Determing what memory will really work

river251

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2011
I needed to determine what memory configuration will work in my Dell Optiplex 780. On Dell's specs it says 8 gigs max, and 1066 speed (DDR3).

But several websites say the 780 max memory is 16 gigs, and using 1333 speed. I know Dell can understate, because they say my Dimension 9200 only takes 4 gigs but I run 8 gigs in it fine.

HOw can I determine if 16 gigs will work and if 1333 will be faster, before ordering?

Thanks for any sage advice...

Jim

wintermint

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
First off, you can google your model and search for info from the manufacturer's site. I did it for you. http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/optiplex-780/pd

Mini Tower/Desktop/Small Form Factor has 4 DIMM slots while Ultra Small Form Factor only has 2 DIMM slots.

You need 64 bit to run more than 4gb RAM which I assume you already have. Depending on which version you have, you can fit 2x4gb to 4x4gb ram. It depends on how much you're willing to spend, and I'm sure I saw some sticks that hold 8gb each before too If I'm not mistaken BUT they're really costly.

river251

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2011
Windermint, not sure why you are giving me that url. I made clear that I already found out what Dell says, and what several memory webites say, and it doesn't agree, so that's why I came here. So you give me the URL for a website that says nothing about the memory limit, so, what am I supposed to read on that site?

Emerald, thanks, same thing Crucial says. But it disagrees with Dell's specs as I've noted. I am looking for help knowing which is right and how they disagree. Any help?

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
Call Dell, you may think 4GB because that's what it came w/ - doesn't mean it's the max, when you look at specs from Dell that's normally the spec when it was released, which may have been a max of 8GB, they may have since released a BIOS update that allows for using 4GB sticks in which case it's 16....Off hand I myself don't know for sure, when I try and help here, I go by specs, but most of us here don't really have the time to make calls for you

Legohouse

Honorable
May 13, 2013
Hello,:hihi:

Yes, Dell Optiplex 780 (Desktop, SFF, Mini-Tower) supports a max memory of 16GB. It has 4 slots and max per slot is 4GB. And Dell Optiplex 780 (U-SFF) supports a max memory of 8GB. It has 2 slots and max per slot is 4GB. Dell also confirms that it supports 16GB/8GB for your system. You can refer the Dell's Technical Guidebook(<-- Click here!!) to confirm the same.

Usually, whenever a model is launched they tend to release the spec according to the technology available at that time and most often they do not update their specification after that. Sometimes after the release they may add additional feature to your system which can be utilized if your system has the latest BIOS firmware. The memory retailers (some) and manufacturers work closely with Dell and that's the reason they get the information which is normally not available to the user.

You can try crucial or Memorystock for compatible memory. I assume you already have crucial so i'm just mentioning one link - http://www.memorystock.com/memory/DellOptiPlex780.html

Good luck with the upgrade. Cheers, mate!! :sol:

qw12345

Reputable
Jul 22, 2014

On Crucial's site, I searched for Dell Optiplex 780 Upgrades...
This is what I found. http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/optiplex-780-small-form-factor/CT2367692
I Upgraded my 780 with this RAM. It worked. Order two kits, and then by Windows 10 64-bit, or install a 64 bit OS.
Remember to make backups! :)