Detect my 250gb hard drive on xp

casa

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2009
How can i get win xp to see my full 250gb hard drive instead of seeing it as 137gb

please help anyone who can

Solution
Click on Start in lower left and then RIGHT-click on My Computer in the menu. A mini-menu pops up, choose Manage. This will open the Computer Management window. In it on the left click to expand Storage if necessary, then click on Disk Management.

Now look in the right-hand part of this window. It has two parts, and both will scroll to show you all of their contents. In the UPPER right pane is a list of all the disks Windows can use right now. In the LOWER RIGHT pane is the list of devices connected, each represented as a horizontal block subdivided into other blocks. The one representing your 250 GB HDD unit will have a small box on its left end with a name like "DISK_1", a size of about 230 GB, and a few other details. Next to it...

casa

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2009
The system is a gateway 2005 model laptop. i upgraded the hard disk from 60G to 250G but when i run the Bios setup, it recorgnises the full 250GB harddrive but when i installed win xp professional, it could only see 137GB hard drive.

All i have on the harddrive now is jist win xp nd ms office.

it has only one partition and i cannot see the remaining portion of the 250gb hdd.

casa

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2009
I am using win SP 3 service park and it didnt make any difference, i was wondering if ishould even downgrade to sp2 or 1 as i have not tried them yet

casa

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2009
The drive is formated as NTFS and I have even downloaded this EASEUS partition software to check if it could see the remaining portion of the drive but it could not see it either.

I also downloaded and installed win sp3 but nothing happened.

Thanks for your interest to help me out. I hope i am able to answer your questions well.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
The sequence of operations is important. Win XP in original form could not use a disk over 128 GB (Windows' measure). SP1 and up gave it that capability. BUT it appears your HDD was first Partitioned and Formatted using the original XP Pro, and at that time it could only make a Partition with that smaller limit. The rest of your HDD is still "Unallocated Space" that could be used to create a second Partition and format it now, because you have upgraded XP to SP3. By the way, there is no reason at all to go backwards to SP2.

You have two possible routes to follow to use all of your drive. First you should actually update your XP to SP3. Then you choose. One option is to leave what you have in place - the drive already has on it one Partition that is known by a letter name, like maybe E:. It also has more empty space not in use. Using either Easeus or Windows' own Disk Manager you can Create a second Primary Partition from the Unallocated Space, then format it using the NTFS File System. It will become a new drive with its own letter name.

The other option, if you want to have ALL of that drive in ONE Partition (with one drive letter name, and a size of about 232 GB) is to completely destroy everything on the disk now and re-do the Partitioning operations from the start. If you choose this you MUST back up anything you want on the disk because you will lose it all! Once you have that backup, you use Easeus or Disk Manager to Delete all Partitions on the disk so that it is ALL just empty Unallocated Space. Then you Create a new Primary Partition on it that uses up ALL of the drive's space and is NOT bootable (assuming you're only going to use it for data storage), then you format this Partition using the NTFS File System. When done you reboot and you should have your new large drive available to use in My Computer.

casa

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2009
my laptop is currently running on MS Win XP Professional ver 2002 and Service Pack 3.
I dont know what exactly is the problem with the system. when i went to the Disk Manager under my Computer tab, i couldnt even see the tab that could show me the disk drive partitions.

Could it be that my SP3 is not running properly or my window is corrupt?

I would love to have the remaining unallocated space to be a separate partition if i can get windows to see it.

Do you think i need to reinstall the service pack 3?

I used the EASEUS partition software to view the drive and it only see 138gb instead of 250GB too.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Click on Start in lower left and then RIGHT-click on My Computer in the menu. A mini-menu pops up, choose Manage. This will open the Computer Management window. In it on the left click to expand Storage if necessary, then click on Disk Management.

Now look in the right-hand part of this window. It has two parts, and both will scroll to show you all of their contents. In the UPPER right pane is a list of all the disks Windows can use right now. In the LOWER RIGHT pane is the list of devices connected, each represented as a horizontal block subdivided into other blocks. The one representing your 250 GB HDD unit will have a small box on its left end with a name like "DISK_1", a size of about 230 GB, and a few other details. Next to it will be a box representing the Partition you already have operating, and it will show you the size of about 128 GB and the letter name of that drive, like E: maybe. To the right of that will be another space marked simply "Unallocated Space".

To use Disk Management to create another "Disk" or Partition here, you RIGHT-CLICK on the Unallocated Space and choose to Create a Partition. I think a wizard may pop up to help you do BOTH the Partition and Format operations together, but maybe not. Anyway, I suggest you want to create a Primary Partition, set it to use up all of the available space, and not make it bootable. When it comes to options for Formatting, choose to use the NTFS File System, and I suggest you ask it to do only the Quick Format, which will take about 10 to 15 minutes. (A Full Format takes MANY hours because it does thorough testing of all of the disk, and you can choose that if you wish.) IF your system does only the Partition operation and does not include Formatting in one operation, then you can RIGHT-CLICK again on the new Partition you created and choose to Format it as a separate step. When both are done, Disk Management should show you a new drive with its own letter name assigned to that space. From here you should exit from Disk Management and reboot the computer to make the changes permanent. You should find a new drive in My Computer ready to use.

All of this assumes you want to leave the existing Partition in place and simple create another one to be able to use the remaining space as a new drive.

Solution

casa

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2009
Thank you very very much! it worked. I followed your instruction step and was able to see the unallocated partition as 104GB now. I hope it remains and does disappear again or change back to 104mb, that has been my initial observations before now.

I now used it as extended logical drive and currently formatting it as NTFS drive.

Thanks once again. I am hoping it would all work out perfectly well at the end of the formatting.