[SOLVED] Detailed Help and Suggestions with Upgrading

zoloftphreak

Commendable
Jan 30, 2018
Background: I purchased an OEM PC from Dell back in 2009. I have been studying and upgrading parts since then and my computer has some newer parts in it. As I have been continually putting money into it over the years I have not saved aside money to build a replacement PC, that's not to say I don't have money or need "budget" solutions but if it's possible I would like to keep the cost low. I have been gaming on it since the beginning but for quite a while now I've had increasingly difficult times trying to tweak game settings in order to just load into games, I have major FPS issues and gameplay is not smooth or seamless anymore. It has it's moments but it's gotten kinda choppy... I've come to the conclusion that I need to finally replace two pieces left of the original computer- MOBO and CPU!

This is everything connected and put together.
For the RAM and disk drives I chose items with the same specs but that's not exactly what's installed. I also have two USB ports on the front (total of 5 i think).

I'm looking for some advice on what motherboards and CPUs I should look to buy, or if I should quit gaming for a while until I can get a fresh build done cuz it's pretty maddening trying to game right now when it shouldn't be. I realize there's so many different ways to do things when it comes to computers, I will be researching any input but I truly appreciate any/all recommendations.

Thank you, forum!

Solution
Something like this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i5-9600K 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor ($259.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($21.50 @ B&H)
Motherboard: ASRock - Z390 Pro4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill - Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $466.47
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-02-08 17:04 EST-0500

zoloftphreak

Commendable
Jan 30, 2018

Ah, DDR3 isn't going to cut it anymore? That's a bummer! I don't have issues opening programs and Windows starts up within a normal timeframe, the problem I'm having is during gameplay every 30 seconds or so I'll get a hiccup/freeze for a second (sometimes roughly 3-4 seconds) Let's say I'll put 500$ towards enhancement.

The original Dell I got was a Studio XPS 8000, motherboard being an 0X231R and an Intel i5 750 2.67ghz CPU that I didn't think to list with the components I already have as I want to switch those out since they are the last remaining pieces from the original PC. I initially linked the parts, but I didn't include case fans or the CPU cooler either cuz I didn't bother with opening up the case.

Something like this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i5-9600K 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor ($259.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($21.50 @ B&H)
Motherboard: ASRock - Z390 Pro4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill - Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $466.47
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-02-08 17:04 EST-0500

Solution
You can look at new stuff at that budget. But since you're comfortable with old Dells I'm going to throw another option out there.
The Dell Precision T3500 workstation. X58 chipset 3 channel DDR3 RAM ( 3 channel will keep up). Dual GPU capability and unlocked Xeons that can be overclocked. Barebones systems $75.
https://www.userbenchmark.com/System/Dell-Precision-WorkStation-T3500--/2522
The CPU rankings in the high 70% and 80% range are overclocks.
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11469193
https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/dell-workstation-owners-club.243124/#post-3830958
https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/throttlestop-overclocking-desktop-pcs.235975/
If you have a decent GPU and PSU they can be moved to the T3500.

zoloftphreak

Commendable
Jan 30, 2018
I got a note from PCPP saying the cooler may be incompatible with the case due to dimensions, I looked up the sizes but I'm not exactly sure if it's going to fit. I opened up the case and looked at the space available but it's hard for me to eyeball it especially as I'm not sure how the board will sit and it's hard for me to visualize. I got the case mostly because of the price and for its size. Is there some insight you could give to me on this? If not that's ok but I wouldn't want to get all this together just for the cooler to not fit and have to return it and put everything in/out twice more.
Thank you, SkyNetRising.

zoloftphreak

Commendable
Jan 30, 2018
I've ordered your suggested parts SkyNetRising, I will update with an appropriate Answered response. After skimming over the specs, and giving a little leeway I went with the more expensive Aorus Elite and appreciate your suggestions, thank you.

william p I do also want to thank you for your input and time taken with responding. I did not wish to purchase another Dell, and opted for the more customizable option over premade with swap-outs as I already have most of the computer parts that are in working condition and suit my needs well enough. I was unable to find the workstation you mentioned for less than $250 within my acceptable limitations and felt that was more of a lateral move than an upgrade. Again, thank you for your time.

TRENDING THREADS