Developer Bringing Windows 8 UI to Windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpadeM

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
The Windows 8 tile interface that Microsoft showed off a couple weeks ago has been a big hit. The video that Microsoft released has hit 3.7 million views to date.

Sugarcoating s**t at it's finest. Just because it has 3.7 million hits doesn't mean it's a big hit. The rating/comments sections have been disabled so should I speculate on why that happened or should I take your word for it and Microsoft "invented" the coolest thing ever since sliced bread. That UI for desktop users is a piece of crap, 0 productivity benefits therefor it won't (or let's hope not) replace the tried and true desktop. I for one would much rather see WINFS spring back to life then this ... but since cloud computing is all the rage now...

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Interesting?

Not sure why anyone would want this type of UI on a desktop machine. Not even Apple is bringing their Mobile iOS UI to the new version Mac OS X next month, and Apple is the king of taking functioning technology and making it less functional.

Won't be getting this and I am hoping that this UI is optional in Windows 8. Otherwise I'll be sticking with Windows 7 for awhile.

carlhenry

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
[citation][nom]SpadeM[/nom]Sugarcoating s**t at it's finest. Just because it has 3.7 million hits doesn't mean it's a big hit. The rating/comments sections have been disabled so should I speculate on why that happened or should I take your word for it and Microsoft "invented" the coolest thing ever since sliced bread. That UI for desktop users is a piece of crap, 0 productivity benefits therefor it won't (or let's hope not) replace the tried and true desktop. I for one would much rather see WINFS spring back to life then this ... but since cloud computing is all the rage now...[/citation]
chill out. you haven't even tried the #$*(%% tiles yet and you try to sound you know everything. those tiles might look like crap but give it a chance. i'm sure some brilliant genius may be at MS or a 3rd party developer would make it useful.

phatboe

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
I for one think that the interface is great, for mobile devices. Would I ever want that interface anywhere near my desktop machine though, hell no.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Oh whoopee...3.7 million views. I wonder how many viewed it multiple times to accumulate this many views. Out of those who actually viewed it, AND currently run Windows 7, I wonder how many of those actually care. At risk of sounding like a MAC user (I hate MACs), why would we upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 8 when "it (Windows 7) just works" ?

guardianangel42

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
Did you guys even read the article? Better yet, did you comprehend it?

"Microsoft has made it clear that the new interface simply just exists on top of the current, familiar Windows desktop."

Though I don't know where they got this information or where exactly MS "made it clear" I have seen a demo where this new UI was replaced with the traditional desktop so I'm inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt.

That said, this article is about an independent developer creating a skin for Windows 7 that enables Windows 8 like functionality. For most people, like me, that's interesting but far from noteworthy. However, for Windows 7 tablet consumer owners of owners of any of those cool touchscreen all in ones, this could prove very cool.

So I'm failing to understand where nearly all of these comments are coming from. I can come up with a few things, but I prefer to give people the benefit of the doubt rather than label them something they aren't.

This article isn't about how Windows 8 is the best thing since sliced bread. It isn't about the benefits of this UI for a regular desktop user. It isn't even really about Windows 8. This is about an indie dev making a rather good looking skin for an existing OS just because they can.

reggieray

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2010
Sits on top of the current Windows 7 interface, kind of like their UI sitting on DOS for years with a 640k barrier.
I'll take Gnome sitting on a Linux kernel first.

segio526

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
Guys, it's for tablets. This is a tablet interface. You will NEVER use this on a desktop because that would be a huge step backwards on desktops. Microsoft has said this. Tom's Hardware has said this. This is the TABLET interface that this guy is reproducing for Windows 7. I'm sure the few Win7 tablet owners will love this. Anyone who tries to run this on their desktop will hate it. Tablets.

Cash091

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
Well, in the video you can see the guy drop the tile display for traditional desktop. And...sorry guys, but I can see this taking off... Problem is people here are basically techies(myself included) who can't really see past what works FOR THEM!!!
I would NEVER go for this myself, I like the control, but my wife's mother(like most americans) are electronically challenged and the new UI simplifies EVERYTHING! I work at a bank that still uses IE6 and when I mentioned another browser the people were dumbfounded. "What else can you use other than internet explorer?!?"
I was in best buy the other day and there were people shopping for a new PC who were marveling over an i3 with a 24in LED monitor saying it was an amazing PC even though it was sitting next an i7 2600 machine!
People don't need the traditional UI anymore. For most it just gives them more things to screw up! A few months ago my friends kids accidentally deleted important windows files and the OS wouldn't boot! Win8 would prevent that from happening!
Now, taking the ability to revert to the traditional UI would be THE WORST thing they could do, and I doubt they will, but this new UI will be a hit. You just need to think about the general public before you make assumptions. If the people at MSFT and apple didnt do that where would we be?!?

Cash091

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
[citation][nom]segio526[/nom]Guys, it's for tablets. This is a tablet interface. You will NEVER use this on a desktop because that would be a huge step backwards on desktops. Microsoft has said this. Tom's Hardware has said this. This is the TABLET interface that this guy is reproducing for Windows 7. I'm sure the few Win7 tablet owners will love this. Anyone who tries to run this on their desktop will hate it. Tablets.[/citation]
No, they clearly said that the new tile UI is for desktops as well... I don't know where you got this info but in the video he definately said that the new UI will be UNIVERSAL through all forms of hardware. Tablets....and DESKTOPS!

G

This seems a bit stupid to me. The first Microsoft Windows interface had all the mandatory features of a tablet (or PC) desktop: icons (shortcuts) that you can place where you want. What else does a desktop need? Those resizing features for application windows and multitasking seem like overkill for tablets. On such small screens there aren't many combinations of applications you can use simultaneously, because there's simply not enough space on the screen.

[citation][nom]Cash091[/nom]No, they clearly said that the new tile UI is for desktops as well... I don't know where you got this info but in the video he definately said that the new UI will be UNIVERSAL through all forms of hardware. Tablets....and DESKTOPS![/citation]Correct .. but it's not the ONLY UI available in all cases.

A potentially useful feature for someone that wants a standard UI for their phone, tablet, laptop and desktop (plus TV, car nav and entertainment center, refrigerator, etc etc?).

Maybe not so interesting for someone old and inflexible and set in their ways, but for the new users coming up likely to have all those devices in use at the same time a potential large benefit.

And there will be an optional (traditional) UI for those that don't want to use the default tile UI. Maybe not on phones or pads depending on the hardware spec, but mostly certainly on laptops or desktops.

Cash091

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
[citation][nom]WR2[/nom]Correct .. but it's not the ONLY UI available in all cases.A potentially useful feature for someone that wants a standard UI for their phone, tablet, laptop and desktop (plus TV, car nav and entertainment center, refrigerator, etc etc?). Maybe not so interesting for someone old and inflexible and set in their ways, but for the new users coming up likely to have all those devices in use at the same time a potential large benefit. And there will be an optional (traditional) UI for those that don't want to use the default tile UI. Maybe not on phones or pads depending on the hardware spec, but mostly certainly on laptops or desktops.[/citation]
That's what I said in my other post above. People are all nevous... "WHAT!?! They are killing Windows?!!"

NOOOO!! They are putting a nice blanket over it for all those people who don't really know what they are doing! Those of us that do...we can take that little blankie off and have full control!

malphas

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
[citation][nom]segio526[/nom]Guys, it's for tablets. This is a tablet interface. You will NEVER use this on a desktop because that would be a huge step backwards on desktops. Microsoft has said this. Tom's Hardware has said this. This is the TABLET interface that this guy is reproducing for Windows 7. I'm sure the few Win7 tablet owners will love this. Anyone who tries to run this on their desktop will hate it. Tablets.[/citation]
This. What the hell is wrong with people.

mfaudzinr

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2011
I really like where Windows 8 is going with the interface. It's fresh and fluid. I am a poweruser yet I am all for change. To me there are some usability benefit in simplifying the UI which makes for a better overall experience. It is still early yet to say how it would finally look like but so far I'm liking it.

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
I like my desktop to have as few icons as possible, with a nice wallpaper picture. What i see is a desktop full of tiled icons. My impression watching the video: Yuk, yuk and more yuk. Feature is nice on a browser (like Opera, which i use often) or a mobile with a small touch screen interface but not on a regular PC or notebook. If there's no way i can opt out of this feature in Win8, looks like i'll be using Win7 a lot longer like XP.

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
Clearly Microsoft won't actually deploy this as its primary desktop OS interface! It's either just a theme, or they are merely hyping up their efforts to actually become a relevant player in the mobile market. Windows 8 on our desktops will not look like this (unless you choose to use this theme?).

whysobluepandabear

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
Holy freak out from a lot of people.

First, Microsoft would NEVER force a completely new UI down our throats without having a VERY simple way of changing it. Microsoft is obviously trying to be innovative and redefine the typical OS. Problem is, some people are not interested in it whatsoever, and for many of us, yes, It would be very counter-productive.

That being said, THEY'RE DOING THIS BECAUSE THEY WANT AN OS THAT PLAYS NICE BETWEEN ALL DEVICES WITH WINDOWS (Phones, tabs, computers etc..)

This isn't mandatory, just an option. For some devices, you'll want this. For desktop, obviously not. However, some people are incredibly dumb and may prefer this tile setup for their desktop; at least give the window lickers the choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.