[SOLVED] Detached RAM and attach it back but now monitor won't display anything

Jun 10, 2021
Background: I'm planning to upgrade my RAM but I'm new to upgrading RAM on my own, so before purchasing and installing a new one, I went to find out how the motherboard looks and detached one of the ram and put it back on, I just want to have some idea on how to detach and attach them but now my monitor won't display anything.

Problem: When I pressed the start button, the led on the DRAM and the VGA lights up for a couple seconds but then they went off. My monitor won't display anything and when I tried to attach my keyboard to the back USB port, the keyboard light won't turn on, so there must be some problem in that too.

note that the only thing I did was detaching one of the ram and attach them back, that is all. Everything was properly working before.

When I re-attached the RAM, I have heard the 'click' sound and they seem to have seated properly like it was before. I am not sure what the problem is and don't know what to do now.

Specification:
  • motherboard: MSI H310M PRO-VH PLUS
  • RAM: DDR4 Silicon Power 2x4GB

UPDATE:
when I pressed start, the DRAM led first lights up for a couple seconds, then it went off, then the VGA lights up for a couple seconds, then went off, then the DRAM lights again, then it went off, then the VGA went on again and went off, then the boot led lights up very fast until it went off and all went off for a while, while the fan continue to work properly and the MOBO light is on

Last edited:
Solution
After the click I proceed to forced it to the maximum. By the way, do u know why is the monitor still showing black screen even when I tried to boot using only one ram?
So you probably damaged the motherboard then if it flexed. You can't use that much force. I typically won't even press a module in completely just to make the clip snap and will push the module and the clip until they're in their proper position, but won't force them at all.
Jun 10, 2021
Did you power off the system completely and unplug the power cord before you messed with the ram? Because if you didn't, you probably killed the memory module and should try booting without it.

yes I did unplug the power cord when messing around, that's why this is so strange. I have also tried booting with only one ram slot and it still doesn't work, the fan and mobo light is on but monitor screen is still black.

Jun 10, 2021
Did you power off the system completely and unplug the power cord before you messed with the ram? Because if you didn't, you probably killed the memory module and should try booting without it.
All I did was detaching that one ram module and attach it back. that's literally it but now my monitor is displaying a black screen no matter what I did. is it possible that this happens because I perhaps unintendedly broke some parts? or maybe some of the components were catching dust? because when I opened the CPU case, the bottom part was covered with dust and that might affect some area, but note that I did not touched any other parts except for that one ram slot and was very careful when attaching it back.

Jun 10, 2021
How much force did you use to push the module back in? Did you feel the motherboard flex?

After the click I proceed to forced it to the maximum. By the way, do u know why is the monitor still showing black screen even when I tried to boot using only one ram?

All I did was detaching that one ram module and attach it back. that's literally it but now my monitor is displaying a black screen no matter what I did. is it possible that this happens because I perhaps unintendedly broke some parts? or maybe some of the components were catching dust? because when I opened the CPU case, the bottom part was covered with dust and that might affect some area, but note that I did not touched any other parts except for that one ram slot and was very careful when attaching it back.
Maybe if there was a lot of dust in the machine when you pulled the ram out dust fell down into the slot and now the stick is not making a good connection.
Get a can of compressed air, remove the ram sticks and blow out the slots.
Look close at the slots to see if any of the pins have been damaged.

So you probably damaged the motherboard then if it flexed. You can't use that much force. I typically won't even press a module in completely just to make the clip snap and will push the module and the clip until they're in their proper position, but won't force them at all.

Solution