Desperate help needed please

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

michelleschefe

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2011
MY husband did a system recovery while I was sleep the other night and not knowing what he was doing!! I went to undo it but the only day it will let me click on is today. I guess I am okay with losing all my documents and pics BUT my drive C is showing 100% full. I have deleted programs, defraged, diskclean up etc and nothing is working. I am getting the error message about being low and to do a disk clean up but when I do it nothing changes!!!! Its a emachines desktop running XP. Its old but my son uses this one all the time. I have googled this to death all day and nothing is working. How can my drive be full when it wasnt before the recovery. Doesnt a recovery set everything back to factory settings? I sure wish he woulda have done a restore instead lol. PLEASE HELP!!!!!

michelleschefe

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2011

Okay, I am looking through all the files now. When I did that itunes search and those files came up, do I delete them or can I bring them back, or do I just leave it alone. I am going to look all through these things now and see if I can find something. Let ya know shortly. TY again!!!

michelleschefe

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2011

In one of the backups theres soething called move_recovery but its only 1kb. I have no clue what is up with all the backups lol

IN the bundle the two folders r support and valueadd. Theres a bunch of sub folders under the word though but no clue what any of it means. MSFT,FONTS,MGMT,CIMV2R5,MSTSC_HPC,WBEMODBC,NET,NETBEUI,TOOLS,NTBACKUP,USMT, AND ANSI

michelleschefe

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2011

Then the files must be hidden and the folders you have are the links to them. But now you know that your important data is not deleted and by doing the search you can find them and even transfer them to your laptop by either burn to cd or usb stick and after they are copied to the laptop you can delete them and eventually free up some space. Meanwhils continue to look for the original windows , maybe you can search for that and you can even go into windows help and restore to see if there is something there to help you. I know you said you can't restore but windows help does have a lot of info to help with a lot of different circumstances.

michelleschefe

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2011

Okay I just looked through the box I got with this in the basement and I did find a cd. Its caled system recovey cd/dvd. Is that something?

That sounds like your Windows cd/dvd and you can try putting that in and running it , hopefully it will come up with the option to save your personal files and folders.

michelleschefe

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2011

IN one of the back ups theres a system recovery folder and in it is app;ication and driver recovery, create my drivers applications cds shortcut, and system recovery shortcut 2kb. Actually they all say shortcut lol

michelleschefe

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2011

ON the CD it says mocrosoft windows XP home edition system recovery cd/dvd. Then it says to use this disc to reinstall your operating system. Warning, the recovery prcess erases all data and files from the hard drive,

Isnt that what he did though just without the disk?

A shortcut is a link to something , a file , folder or application.

Well , it seems like the recovery that was done didn't erase anything , it just put it somewhere , the disk will erase everythingg and start over. So the best thing to do right now is find everything you can to save and then run the disk and you will then have a new install with 95% of the hdd free.