Determining whether 1080p desktop resolution can display 4K in window

Fetherlyt

Commendable
Apr 9, 2016
I want to know if it's possible to view 4K content in Windows even if the desktop is set to 1080p. I currently have it set to 4K, however some programs don't scale with resolution, so they are unbearably small...

On an off chance alternative, is there a way to adjust a universal setting to reverse that?

Solution
If your desktop resolution is set to 1080, you will not be using 4k resolution, if I understand what you are asking. Any video will be scaled down to 1080 if you are watching 4k video.

jimmyEatWord

Respectable
Mar 10, 2016
it depends , i have an old r9 270x gpu , and in the AMD crimson settings , i can enable super resolution and gpu scaling too , with those two , i can have 2K on my LG tv which i use as a monitor , i'm sure newer better AMD cards can enable you to have a virtual 4K aswell without buying an actual 4K monitor

Fetherlyt

Commendable
Apr 9, 2016
Well it's not that I don't have a 4K monitor. I do. That's why I had it set that way. I just don't want to give up the awesome resolution in order to see what the heck my apps are saying

Fetherlyt

Commendable
Apr 9, 2016
Well that's what I was wondering. I was wondering whether YouTube or Netflix could truly output 4K even with Windows set as 1080p. I thought I'd have to set Windows to 4K as well in order to get any window to display 4K. Obviously full screen games are different, but wasn't sure if full screen video players do the same thing