Destiny May Possibly Come to Windows PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

atavax

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
I am a PC gamer that's primary genre is multiplayer fps. I have a great respect for bungie, with what they have been able to do on consoles and i am sad that they have not yet made a PC shooter. I would love to be able to play one of their games on PC. But i don't want a port. Converting a shooter to PC isn't simply making it work with the hardware of the PC.

ram1009

Distinguished
Console makers are doing their best to cut their own throats so stay out of their way. For years all the talk was about how much simpler it was to develop a console game because the platform never changed. Now, both Sony & Microsoft have abandoned their own customers by making their new consoles & games incompatible with their old stuff. IMHO, that's very short sighted. The end result will be that devs now have two more platforms than they previously had. A win for PC gaming.

... can it really be that difficult to go from and x86 Windows 8 console to an x86 Windows 8 PC? I mean, sure it is hardly an automatic process... but we are not talking about nearly as big a leap as it would be between the two consoles.

Somehow I assumed it was coming to PC this whole time. Somewhere in the original rumors it was mentioned that it was coming to both consoles and PC... I understand that they are rumors, but rumors today have become a science more accurate than quoting promises made by CEOs, so I sort of took it for granted.

That is the main benefit to the new consoles, porting becomes much easier. And from the XB1 it would be even easier since it is using a Windows 8 kernel and DirectX API. But that is the limit. Optimizations will be platform specific, especially since the XB1 uses the eDRAM tech that gives it a strange twist.

Realist9

Reputable
May 31, 2014
Well, I hope "easier to port" translates into something other than horrid controls, weaker graphics, and dumbded down game play. The list of horrible ports to the PC is much longer than ports done well.

I just want some original PC content. Keep the console garbage where it belongs. Barring GTA V (Rockstar still makes awful PC ports) as being decent only for the content, as the game will no doubt be a poor port with glitches, there's nothing put out on consoles worth having on PC. Invariably, I'll get a game that is poorly ported with poor support (consolites might stand for it, I won't.) with graphics toned down to run on some 3rd-worlder's pentium. I pay good money for my computer, I expect it should be taken advantage of.

Frankly, there's not much put out on PC worth having either. The industry has fallen to milking old hits and the end result is you get a good game once every 5 years. That's why I like the indie scene. They're not nearly as inclined to milk an emaciated, though good-looking, cow to death.

NBSN

Admirable
Honestly I don't care anymore. Sure when Destiny was first announce, my interest was piqued and I watched the crap-fest of announcements and such. The bullcrap of saying that they did not want to develop for PC because developing for all of the consoles was enough and they did not want to stretch themselves to thin. Well why release a "next-gen" game on last gen? They want Destiny to last for ten years through season passes, dlc, or whatever else...then why put it on a system or systems that probably won't last til 2020 (talking about last gen systems) and this new gen of systems that honestly will probably be switched out by 2020 or 2022 anyway?

And PS4 will be the "definitive Destiny experience" line. REALLY? Well, first off, trying to bullcrap me cost you a sale. Secondly, already claiming that a console will be better for the game than my much more powerful and better PC. Third, if/when it comes to PC, several months will have passed since it come out on other systems. Fourth, probably just a bad port anyway.

Yeah, keep the Destiny crap...it sounds like another Titanfall...only multiplatform.

atavax

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
The PC is a great platform, but the consoles are dominating the market, devs are gonna make games for whatever will make them money.

PC game revenue is larger then consoles... http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2014/04/28/as-global-pc-game-revenue-surpasses-consoles-how-long-should-console-makers-keep-fighting/

Status
Not open for further replies.