News Destroyed Ryzen 7000X3D CPU Pin Analysis Raises More Questions

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
lol, influencers.
You have to buy the broken CPU that's trending instead of just breaking one for yourself.
How do you know that you've broken it in the same way, or what it even takes to break it?

How do you know how many boards or CPUs you'd have to buy, in order to get a failure? It's obviously not that common, or this wouldn't be coming to light only now.

InvalidError

Titan
Debau8r now says it may be related to EXPO and not x3d as he has more chips like it.

That's a big youch. I have 6000 cl30 ram running expo. AMD will get eaten alive if this is a design flaw.
Well, technically, even automatic memory OC isn't covered under warranty. All AMD needs to do is find the safe limit for whatever is frying chips and tell all board manufacturers to implement that limit if it isn't something AMD can bake into an AGESA update.

D

Deleted member 2838871

Debau8r now says it may be related to EXPO and not x3d as he has more chips like it.

That's a big youch. I have 6000 cl30 ram running expo. AMD will get eaten alive if this is a design flaw.

Yeah just saw his video.

My new 7950x3D and MSI Mag x670e Tomahawk blew up this weekend.. It was fine for 3 days before blowing up.

I had no visible damage to the CPU or the socket. I was on Steam and I heard a very faint popping sound come from mobo… display went out and then PC shut off. Attempting to turn it back on resulted in lights coming on and fans spinning for one second then immediate shutdown. Removed GPU… same result. Swapped to different PSU… same result. Original mobo with no CPU… same result. New mobo with original CPU… same result. New mobo with no CPU… system posted. With that I concluded both mobo and CPU were toast. RMA’ed both and back up and running with new CPU and mobo and same DDR5 6000 CL30 modules with EXPO disabled. System was and still is running with no OC… same as Reddit poster I believe.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
My new 7950x3D and MSI Mag x670e Tomahawk blew up this weekend.. It was fine for 3 days before blowing up.

I had no visible damage to the CPU or the socket. I was on Steam and I heard a very faint popping sound come from mobo… display went out and then PC shut off.
What settings? OC? EXPO? What were your temps like? Which PSU model? How is the A/C power quality & stability, in your area?

Even if seemingly irrelevant, more details are usually better. Thanks for reporting.

D

Deleted member 2838871

What settings? OC? EXPO? What were your temps like? Which PSU model? How is the A/C power quality & stability, in your area?

Even if seemingly irrelevant, more details are usually better. Thanks for reporting.

Specs are in sig.

Default settings… I didn’t change anything except turn on EXPO. No OC.

EVGA 1000W G+ PSU that has since been upgraded to 1300+. PCPP shows 900W so I went with more breathing room.

Temps were normal. Max temps under cpu burn test all core for 30 mins hit 86C. Gaming temps much lower.

No power issues that I’m aware of. I’m in Seattle metro and was connected to surge protector.

I swapped parts including PSU to verify that the cpu and mobo died… and nothing else.

Reactions: bit_user

InvalidError

Titan
From all the incidents that have been reported on so far, it seems all systems where the CPU failed with a Vddcr blister had EXPO on. And Travis just posted that this was the only thing non-stock on his setup too while I was writing the first sentence.

D

Deleted member 2838871

From all the incidents that have been reported on so far, it seems all systems where the CPU failed with a Vddcr blister had EXPO on. And Travis just posted that this was the only thing non-stock on his setup too while I was writing the first sentence.

Yes… and I’ve seen multiple people say to turn off EXPO which I now have. Will be interesting to see the upcoming Gamers Nexus analysis.

InvalidError

Titan
Yes… and I’ve seen multiple people say to turn off EXPO which I now have. Will be interesting to see the upcoming Gamers Nexus analysis.
I don't expect much useful information to come out of that apart from confirming which traces got the crap overheated out of them to create the blister. If they want to deep-dive some more into it, I suppose they could also strip the dies to find out which area shorted out and maybe check out the die-side of the substrate too.

From what motherboard manufacturers have told GN&friends so far, it sounds like the issue may ultimately boil down to voltage shenanigans when EXPO is turned on.

Apr 26, 2023
Well, technically, even automatic memory OC isn't covered under warranty. All AMD needs to do is find the safe limit for whatever is frying chips and tell all board manufacturers to implement that limit if it isn't something AMD can bake into an AGESA update.

Hang on a moment that won't cut it in a lot of countries. AMD themselves stated that the "sweet spot for memory is 6000Mhz" meaning they are expecting people to use memory profiles such as EXPO, they advertised the fact that the board is EXPO compatible as did their board partners who used it as a selling point for their boards - so at the end of the day AMD can not turn around and say "oh no you overclocked your memory and your CPU isn't under warranty" because they gave no warning to the fact that running these EXPO memory profiles is considered overclocking and would void your warranty - which you will note they have been extremally careful about doing everywhere else and in fact they are promoting the product on that basis"

Under US law and NZ law they would be laughed out of court, If you sell a product on the basis it can do X and then that causes a problem you are responsible, you can't then turn around and say "well technically" or we put a disclaimer in tiny print on our website. That won't work here - you have to explicitly state not to do it.

Also don't come back with stupid examples like do not insert knife into eye - nobody buys a knife on the basis that manufacturers say it can be inserted into your eye so that would be false equivalence.

D

Deleted member 2838871

Also don't come back with stupid examples like do not insert knife into eye - nobody buys a knife on the basis that manufacturers say it can be inserted into your eye so that would be false equivalence.

Totally agree with the above post.

Yes mine burnt up and yes I was using EXPO... the same EXPO that AMD uses in their advertisements to promote their products.

My parts have been returned and replaced. I am totally not expecting any issues with my RMA... and am totally prepared to dispute the charges with my CC company citing the numerous hardware failure stories that have blown up the internet in the past few days.

AMD will make good. ;)

InvalidError

Titan
Hang on a moment that won't cut it in a lot of countries. AMD themselves stated that the "sweet spot for memory is 6000Mhz" meaning they are expecting people to use memory profiles such as EXPO, they advertised the fact that the board is EXPO compatible as did their board partners who used it as a selling point for their boards
Which is why I wrote in an earlier post that it makes no sense to me that AMD (and Intel) would advertise (or even include) features that void their warranty.

D

Deleted member 2838871

Which is why I wrote in an earlier post that it makes no sense to me that AMD (and Intel) would advertise (or even include) features that void their warranty.

I agree. Makes no sense at all. I will totally use it in a potential CC dispute though but as said... I don't expect it to go that far. AMD will do the right thing.

They don't, at least from the wording on the intel page, XMP is fine and under warranty, for the CPU, as long as you stay within the specs of the CPU.
You would lose the warranty on the RAM but not on the CPU.

Does Use of Intel® Extreme Memory Profile (Intel® XMP) Void the CPU Warranty?​

Altering the frequency and/or voltage outside of Intel specifications may void the processor warranty. Examples: Overclocking and enabling Intel® XMP, which is a type of memory overclocking, and using it beyond the given specifications may void the processor warranty.

On the AMD site
FOOTNOTES
  1. Overclocking and/or undervolting AMD processors and memory, including without limitation, altering clock frequencies / multipliers or memory timing / voltage, to operate outside of AMD’s published specifications will void any applicable AMD product warranty, even when enabled via AMD hardware and/or software. This may also void warranties offered by the system manufacturer or retailer. Users assume all risks and liabilities that may arise out of overclocking and/or undervolting AMD processors, including, without limitation, failure of or damage to hardware, reduced system performance and/or data loss, corruption or vulnerability. GD-106

Apr 26, 2023
Being that those footnotes were hidden by that arrow and not directly in the users face I think AMD would have a tough time trying to defend that one in court, especially since they were advertising EXPO profiles as being a selling point of the CPU. They'd fall flat on their face with the "it was hidden away in a dark corner of our website defense"

I am personally very angry about the fact that now to use the memory I brought at it's rated speed which was pushed by AMD I invalidate my warranty. I think AMD needs a combined clout from it's user base.

TRENDING THREADS