News Dev reports Intel's laptop CPUs are also suffering from crashing issues — several laptops have suffered similar failures in testing

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
If this turns out to be a process issue then Intel has a huge problem.
The article seems to indicate the problem is found in laptops based on the same silicon dies they use in desktop Raptor Lake. So, I guess this doesn't really indicate one way or another.

My initial thought was they were talking about Meteor Lake and the Intel 4 node, but it seems not. Unfortunately, the strongest Meteor Lake has only 6 P-cores, so there's not currently a substitute for Raptor Lake in the high-end laptop segment (and won't be, until Arrow Lake gets there later this year or early next).

vanadiel007

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2015
I am thinking, and this is just me, that they pushed the design to hard and it now has become randomly unstable.

It reminds me of the great days of overclocking, when a Prime95 torture test would run for 23 hours straight without any issues, and then all of a sudden stop with an error. Dialing it down just a notch, or increasing the voltage slightly, or a combination of both would make it go without crashes even after 48 hours.
Then rinse and repeat until you ran out of options, use your last stable overclock, and that was it.

At the end of the day Intel being quiet is to blame for the continued random reports and finger pointing. There's basically a zero percent chance they don't know what the issue is at this point. My only question comes down to is the problem so bad they don't want to disclose due to how much money it would cost, or is it just their marketing/execs thinking being quiet is better than early disclosure.

Reactions: NinoPino

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
As the owner of a laptop with an i9-13900H, this news concerns me. Mine hasn't given me any trouble in the past 8 months. I usually keep my system on some sort of balanced profile or power plan instead of opting for the gamer-focused profiles. Wonder if that helps or not.

Intel needs to put out some information pointing in the direction of the issue. Is it something we can manage via software profiles? Is there a hardware defect? The lack of some sort of reasoning makes future Intel CPU purchases seem like a big risk.

Reactions: NinoPino