News Dev boots a PC from Google Drive storage in the cloud — a storage-less laptop becomes a truly cloud-native computer

Apr 8, 2024
There's a reason why we have internal storage drives; primarily for reduced access latency. Placing the block storage device across the internet not only makes it slow to operate (obviously), but it will also do one of two things: create congestion for people outside your household by doing so; or significantly throttle your own internet to only provide bandwidth for communicating with said remote block storage device.
This is a great Proof of Concept; terrible idea, in my opinion. (Re: I'm a 10 year Systems & Network Admin)
This is also why SAN's are utilized - a dedicated, isolated network with its own bandwidth pool strictly for block storage communications ;)

Reactions: jeremyj_83
It has one huge interest : sleepless devices. As it is a RAM disk image, you load it once; it runs from RAM until you completely power off the device. Every time you boot up from scratch, you get an up to date system.
It IS a compelling idea on paper; if you make the base OS very small (and that's possible), booting may not take too long; you get a brand new, completely up to date core OS (streamlined kernel + limited user space + basic GUI + browser could fit under 200 Mb) and do the rest of your activities in the cloud...
Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised to see ChromeBooks using that system in the coming years.
The cost ? Bigger UEFI images.

There's a reason why we have internal storage drives; primarily for reduced access latency. Placing the block storage device across the internet not only makes it slow to operate (obviously), but it will also do one of two things: create congestion for people outside your household by doing so; or significantly throttle your own internet to only provide bandwidth for communicating with said remote block storage device.
This is a great Proof of Concept; terrible idea, in my opinion. (Re: I'm a 10 year Systems & Network Admin)
This is also why SAN's are utilized - a dedicated, isolated network with its own bandwidth pool strictly for block storage communications ;)
Since this was booted from Google Drive, I bet it was object storage instead of block.

TRENDING THREADS