detecting program??

Tim

I just received a PC that belonged to my father, I want to upgrade but I
need to know what kind of mother board and memory it has inside. I know
there is a program available for download that will detect all that but cant
remember the name. If someone can help me out I would be very thankful.
And yes I have tried a goggle search but all the programs I have been
getting do not tell me the speed of the motherboard or detailed info.

Thanks in advance.

"Tim" <timkimberley@cogeco.ca> wrote in message
> I just received a PC that belonged to my father, I want to upgrade but I
> need to know what kind of mother board and memory it has inside. I know
> there is a program available for download that will detect all that but
cant
> remember the name. If someone can help me out I would be very thankful.
> And yes I have tried a goggle search but all the programs I have been
> getting do not tell me the speed of the motherboard or detailed info.
>
> Thanks in advance.

Wouldn't it be easier to open the case and get the model number off the
motherboard? You'll have to open the case to upgrade anyway. -Dave

Tim

The pc's a throw together, Made up of spare parts. So I would guess the
model would be useless.

"Dave C." <mdupre@sff.net> wrote in message

> "Tim" <timkimberley@cogeco.ca> wrote in message
> > I just received a PC that belonged to my father, I want to upgrade but
> > need to know what kind of mother board and memory it has inside. I know
> > there is a program available for download that will detect all that but
> cant
> > remember the name. If someone can help me out I would be very thankful.
> > And yes I have tried a goggle search but all the programs I have been
> > getting do not tell me the speed of the motherboard or detailed info.
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> >

> Wouldn't it be easier to open the case and get the model number off the
> motherboard? You'll have to open the case to upgrade anyway. -Dave

Yes, open the case and look inside.

Next get Belarc Advisor from Belarc.com. This is free for
non-commercial personal use and tells what software is hiding on the HD.

Tim wrote:
> I just received a PC that belonged to my father, I want to upgrade but I
> need to know what kind of mother board and memory it has inside. I know
> there is a program available for download that will detect all that but cant
> remember the name. If someone can help me out I would be very thankful.
> And yes I have tried a goggle search but all the programs I have been
> getting do not tell me the speed of the motherboard or detailed info.
>
> Thanks in advance.

> "Tim" <timkimberley@cogeco.ca> wrote in message
>
> I just received a PC that belonged to my father, I want to upgrade but I
> need to know what kind of mother board and memory it has inside. I know
> there is a program available for download that will detect all that but cant
> remember the name. If someone can help me out I would be very thankful.
> And yes I have tried a goggle search but all the programs I have been
> getting do not tell me the speed of the motherboard or detailed info.
>
> Thanks in advance.

Everest Home Edition, free from:
http://www.lavalys.com/index.php?page=product&view=1

--
AZC

http://www.sisoftware.net/

In article <qSgBc.11214$_V4.9245@read1.cgocable.net>, Tim says...
> I just received a PC that belonged to my father, I want to upgrade but I
> need to know what kind of mother board and memory it has inside. I know
> there is a program available for download that will detect all that but cant
> remember the name. If someone can help me out I would be very thankful.
> And yes I have tried a goggle search but all the programs I have been
> getting do not tell me the speed of the motherboard or detailed info.

Aida32 or Belarc Advisor.

--
Conor

Dumb as a box of rocks...

> The pc's a throw together, Made up of spare parts. So I would guess the
> model would be useless.

Each component has its own model number and brand. The most crucial in your
case is the one on the motherboard.

hamman

Tim wrote:

> The pc's a throw together, Made up of spare parts. So I would guess the
> model would be useless.

Not the one on the motherboard. It would be the one for the motherboard,
which is what you were looking for.

You can also find out from the BIOS ID string during post. See
http://www.motherboards.org/articlesd/tech-planations/13_1.html

Programs that identify things can be convenient but they don't always get
it right.