Leonniar

Honorable
Jan 31, 2016
Hello guys,
Recently Windows <Mod Edit> up my computer and now after a format of my C drive, I copied all its contents using ubuntu and now I am copying them over.
99% of the files get the "Destination Folder Access Denied" error so pretty much out of the 40GB of files about 500MB get copied over. Keep in mind the folders I am trying to move are:
  • Program Data
  • Program Files
  • Program Files (x86)
  • Users
I changed my C drive's permissions, gave full access to any user. Also enabled full control on file sharing. I also tried User Account Control Settings and set them to never notify. None of these seem to work.
I am trying to copy the documents, downloads, desktop etc. folders of the main user as well so I can have my desktop as it was and get my apps back as well as pinned apps, shortcuts etc.
How can I copy my files over? Any ideas? Is there any other way I could do this?

USAFRet

Titan
Mar 16, 2013
I didn't try to move the install, windows was corrupt and coulfn't even load safe mode. I just copied all the folders I had on drive C: that were important and I am hoping to paste them back. I did a clean re-install of windows.
What should I do ?
And all those folders belong to the old OS and the old NTFS user.

Permissions.
You cannot just move those folders into the new install. As you've seen, it breaks everything.

The ONLY thing that is sort of valuable is your personal data.
Applications can be reinstalled.

For the Documents/Pictures/etc libraries, look into TakeOwnership.

Then, copy the files...not the libraries, into the new OS install.
Reinstall all your applications.

Later, look into a REAL backup situation which would have made this whole thing a non-issue.

Leonniar

Honorable
Jan 31, 2016
You cannot move a Windows install like that.
You cannot change the 'permissions' like that.

Not even a little bit.

Pretty much every thing you've done is precisely the wrong way to do it.
I didn't try to move the install, windows was corrupt and coulfn't even load safe mode. I just copied all the folders I had on drive C: that were important and I am hoping to paste them back. I did a clean re-install of windows.
What should I do ?

USAFRet

Titan
Mar 16, 2013
What should I do ?

Permissions.
You cannot just move those folders into the new install. As you've seen, it breaks everything.

Later, look into a REAL backup situation which would have made this whole thing a non-issue.

Leonniar

Honorable
Jan 31, 2016

Permissions.

I thought I had done the exact same thing in the past and it worked. Apparently not? I know apps can be reinstalled, but I was looking to save myself some trouble. Now that I think about it probably the smart thing to do would be to make a proper backup when I was using ubuntu right?
From what I understand there is no way to do what I am trying to do?

USAFRet

Titan
Mar 16, 2013
I thought I had done the exact same thing in the past and it worked. Apparently not? I know apps can be reinstalled, but I was looking to save myself some trouble. Now that I think about it probably the smart thing to do would be to make a proper backup when I was using ubuntu right?
From what I understand there is no way to do what I am trying to do?
Exactly.
What you are trying to do cannot be done.
And will only make things worse, the farther you go down that road.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS