Determine speaker resistance?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I opened up my speaker cab to find out what resistance my speakers were, the stamp was: 4 ohm 8. What does this mean?, Is it 4 or is it 8?

G

Thanks, for the reply SIRKILLALOT, this is one speaker cabinet for a stereo system, two channels, each channel has one large woofer speaker (possibly 8 inch, i will measure at home, no other brand markings) and one small tweeter hooked up in parallel. Maybe 8 refers to the small tweeter, which has no markings? Maybe the 8 might refer to the diameter of the woofer. It is one of those probably cheap speakers that have the two circular neon-like light tubes around the speakers that get powered by 12 V DC. Is there any way I could find out the wattage of the speakers? The seller said it was 300 watt rms, but I think he was smoking a crack pipe when I handed him the $20 for it.

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
It culd be 4 ohms to 8 ohms nominal impedance but I could be wrong.

The onlyway to tell is by using VOM set to ohm metter, 4 ohms usually 3.5 to 4.4 ohms for 4 ohms.

Is there any way I could find out the wattage of the speakers?

Here's Marty's answer.

You would need either certain Thiele-Small parameter ratings on the speaker, or you would need to know the voice coil specifications. if it has at least an 1 and a 1/2-inch voice coil, I would say it is good for a minimum of 100 watts.

Being that it is a P.A. speaker, it the upper cone surround made of a doped fabric. This usually denotes higher power handling.

Does the back plate of the magnet have a hole in it? If so, then it is a higr powered model.

If it has a two-inch voice coil, then I would say 150 watts.

Marty

Status
Not open for further replies.