Details on the Intel 710 "Lyndonville" Enterprise SSD

Status
Not open for further replies.

sseyler

Distinguished
May 14, 2008
So, I'm assuming HET-MLC is slower than desktop-class MLC due to write durability requirements of the server market, hence the utilization of the SATA II interface?

snotling

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2002
[citation][nom]beenthere[/nom]Well we'll see how this MLC approach works for reliability and compatibility. I suspect Intel is trying to sell ocean front property in AZ.[/citation]
Won't people ever get it MLC IS the way to go... (sigh)

snotling

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2002
[citation][nom]sseyler[/nom]So, I'm assuming HET-MLC is slower than desktop-class MLC due to write durability requirements of the server market, hence the utilization of the SATA II interface?[/citation]
I wouldn't assume that much, overprovisionning makes it faster, whatever other enterprise otpimization would have slowed down is marginal compared to that.

stuckintexas

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
[citation][nom]snotling[/nom]Won't people ever get it MLC IS the way to go... (sigh)[/citation]

Unless write endurance is your thing, then MLC will only ever get there with massive overprovisioning.

stuckintexas

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
For write endurance, the X25-E is still the winner. The 710 only achieves 20% of the X25-E. The X25-E is 2000TB @64GB, while the 710 is 600TB @100GB. The HET-MLC gets ~30-35K write cycles, while I have seen the SLC drive hit ~150K write cycles. Too bad Intel killed the X25-E for those of us that need it.

snotling

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2002
[citation][nom]stuckintexas[/nom]For write endurance, the X25-E is still the winner. The 710 only achieves 20% of the X25-E. The X25-E is 2000TB @64GB, while the 710 is 600TB @100GB. The HET-MLC gets ~30-35K write cycles, while I have seen the SLC drive hit ~150K write cycles. Too bad Intel killed the X25-E for those of us that need it.[/citation]
The thing is, verry few of us need the kind of endurance advantage that SLC has over MLC VS capacity.

Theoretically, you could over-provision beyond the capacity of the drive if that's what you need.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
Reliability, Intel Please.

OCZ / Sandforce is still fastest, but research seems to point a much higher failure rate in those drives. I've worked with a single OCZ drive (Vertex 2) and was NOT impress with the drive or the support from OCZ. I checked out the tech sites and many many OCZ owners are having problems with their drives. Slow performance, DOA, etc etc... I'll stick with intel (who are not perfect) who knows that speed means nothing if your getting a lot of returns.

Seriously, check out the tool set Intel has vs OCZ. Hint: OCZ doesn't have one, other than a firmware updater.

dracocephalum

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2011
Enterprise SSDs are for RAID - Okay, not always, but almost always.
So here is the real fact, when running in RAID, MLC and SLC will have the same baseline. Don't ever try to play with TRIM, it is not available (at least on my "old" Perc H700)...
Question: will you trust an MLC RAID array or an SLC RAID array?
All I know (and heard about) is, after 6 months, the MLC array has just degraded to an extent that you will never want to know. TRIM? Sorry, no TRIM here. But the Intel X25-E SSDs will still behave consistently at about 80% of their original performance.
Now, come back to the price point:
New Intel 710 (100GB) @ $650
New Intel X25-E (32GB) @ $226 (The average price for me to have 6)
I have 6 "NEW" (Sealed) X25-E 32GB at the above average price. Will I still even need to think about the 710?
Compare 6x Intel X25-E 32GB running RAID 0 to 2x Intel 710 running RAID 0, what I get is a bit more in total costs, a bit less in total space, 3x ports required, 3x more power needed (maybe), more than 3x Speed I will get, and 10x the durability.
Well, of course, 3x the risks of disk failure, but who cares for RAID 0 (my sys drive)? I do regular backup each day, and important data are stored in other RAID5/6 arrays...
So X25-E is REALLY important to me, but it is gone...
So, Intel, please, we are customers, consumers, end users, not idiots...

Status
Not open for further replies.