Dev / Video / Photo Editing

dipetersen

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2011
I'm out of my element in picking hardware. I can put it all together, I just don't know what pieces to purchase. I'm a programmer (Visual Studio, Photoshop, MSOffice suite) but video and photo editing are a hobby (I have a . I don't play any games. My last PC is over 5 years old and I'm starting to see where the software requirements are more than my current (max 2GB RAM) system can handle.

I've been looking at the different builds on the site but it looks as though most of them are geared toward gaming. Anybody see any problems with taking the Q4 performance build and bumping the RAM to 16G and removing one graphics card?
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/build-computer-how-to-overclock-gaming,3363.html

Here are my concerns:

Even if I take away one of the graphics cards, is the MSI card still overkill for what I want to do with it? I used to use a Matrox RTX.100 card for video capture and processing. That worked great until HiDef video came out. So - are there other graphic cards that work best with Premier or Sony Vegas?

Also - I like working with at least 2 hi res monitors. I am thinking about buying 2-24" monitors. Any recommendations on these are appreciated.

Cerunnos

Honorable
Sep 25, 2012
You'll need an Nvidia card for Premiere Pro's GPU acceleration. You also might not need such a high end graphics card as you won't be gaming. Therefore, you can look at an entry level Quadro/mid-range Geforce card.
You'll also need a dedicated capturing card as these card do not support video in. I have never used one so I don't have experience.
I'll also change out the Seagates for 2x 2TB WD Reds in RAID1 for security.

djosbun

Honorable
Dec 18, 2012
I use Sony Vegas Pro (ver. 8). Sony's website states that GPU acceleration is supported with either nVidia or AMD Radeon chips. I myself am putting together a new system (just ordered all the parts) for a mid-range workstation. Everything i've read (in terms of high-def video editing) is that for fastest render times you'll want an i7 and a mid-range video card at the minimum. An i5 is just as fast as the i7 in some video editing tests but a few tests had better results with the i7.

Just get the fastest processor and video card you can fit in the budget, along with 16gb RAM. You can always upgrade the video card at a later date, so probably best to get the fastest processor you can afford (and a good motherboard).

Dave

Cerunnos

Honorable
Sep 25, 2012

Yep, however, Premiere Pro uses CUDA, so a Nvidia card may serve him better. Because he does not need a very high end graphics card setup, and if he has the budget, he can transition to a X79 setup as 6c/12t will obviously be even better for the workload, however it'll be costly.