split second, and that's what people notice as a stutter.

Yes locking all cores to 3.6 will keep his GPU fed and make sure that all cores run at the same speed all the time, that's the whole point.

It's about the variation in FPS, a difference of 1Ghz will still produce a difference in FPS, even for a split second, and that's what people notice as a stutter.

Yes locking all cores to 3.6 will keep his GPU fed and make sure that all cores run at the same speed all the time, that's the whole point.

My point is the CPU clock going up and down like this "shouldn't" be affecting FPS; it's pretty much how all CPUs work now, and the clock can get up to a higher speed when loading within a few clock cycles (a couple of nano-seconds), far faster then is noticeable by the GPU.

and the clock can get up to a higher speed when loading within a few clock cycles (a couple of nano-seconds), far faster then is noticeable by the GPU.
If you have some sort of sync active that either keeps a buffer or outright waits for the monitor to be ready before sending the next frame.
If you have the game running full throttle then each frame will be thrown to the GPU without any buffer on the card so any variation can potentially become noticeable.

gammatsunami

Prominent
May 6, 2021
So even though I went from a 3090 to a 6900xt its still happening.
I also noticed in HWmonitor it says gpu hotspot 104c, maybe thats throttling it, but it was still happening on the 3090 and the hotspot on that was 90c peak.

It doesnt happen if I go to the lowest possible settings, then only 50% of the gpu is being used.
Its now literally a completely different build vs when I took those earlier COD videos. The only thing not different is the ram. I have even unplugged all peripherals and tried using just a controller, nothing else plugged into my pc but that doesnt help
pic of hw monitor;
https://ibb.co/9TN4bSX

Im not sure if you can see it, but at like 13s I can really feel it. See the gpu usage bouncing all around the place?
I will lock all cores to 3.6ghz and see what happens.

View: https://youtu.be/2Op1PGH2c2U

I locked all the cores to 3.6 and it still seems to happen, watch when I aim down sights. It might be hard to tell because I die, but it feels like the game froze at that point. I will record another map at 3,6ghz. It happens in all games, but its by far the worst in call of duty

Heres a longer clip of me playing, ignore the dying I was just running around watching afterburner.

View: https://youtu.be/dH4WW2mPk_w

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 14196

If you actually use driver booster it could’ve screwed up your windows installation with the wrong drivers

Ralston18

Titan
My suggestion is to do some additional troubleshooting/investigation first.

E.g., verify that the correct drivers are installed as suggested by @Mandark.

Take a simple approach: Go back to basic configurations ("lowest possible settings") where there is no stutter, fps drops, etc.

Minimize launched software at boot up, look for anything unexpected that gets launched after the system has been running for awhile (Task Scheduler), ensure that there no power savers set. Or other timed events setup: backups, updates.

Regain the smoothness and stability. You may loose some performance that affects your game play but that is moot.

You are playing to diagnose a problem.

Then make performance enhancing changes one at a time and test beyond just a few minutes. Some change may seem okay at first but if there is another factor involved, especially if it does not immediately appear, then prematurely making another/the next change could mask another issue.

Look at all parameters after each change. Not just those directly related to the change you made. Look for cause/effect events. Expected and unexpected.

Create a test plan that is methodical and uses some step by step approach to narrow down the problem source and/or eliminate possibilities.

Multipart plan: focus on CPU, GPU, etc. in the order and manner you deem applicable. Watch Task Manager and Resource Monitor.

gammatsunami

Prominent
May 6, 2021
I tried disabling everything on startup, and only running the minimum and it kept doing it. I have the game settings turned down to be using 50% of the gpu, 15% cpu ect and its still doing it.

What drivers should I be checking? The AMD drivers are using the auto find software, but it was happening on the 3090 too so I cant imagine its the gpu drivers. What other drivers could it be? I dont use boostdriver

gammatsunami

Prominent
May 6, 2021
Ill have to look that up, im not sure what command rate is.
I set all the cores to 3.6 and it still happened.

I dont have a disc drive, so I didnt get to use the disc my taichi 570 came with, what would be on that?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
https://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/690464-What-is-1T-2T

Since nothing else seems to be working thought id have a stab at being cpu + ram related. Being that Ryzen's are divided into chiplets relying on ram speed to communicate between, perhaps if command rate was set to 2T, latency could possibly improve with 1T eliminating what you're experiencing.

Reason for the core/ thread suggestion on the first page was to try help rule out this possiblity.

gammatsunami

Prominent
May 6, 2021
Thanks so much for taking the time to do this, ill try it out thank you

edit
It was set to auto, ill try it on 2, then on 1 and let you know

Im not sure if its doing something bad, but sometimes I notice theres about 5 or 6 of those amd radeon software icons in the taskbar bottom right, and when I hover over them they all go away except one, maybe somethings crashing ?

Last edited:

gammatsunami

Prominent
May 6, 2021
It happens in all games except rainbow six siege. The reason all my videos are of call of duty, its thats when its worst in.
Changing to t1, t2 didnt help.

The only way I dont get it in COD is if I go to the absolute lowest settings. Smooth as when I do that but looks horrendous
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wuepb1_EdQY

there is a video in the lowest settings ( surprised how much gpu is still used ) might wanna let it process first.

gammatsunami

Prominent
May 6, 2021
Thanks heaps for taking the time, I will try that now.
May I ask, how come when I set it to its lowest its still using 90% of the gpu at some times ( but never goes to 100%, so why is it always sitting around 114fps ? ) so could it just be that when upping settings, its too much even for 100% ?
Its so butter smooth at lowest settings.

Thanks heaps for taking the time, I will try that now.
May I ask, how come when I set it to its lowest its still using 90% of the gpu at some times ( but never goes to 100%, so why is it always sitting around 114fps ? ) so could it just be that when upping settings, its too much even for 100% ?
Its so butter smooth at lowest settings.
For a long winded answer

Modern game engines operate on the principle that the state of the game is updated at a fixed, but a fast enough interval. This allows for a wide range of hardware to run the game without worrying if running the game on a faster or slower CPU changes how fast or slow the game runs. So if a game updates a 100Hz, as long as the CPU can finish everything to update the game state every 10ms, then the game runs without a problem. The thing is, this is the highest priority in running a game. So the CPU is going to simulate the next state before it does anything else.

When it comes to rendering what's going on in the game, this is done after the next game state has been processed. After all the visual representation of the game must show the last known state, otherwise you're presented with stale information. Any free time the CPU has after simulating the game state can be spent on sending commands to the GPU as long as the GPU can accept it. However, if for some reason the CPU cannot complete what the game engine asked it to in the current interval, it spills into the next interval and no commands are sent to the GPU. The assumption here is that some spillover is fine, as long as the CPU has time to catch up. Everything breaks down when the CPU has a hard time catching up.

So taking the 100Hz case for instance, if there's enough stuff to cause 5 spillover events, the most the CPU can send to the GPU at this point is 95 frames in a second. If there are 50 spillover events, then this drops the maximum frame rate down to 50. If the GPU is sufficiently fast enough to handle over 100 FPS, then it's going to idle during those spillover moments.

gammatsunami

Prominent
May 6, 2021
Last edited: