[SOLVED] Desperate For Help Updating Bios On ASROCK B450M PRO4-CB To Recognize Ryzen 5600X

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 23, 2022
NEED EXPERT BIOS ADVICE

My son’s CyberPower PC has an SI specific ASROCK B450M Pro4 mobo labeled “B450M Pro4-CB” It’s the same exact board as the ASROCK one that you can buy at retail just without the “CB”. The pictures, specs, etc are all the same. My guess is some bios settings are different and that’s it.

This also means the BIOS updates must come from CyberPower and not ASROCK. ASROCK has a ton of updates (very recent in fact) but CyberPower’s last update was December 2019! This means even using the latest CyberPower BIOS update I can’t get the PC to post using the Ryzen 5 5600X I got him for his Birthday today. I read that the CPU was comparable with the board and assumed it would work not realizing that “-CB” would bite me.

I tried to flash using the ASROCK BIOS updates using Instant Flash as shown below and the only one it would recognize is the one I downloaded from CyberPower last updated on Dec 2019.
I’m a noob when it comes to building computers and havee googled and searched but haven’t found a solution. I doubt CyberPower is going to help so emailing them seems pointless.

What options do I have here besides buying a new motherboard which seems like a waste to me?

9uv7xJ6.jpg

aRhDXfT.jpg

Lf06xQp.jpg

jrbZHL1.jpg

FYiOsCQ.jpg

Last edited:
Solution
the best option may be to just harvest what may be viable;
storage space,
maybe RAM depending on the size and speed included,
graphics card if it can handle the frames provided by the 5600X,
case & fans if it offers adequate airflow with powerful enough fans to make use of it...
and just take some time to build a nicer custom system.

usually turns out to be a nice project to share with any child.

include the complete specs of the current system with make & model of all components.
if this is indeed a CyberPower OEM motherboard than any updates more than likely need to to come from them directly.
if searching AsRock home page for this specific motherboard model does not return any hits then i doubt they are providing support.
I doubt CyberPower is going to help so emailing them seems pointless
if the CyberPower support page for this particular model doesn't offer any further updated BIOS revisions then it's likely they just do not exist.

contacting them directly would not be pointless because they could provide you with specifics regarding this issue;
if AsRock is expected to provide direct support,
if CyberPower has dropped further support and the BIOS has received no further updates,
if they could provide a link to an updated support page with these files or maybe send you a BIOS update directly, etc...
What options do I have here besides buying a new motherboard
if this system is still under warranty then changing out the motherboard would void any coverage on all other components.
you should definitely contact CyberPower support and see what they have to say about the matter.

CyberPower has been known to provide lackluster support and to produce and distribute systems that do not live up to their intended performance.
this could just turn into a hard lesson learned in regards to PCs in general.
when purchasing pre-built systems it's always better to put in a lot of research and make sure you know ALL include component's make & model and that all are top quality before purchasing.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2022
if this is indeed a CyberPower OEM motherboard than any updates more than likely need to to come from them directly.
if searching AsRock home page for this specific motherboard model does not return any hits than i doubt they are providing support.

if this system is still under warranty then changing out the motherboard would void any coverage on all other components.
you should definitely contact CyberPower support and see what they have to say about the matter.

It was a computer he bought with his own money 2 years ago (when he was 11). He got it from a local computer shop. I knew it was a prebuilt but assumed (incorrectly) that the MOBO was an off the shelf one so this would be a good starter system. My fault there. He's loved it for 2 years though so that makes it hurt less.

It's definitely not in warranty anymore so no issues replacing hardware if needed.

Here's the link where CyberPower has the BIOS updates and where I found the latest one (most recent 5/20): http://www.cyberpowerinc.com/drivers/?dir=Motherboards/BIOS/Asrock/B450M PRO4-CB

Here's the link to the ASROCK website where their updates are listed (most recent 5/21): http://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/B450 Pro4/#BIOS

the best option may be to just harvest what may be viable;
storage space,
maybe RAM depending on the size and speed included,
graphics card if it can handle the frames provided by the 5600X,
case & fans if it offers adequate airflow with powerful enough fans to make use of it...
and just take some time to build a nicer custom system.

usually turns out to be a nice project to share with any child.

include the complete specs of the current system with make & model of all components.

Reactions: warmengine
Solution
Apr 23, 2022
Here's how the machine looks now. I gave him the new CPU and RAM for his Birthday today. I already installed the RAM but the CPU is obviously not installed yet because it won't work with that existing MOBO due to the BIOS issue.

Motherboard: ASROCK B450M Pro4-CB
Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 Currently (Upgrading To Ryzen 5 5600X)
RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600Mhz (2 x 8GB)
GPU: XFX RX580 8GB (Goal is to upgrade this for him at Christmas to a 2060 or similar)
Storage (OS): 250GB AData SSD
Storage: 2TB WD HDD

the power supply,
CPU cooler,
case,
and included fans are integral components to make full use of the rest of the components at their full capacity.

temperature plays a larger roll in the optimal performance of modern systems.

and the lower quality power supplies usually included in these pre-built systems often lead to poor performance and/or more prevalent issues.
Goal is to upgrade this for him at Christmas to a 2060
definitely would be aiming more for an RTX 3070 or RX 6700 XT with this setup to match the performance of the precessor.

will provide better performance for a longer period of time.

Apr 23, 2022

YOU are my HERO! Thank you so much! This might save the day and save me $130 on a new board. I just put that on the thumb drive and it does indeed recognize it. I'll install it tomorrow and re-install the new CPU for a 3rd time. Hopefully 3rd time's the charm and it works. Anything else that needs to be updated or installed while I'm at it? The link for the actual mobo that's not CyberPower shows downloading "AMD all in 1 with VGA driver" before installing most of the recent versions if you look at the link above. I did install an older version of that but wasn't sure if that would matter or not here?

Also, totally random. How bad would the pre-applied thermal paste be now that the CPU cooler and CPU have been attached and re-attached multiple times since I've had it in there twice and had to remove it. OK to run it for a while and order some new thermal paste to re-apply or shouldn't use it until I buy some thermal paste?

Reactions: tylermatthews2
YOU are my HERO! Thank you so much! This might save the day and save me $130 on a new board. I just put that on the thumb drive and it does indeed recognize it. I'll install it tomorrow and re-install the new CPU for a 3rd time. Hopefully 3rd time's the charm and it works. Anything else that needs to be updated or installed while I'm at it? The link for the actual mobo that's not CyberPower shows downloading "AMD all in 1 with VGA driver" before installing most of the recent versions if you look at the link above. I did install an older version of that but wasn't sure if that would matter or not here?

Also, totally random. How bad would the pre-applied thermal paste be now that the CPU cooler and CPU have been attached and re-attached multiple times since I've had it in there twice and had to remove it. OK to run it for a while and order some new thermal paste to re-apply or shouldn't use it until I buy some thermal paste?
Definitely wait untill you have new paste. You could ruin the new CPU

Reactions: tylermatthews2
Apr 23, 2022
Thanks. Picked up the Corsair XTM50 kit from Best Buy today. Just cleaned off the CPU and Cooler and will be doing the BIOS update in about 30 minutes. I assume it's pretty common for the color of the stock cooler to not be the same color as the rest of the unit? Some dark areas mixed in where the paste goes is common? I wiped multiple times and with some energy and couldn't wipe it to be the same color as the rest of the color. CPU came off no problem at all.

Apr 23, 2022
SUCCESS! Thanks again! The only issue I'm having now is if I set the XMP to 'Auto' and then 3600Mhz which is what his new memory is it doesn't want to post and gives me a blue screen (can't recall what it said). It then booted into BIOS where I changed it to 3200MHz and the PC booted into Windows like nothing happened. Looks like this could be a common issue with motherboards and memory? Anyone have any insight into that?

Status
Not open for further replies.