Deus Ex Movie to be Helmed by 'Sinister' Director

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 217926

Agreed. I love these games. Hopefully they will do a decent movie.

Gundam288

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
Square Enix showed off its ability to land A-list talent too by announcing that it had landed director Scott Derrickson, whose portfolio includes Sinister, The Exorcism of Emily Rose, and The Day the Earth Stood Still.

They really weren't big hits honestly and his remake of "The Day the Earth Stood Still" was kinda a let down when it came out.

I have doubts about how well this movie will do.

G

Deus Ex: GOTY and Deus Ex: HR both were flawless. Movie is going to be a disaster, I can already see it.

Orlean

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2011
I enjoyed Deus Ex it was a really good game. I thought the movie Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within was pretty good movie so as far as it being a failure I don't agree there are plenty of other movies that were far worse.

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]abbadon_34[/nom]I'm cautiously optomistic. Deux Ex lends its quite well to a movie, as long as the don't chop it down to some PG-13 social message.[/citation]
Exactly! I always said Deus Ex HR needs to be a movie, but I'm afraid that they'll butcher it. It needs to stay as dark and gritty as possible.

Also, think Elias Toufexis himself could pull off the acting role for Adam Jensen? He did the voice damn good.

dark_knight33

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
I liked Prince of Persia, Doom, I liked FF movie as well. Not all movies translate well into games, but I think it's far easier to translate games into movies. Just look at the popularity of the 'Let's play' series on youtube. That's nothing more than recorded gameplay and people still love to watch them.

Of course, movies won't always be completely faithful adaptations, but do they really have to be 100% accurate to make the movie fun to watch? Doom is a good example of this.

As long as Uwe Boll or however the hell his name is spelled, is barred from set, it has a really good chance of being at least decent.

P.S. Damn, some day I need to actually finish Deus Ex... I bought most of the DLC too lol

Untill the director of a game movie is a gamer himself and played a game a good couple of times, we most likely will get bad movies anyways.

How can a Director Grasp the sould of a game in a movie if he didnt even play it? He will have his own view of it then.

Video game movies keep getting better. I kind of group them together with comic book / childhood cartoon types. I think they've finally realized that the movie shouldn't really try to follow the same story from the game.

The best ones use the heroes, bad guys, and really shoot for a unique story within the same universe, and try to avoid breaking any of the original lore. A good example is Bioware's Knights of the Old Republic 2 game series using the universe and choosing a past long before the movie(s) story-line. I think that's the successful formula for a great movie.

Darkerson

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
The problem with Video Game adaptations is that Hollywood always thinks they know better, really only wants to use the name of a game to get people interested and willing to show up, and then gut everything that made whatever it is popular, and come up with some bastardized version for the big screen, because you know what, Hollywood knows better than the fans! So I will have no expectations of anything good coming from Hollywood when it comes to game adaptations. But it would be nice for once to get something that doesnt treat the original source material like toilet paper.

kellybean

Honorable
Nov 11, 2012
Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within was a good movie with great computer animation. Best advice for Square Enix is to snub Hollywood. They will ruin a good script faster than you can say Politically Correct.

kellybean

Honorable
Nov 11, 2012
[citation][nom]sa1nt[/nom]Anybody remember hitman movie ? biggest letdown i can remember[/citation]
I thought that was a good movie and had a nice ending. The Doom movie on the other hand...

rebel1280

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
The story of Deus EX is pretty complex, i would rather HBO or even FOX (maybe SciFy- calling you out here, could be your -back to the greatness you once were- chance) make it into a series. This way you get character development and deeper background story explanations.

tburns1

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
[citation][nom]rebel1280[/nom]The story of Deus EX is pretty complex, i would rather HBO or even FOX (maybe SciFy- calling you out here, could be your -back to the greatness you once were- chance) make it into a series. This way you get character development and deeper background story explanations.[/citation]

+1 Excellent idea. Particularly HBO. They can really deliver good content.

BTW - Anyone else like the Mortal Kombat movie? My wife and I loved it.

djscribbles

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
Then again, let's not forget that Paul W.S. Anderson, the director behind the Resident Evil films, was apparently quite passionate about the original series as well.

Hey, I thought the first couple RE movies captured the feel of the game fairly well.

The real problem with game based movies is that a standard video game setting (such as RE, where you get trapped in a mansion and everyone decides to split up, giving you the ability to roam the joint while everyone else just stands there) is entirely laughable when you put it on the big screen. Then, repetition with gradual escalation make the backbone of gameplay, where it is simply just boring in a movie.

Video games are an experience, and it's difficult to capture that same experience in a movie; and in trying, they tend to bastardize the whole thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.