[SOLVED] Desperate for Vega 64 Aftermarket Cooling

AramMorK

Honorable
Aug 3, 2015
TLDR: What is the best, cheap solution (besides tweaking fan and voltage curves) to get my refernce Vega 64 cool and quiet?

Hey everyone! I am making this thread because I have had it with my Sapphire Vega 64 (reference) being so freakishly loud. Right now, to keep my card from thermal throttling, I have to crank the fans to 100%--making a god-awful and loud noise. I have made other fan profiles and tweaked with voltages and clocks on my own, so that is out of the picture. Anyways, tweaking these settings is not satisfying me. I want a better cooling solution overall. And just as I got the money for the cheapest and best Vega aftermarket cooling solution (the RAIJINTEK MORPHEUS II), it became discontinued. And it is at this point that I am completely lost. I can't seem to find a cooler from the LE Vega 64s for sale anywhere, every single other aftermarket cooler from NZXT or Arctic is incompatible with Vega, and it looks like my only option still being offered for sale is the Alphacool Eiswolf Vega edition (or the EK equivalent). Now, while I do recognize the superiority of those solutions above all else, I do also recognize my wallet. 200+ dollars is simply too much for me to justify (I only spent 400 on the whole card after all). If anyone knows of anything that can get me the cool and quiet aftermarket cooler that I seek around only 100, I would be most grateful.

Oh, and I am also partial to the idea of performing light modifications to the card involving only adding components (please no drills or the like).

Thank you!

Solution
Thanks for the response, but I have already done some heavy tweaking with undervolting. It did indeed work wonders, but I want better. Basically, aftermarket or bust ;)
Could always liquid metal it but that’s a tad risky. Or you could swap the paste for a better quality one.

AramMorK

Honorable
Aug 3, 2015
Have you tried re-applying thermal paste? That took my RX480 from 85C @ 2400rpm to 73C @ 1100rpm.

Not yet, but I'm pretty sure that is what I am going to end up doing since full on cooler replacements are seemingly impossible to find on a budget. Maybe some Kryonaut or Conductonaut will do the trick.

koson123

Prominent
Oct 12, 2018
I dont think that is normal. sapphire makes good coolers if you are running that hot i would try to return/replace it. i have a cheap 56 and it runs at like 70c with a blower cooler(and quiet) after undervolting

AramMorK

Honorable
Aug 3, 2015
Thank you to everyone who responded, I ended up simply repasting with some Arctic Silver 5 I had lying around, and blowing out any dust or debris that was in there over the past year I had the card. It seems to have dropped me around 2-5 C at the same fan speed. Not much, but it's something. Also, RIP. The month after I picked up my card, the t h i c c Sapphire Nitro+ went on sale for the same price, plus three free games.