Destiny Makes More Than $500 Million On First Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

gsxrme

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
I've noticed at bungie I can link my PSN account and my Microsoft account just like Final Fantasys account settings. I would love to see me able to join my friends game from xbox and play with him on playstation. Square has shown us cross platform is possible and I would like to see Destiny apply this to make the game perfect.

Cross-Platform please!

Please dont give us this different draw range BS. Every PC game has different settings and we don't see people crying.

Cross-Platform please!

chrisafp07

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2012
I hate when PC is neglected but I will not give in and buy a console to play games at lower fidelity. Guess I'm still waiting so badly for Star Citizen.

Well unless it's available on PC, it might as well not exist for me.
I strongly disagree. There are plenty of exclusives that I want quite badly... this almost being one of them, if it weren't going to be released on PC.

Considering it's a philosophical remake of Halo, though, I doubt us PC gamers will be seeing it ANYTIME soon.

soccerplayer88

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
Well unless it's available on PC, it might as well not exist for me.

Good thing it's slated for a PC release then. Well not confirmed but it was implied by Bungie. (and let's be honest, this is from Activision, if there is money to be had on a platform they will produce for it).

Looking at early reviews it doesn't look great for Destiny. Many people complain that the game is just boring.

I'll be waiting patiently for the PC release. Hopefully some things get addressed between here and there.

coolitic

Distinguished
May 10, 2012
Devs get 500 million dollars in funding to make game, people barely notice game is released.

Star citizen has over 50 million dollars in funding, and people wait for it every day.

THAT is the line between mainstream games and indie ones.

The old "explore the ancient ruins of our solar system in a social, living universe filled with other players as you journey through environments spanning the red dunes of Mars to the lush jungles of Venus while creating your own legend as you and your friends venture out into the stars to reclaim the treasures and secrets lost after the collapse of humanity" routine.

whalio

Honorable
Nov 17, 2013
As a PC gamer I feel incredibly disheartened that not even ACTIVISION wants to cash in on the PC crowd. We want Destiny, we're willing to pay, but the PC version hasn't even been announced. What a shame.

cozmium

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011
One needs to keep in mind that the reason games often don't come out on pc along with console like this (and GTA5 etc) is so the publishers can ensure minimal piracy and maximum return on their investment. Once they are satisfied with profits it's very reasonable to assume it will dribble on to the pc.

If it was on pc too, then every proper gamer will have a gaming pc and want it for that platform - how many of those will pirate it is hard to say, but it's just simpler to ignore the pc initially unfortunately.

reichscythe

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008
C'mon guys...really?

This info is based on a press release citing what the publisher SOLD-IN to retailers, not SOLD-THROUGH to actual consumers...

Activision merely SHIPPED half a billion dollars worth of product to stores on Day One... No word on how many copies they actually sold or how much money Destiny actually made on Day One...

That argument is outdated and ridiculous, and has been proven so for a long time now.

The reason exclusives exist is because they make money and they sell consoles to teenagers whose parents don't know any better. The reason games don't come out for PC is because it's harder to code for PC and you simultaneously have to invest more into your graphics engine to make something that doesn't come out as a really cruddy console port.

As for piracy, you're way off base. The idiots who are going to steal games are going to do it regardless - just because something is a console game does NOT mean that it's free from piracy... the top five torrents on The Pirate Bay when you search for 'destiny' are pirated copies of the game that you can burn to disk and play on your console without paying for it.

That is not a new trend. There have been many studies, some of them rather questionable however, that have claimed that per-unit, piracy was more frequent on consoles. While I don't believe the statistics, I do like to believe that there are enough of us who only pirate games as an anti-capitalist attempt to keep game companies honest. (In other words, trying to unto what happened when companies realized they make a lot more money by making a bad game and not releasing a demo of it.) I know that a lot of us use 'downloaded' games just as a means of seeing if a game is worth the money, so that we can then take our limited funds and spend them to support companies that actually produce quality product.

Now, there are going to be plenty of kids who just want to get 'free games' to go along with their brand new alienware that mommy and daddy bought them, but there are also going to be kids who do that with their brand new xbox ones and ps4s, too. So no, piracy is not the motivating factor behind why companies don't release PC versions of games.

erickmendes

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2012
That console-only thing going on... Total BS. A PC Game that won't go to consoles make sense, the first Crysis was a good example of this. The most powerful PC's barely could stand it, the than consoles couldn't even load it. But a console game not coming to PC's, it's simply a political decision.
Sure your default Home Depot PC won't break the requisites to run AA+ games, but PC's GPU/CPU power grow leaps faster than the close to static console renovation cycle... There's simply NO console game that can't be run in a mid-range enthusiast PC.

What the publishers want to do is force the hand of gamers (be them PC or not) into buying an console. Want Destiny really bad, at it full glory? Get a last gen console.

F*cking no way, MS/Sony. I prefer to play Patience till my eyes roll out of my face instead of paying premium bucks for a piece of out-dated non-upgradable hardware.

While it still out of the PC realm, Destiny's destiny is not of my concern.

lorezz77

Reputable
Sep 3, 2014
@DarkSable

It's harder to code for PC? What? The new consoles are just PCs. Nothing exotic about their architecture. The contrary is true. With consoles you have to optimize a lot, with PCs who cares if the game doesn't run properly on current GFX cards or CPUs, let's wait for the next batch and for them to upgrade their hardware.

As for piracy, even though it exists on older consoles it's not as simple as on PC. For newer consoles, PS4 and Xbox One, well there's none at the moment.

It is harder to code for the PC, because you have to deal with the fact that their hardware setup could be nearly anything. For a game development company, giving options and making sure it runs well on high end and low end hardware both is a lot harder than optimizing it for one single set of hardware like the consoles have. Not every game company is going to want to produce another Metro by not caring if it should run well or not.

Yes, it's easier on PC, but at the same time, there are a lot more console gamers out there. I'm just saying... claiming that the only reason developers don't make games for the PC is because they might get pirated is just silly. Show me a highly-pirated PC game that isn't also highly successful and I'll bow down, but claiming that PC games don't make money because of piracy just isn't true.

youssef 2010

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2009
Waiting for a PC version. I spent more than 2000$ on my PC so, I'm not going to buy a console for a game, even if they do the same thing to the new Mass Effect (One of my favourite games EVER).

daekar

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
After watching reviews of this game, it appears to be Halo + RPG-style progress (including RNG drops) + DLC content. It's still just a FPS with a slightly different progression model... whoopee.

ZeusGamer

Admirable
Like everyone has been saying about this game, it's a disappinted at the fact that this game will not be on PC anytime soon. While it looks very beautiful on the consoles already, I'm still willing to wait for this game to be released on PC. I just ported from PlayStation 4 a couple months ago just because I am tired of playing on consoles.

Guys, for those of you who dont know, this is actually more closer to an EPIC fail rather than success.
Here is why:

First of all, 500 million were invested. Those were invested some time ago, and inflation would have to be taken into consideration.

Second, this was a very marketed game. That means that units will sell better at launch, and fade very fast. Usually 90% of the sales will happen in the first week, and from that 90%, 85% on launch day, perhaps day 2.

Third, Taxes have to be paid, and those are NOT lowered by previous years costs on the games production, as taxes have yearly cycles.

Now, most of those facts may change over time, but there is a reason why we see Destiny news everywhere, and how much they sale: Activision and blizzard sure would like more investors.
I dont remember Blizzard going out every year to boast about how much money they make when WoW was at its prime.

Here is the rule of money: when you have a lot of it, you keep quiet. Its when you starting to get low when you have to try to show otherwise.

You dont see many guys who win the lottery run around and scream it to everyone, do you?

Status
Not open for further replies.