Details of Intel's Next Round of SSDs Leak Out

Status
Not open for further replies.

wcooper007

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
Yeah i got two of the 120 gig sata 6 intel ssd's in a raid 0 array and i love them i couldnt ask for faster proformance without going to a retarded pcie ssd

vk_87

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
[citation][nom]mobrocket[/nom]SSDs are cool[/citation]

Yeah, when they cost an arm and a leg, they ought to be!

rosen380

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
"Prices on SSD's have not come down in the past 6 months like they should have."

Says who? Tech prices generally come down over time, but that can be counteracted when demand is increasing much faster than production levels, which is probably the case right now.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]wcooper007[/nom]Yeah i got two of the 120 gig sata 6 intel ssd's in a raid 0 array and i love them i couldnt ask for faster proformance without going to a retarded pcie ssd[/citation]
Buy a new keyboard. Your Shift and '.' keys are broken.

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
120GB high performance SSD's are in the 150-200$ range
Intel and Crucial SSD's in that size range are typically closer to $250. I have seen an occasional sale on other brand SSD's that will dip below $200 after rebate, but if you check the ratings on these products they are usually pretty poor. An example- I go to newegg.com and look at the 120GB range. Picking a name brand even, such as the OCZ that newegg says is "voted best of the best". Newegg has 322 reviews, and 31% of the reviews are for 1 or 2 eggs only. A full 1/3 of the buyers didn't like the product. Corsair and G.Skill are marginally better. You have to get to the Crucial or Intel products starting at $245 before the user ratings start to look much better.

Says who? Tech prices generally come down over time, but that can be counteracted when demand is increasing much faster than production levels

Yes apparently the demand is keeping the prices up, which is what I said earlier when I said that prices were not coming down. I know that generally prices do come down and they have been steadily coming down on mechanical hard drives, but SSD's have been much slower.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
I wish they'd quit making these small useless SSDs and start beefing up the capacity to at least 1 TB. Yes, they'd be very costly but that will eventually change.

jprahman

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
Yeah, good luck paying >$1000 for your 1TB SSD. There's a good reason why SSDs are currently available in mainly these "useless" small sizes, cost. Personally I think a lot of people overestimate the amount of hard drive space they need. I see plenty of people getting computers with 640GB+ hard drives and only using about 100-200GB worth of space. If you think about it, unless you store lots of movies, pictures, or music 128-256GB is more than enough space for all of your programs and the OS. If you do have loads of data files then just put them on a cheap data HDD.

EDIT: Spelling

rosen380

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
Even if you do have 100s of GB of movies and music, a secondard traditional HDD handles them quite well, so it probably doesn't make a whole lot of sense to throw $1.50/GB at a problem with a $0.10/GB solution [unless you are well-off enough that you don't care about money at all and just want that movie to start within 1 sec of when you click on it rather than like 3 sec]... :)

bloodlust22

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2008
[citation][nom]mobrocket[/nom]SSDs are cool[/citation]

Really? What's so cool about them? If overpriced for what there worth is cool, then yes they are VERY cool. I'd take a 7200rpm large capacity RAID setup anyday over these.

noblerabbit

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2010
[citation][nom]rosen380[/nom]"Prices on SSD's have not come down in the past 6 months like they should have." Says who? Tech prices generally come down over time, but that can be counteracted when demand is increasing much faster than production levels, which is probably the case right now.[/citation]

SSDs will remain high/over $1 / GB for the next two years at the very least. Also prices have actually recently increased, and not decreased. If you want deals, shop for Vertex2 drives, as they are now discontinued. Vertex 3 is around the corner. you can find 120GB vertex2 for apprix $1/GB . Otherwise lower SSD Prices will destroy the mechanical HDD market.

Burodsx

Distinguished
May 31, 2009
SSDs are so much faster than HDDs... and there are plenty of options under $160. Running an 80 GB SSD with an External HDD for my unimportant files.

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
Even if you do have 100s of GB of movies and music, a secondard traditional HDD handles them quite well, so it probably doesn't make a whole lot of sense to throw $1.50/GB at a problem with a $0.10/GB solution

The machines in my house that are candidates for SSD's are all laptops, they don't have room for two drives. They will have to get a single SSD with a capacity that is a compromise between price and what is stored on the drives now.
We built machines for our office using 64GB SSD's, well when you format them they come out less than 60GB. OS and program installs take over 40GB, then you add the swap file, and we needed to install virtual XP so you need room for that swap file, and now the 64GB drive is full, and you are supposed to leave some spare room on the drive for its own housekeeping.

SSDs haven't decreased in price? Maybe not the item price, but the price-capacity has.

They have decreased in price but very slowly. I decided that my laptops needed 120GB drives, and I would buy one when the prices dropped below $200. I did a lot of research on newegg this morning and the cheapest 120GB with decent reviews was the Crucial at $250. When I started looking at them 12 months ago this size drive was under $300. That isn't much price drop in 12 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.