developers should be on the good side

G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

developers should be on the good side

developers are our true heroes!
all of them except valve cause they used their skills not to code
great pc games for us to enjoy but instead an extremely damaging
intrusive and going against consumer rights technology that has
us pc gamers as targets

developers skills should be used for good! not for evil!
developers skills should be used to create great pc games not to
come out with new ways to imprison and control us pc gamers!

steam is the classic story of man's intelligence applied to evil!

sometimes i ask myself how can the programmers working at valve
have a clear conscience when what they are doing is damaging us

many of valve employees must be also pc gamers so how can they be
part of this evil plan valve has when they know they are hurting
fellow gamers
i can only find a reason in money
valve promised them lots of money when steam war machine finally
conquered the pc game market

i know money is extremely important, but making it the only reason
to do things and the final goal in life is wrong
i will not talk about morals but its plain simple, valve developers
failed us completely so its obvious they are no longer our heroes

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

against steam campaign
http://nosteam.afterdarknet.at/

steamwatch - independent observatory about steam
http://www.steamwatch.org/

please sign petition "Say NO! to Steam!" available at:
http://www.petitiononline.com/nosteam/petition.html
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"sayNO2steam" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:7lal21d95opo4cbospn772lvb8vu3i7tmn@4ax.com...
> developers should be on the good side
>
> developers are our true heroes!

I wouldn't call game developers 'heros'. This term, IMO, is over used.
We use it to describe sports figures, movie stars, rock singers, ... and now
game developers? Hitting a home run, singing a ballad, designing a game,
or acting in movie, while entertaining, isn't a heroic act.

Maybe some folks 'idolize' the above, but IMO heros will be those that act
when faced with dangerous situtations and still enter the fray, or fight to
save lives.

Firefighters, policemen, soldiers, doctors-nurses, ...

<snip>
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"OldDog" wrote

> I wouldn't call game developers 'heros'. This term, IMO, is over used.
> We use it to describe sports figures, movie stars, rock singers, ... and
> now
> game developers? Hitting a home run, singing a ballad, designing a game,
> or acting in movie, while entertaining, isn't a heroic act.

There's a few artists I'd like to consider great heros
>
> Maybe some folks 'idolize' the above, but IMO heros will be those that act
> when faced with dangerous situtations and still enter the fray, or fight
> to
> save lives.
>
> Firefighters, policemen, soldiers, doctors-nurses, ...
>
Yeahh the everyday heros, add some politicians to the list

- Peter
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

Peter Lykkegaard <peter.aghl@gmail.com> typed as if devouring a plate
of spoo:
> "OldDog" wrote
>
>> I wouldn't call game developers 'heros'. This term, IMO, is over
>> used. We use it to describe sports figures, movie stars, rock
>> singers, ... and now
>> game developers? Hitting a home run, singing a ballad, designing a
>> game, or acting in movie, while entertaining, isn't a heroic act.
>
> There's a few artists I'd like to consider great heros
>>
>> Maybe some folks 'idolize' the above, but IMO heros will be those
>> that act when faced with dangerous situtations and still enter the
>> fray, or fight to
>> save lives.
>>
>> Firefighters, policemen, soldiers, doctors-nurses, ...
>>
> Yeahh the everyday heros, add some politicians to the list
>

No, all politicians are lying self-serving hypocrites.

--
--
There is no spoon.

EvilBill - http://evilbill.50megs.com/index.html
My Quake2 FTP site: ftp://65.30.181.223/quake2/EvilBill/
Jack of Hearts of the Eeeevil Trek Cabal (TINC)
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"EvilBill" wrote
> Peter Lykkegaard <peter.aghl@gmail.com> typed as if devouring a plate
> of spoo:
>> "OldDog" wrote
>>
>>> I wouldn't call game developers 'heros'. This term, IMO, is over
>>> used. We use it to describe sports figures, movie stars, rock
>>> singers, ... and now
>>> game developers? Hitting a home run, singing a ballad, designing a
>>> game, or acting in movie, while entertaining, isn't a heroic act.
>>
>> There's a few artists I'd like to consider great heros
>>>
>>> Maybe some folks 'idolize' the above, but IMO heros will be those
>>> that act when faced with dangerous situtations and still enter the
>>> fray, or fight to
>>> save lives.
>>>
>>> Firefighters, policemen, soldiers, doctors-nurses, ...
>>>
>> Yeahh the everyday heros, add some politicians to the list
>>
>
> No, all politicians are lying self-serving hypocrites.
>
All?

Will you please exclude Martin Luther King or Ghandi frrom this list?

- Peter
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

Peter Lykkegaard <peter.aghl@gmail.com> typed as if devouring a plate
of spoo:
> "EvilBill" wrote
>> Peter Lykkegaard <peter.aghl@gmail.com> typed as if devouring a plate
>> of spoo:
>>> "OldDog" wrote
>>>
>>>> I wouldn't call game developers 'heros'. This term, IMO, is over
>>>> used. We use it to describe sports figures, movie stars, rock
>>>> singers, ... and now
>>>> game developers? Hitting a home run, singing a ballad, designing
>>>> a game, or acting in movie, while entertaining, isn't a heroic act.
>>>
>>> There's a few artists I'd like to consider great heros
>>>>
>>>> Maybe some folks 'idolize' the above, but IMO heros will be those
>>>> that act when faced with dangerous situtations and still enter the
>>>> fray, or fight to
>>>> save lives.
>>>>
>>>> Firefighters, policemen, soldiers, doctors-nurses, ...
>>>>
>>> Yeahh the everyday heros, add some politicians to the list
>>>
>>
>> No, all politicians are lying self-serving hypocrites.
>>
> All?
>
> Will you please exclude Martin Luther King or Ghandi frrom this list?
>

Qualifier: all currently living politicians.

--
--
There is no spoon.

EvilBill - http://evilbill.50megs.com/index.html
My Quake2 FTP site: ftp://65.30.181.223/quake2/EvilBill/
Jack of Hearts of the Eeeevil Trek Cabal (TINC)
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

Lizard wrote:

> No one could care that much about a copy protection scheme.

A pirate would.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"EvilBill" wrote in message news:0H%Wd.399$tV4.301@newsfe6-gui.ntli.net...
> Peter Lykkegaard <peter.aghl@gmail.com> typed as if devouring a plate
> of spoo:
>> "EvilBill" wrote
>>> Peter Lykkegaard <peter.aghl@gmail.com> typed as if devouring a plate
>>> of spoo:
>>>> "OldDog" wrote
>>>>
>>>>> I wouldn't call game developers 'heros'. This term, IMO, is over
>>>>> used. We use it to describe sports figures, movie stars, rock
>>>>> singers, ... and now
>>>>> game developers? Hitting a home run, singing a ballad, designing
>>>>> a game, or acting in movie, while entertaining, isn't a heroic act.
>>>>
>>>> There's a few artists I'd like to consider great heros
>>>>>
>>>>> Maybe some folks 'idolize' the above, but IMO heros will be those
>>>>> that act when faced with dangerous situtations and still enter the
>>>>> fray, or fight to
>>>>> save lives.
>>>>>
>>>>> Firefighters, policemen, soldiers, doctors-nurses, ...
>>>>>
>>>> Yeahh the everyday heros, add some politicians to the list
>>>>
>>>
>>> No, all politicians are lying self-serving hypocrites.
>>>
>> All?
>>
>> Will you please exclude Martin Luther King or Ghandi frrom this list?
>>
>
> Qualifier: all currently living politicians.
>
That narrows down the search a little, but they still exists

- Peter
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

Peter Lykkegaard <peter.aghl@gmail.com> typed as if devouring a plate
of spoo:
> "EvilBill" wrote in message
>>
>> Qualifier: all currently living politicians.
>>
> That narrows down the search a little, but they still exists
>

I can't think of a single politician that's held office in Britain or the US
in my lifetime, that I've felt I could trust.

--
--
There is no spoon.

EvilBill - http://evilbill.50megs.com/index.html
My Quake2 FTP site: ftp://65.30.181.223/quake2/EvilBill/
Jack of Hearts of the Eeeevil Trek Cabal (TINC)
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

Thusly "EvilBill" <quake2livesGETLOSTSPAMMERS@gmail.com> Spake Unto
All:

>>> Firefighters, policemen, soldiers, doctors-nurses, ...
>>>
>> Yeahh the everyday heros, add some politicians to the list
>
>No, all politicians are lying self-serving hypocrites.

While, interestingly enough, all firefighters, policemen, soldiers,
doctors and nurses are unselfish, honest, righteous, upstanding and
simply heroic.



--
"Moral indignation permits envy or hate to be acted out in the guise of virtue."
-- Erich Fromm
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"EvilBill" <quake2livesGETLOSTSPAMMERS@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:Jc2Xd.1046$tV4.21@newsfe6-gui.ntli.net
> Peter Lykkegaard <peter.aghl@gmail.com> typed as if devouring a plate
> of spoo:
>> "EvilBill" wrote in message
>>>
>>> Qualifier: all currently living politicians.
>>>
>> That narrows down the search a little, but they still exists
>>
>
> I can't think of a single politician that's held office in Britain or
> the US in my lifetime, that I've felt I could trust.
>
> --

Have you even been over here EB?!?!? Gee whiz!
McG.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

McGrandpa <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> typed as if devouring a plate
of spoo:
> "EvilBill" <quake2livesGETLOSTSPAMMERS@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:Jc2Xd.1046$tV4.21@newsfe6-gui.ntli.net
>> Peter Lykkegaard <peter.aghl@gmail.com> typed as if devouring a plate
>> of spoo:
>>> "EvilBill" wrote in message
>>>>
>>>> Qualifier: all currently living politicians.
>>>>
>>> That narrows down the search a little, but they still exists
>>>
>>
>> I can't think of a single politician that's held office in Britain or
>> the US in my lifetime, that I've felt I could trust.
>>
>> --
>
> Have you even been over here EB?!?!? Gee whiz!
> McG.

No, but your politicians are on our TVs almost as much as ours are! <g>

--
--
There is no spoon.

EvilBill - http://evilbill.50megs.com/index.html
My Quake2 FTP site: ftp://65.30.181.223/quake2/EvilBill/
Jack of Hearts of the Eeeevil Trek Cabal (TINC)
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"EvilBill" <quake2livesGETLOSTSPAMMERS@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:XQ4Xd.1613$tV4.599@newsfe6-gui.ntli.net
> McGrandpa <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> typed as if devouring a plate
> of spoo:
>> "EvilBill" <quake2livesGETLOSTSPAMMERS@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:Jc2Xd.1046$tV4.21@newsfe6-gui.ntli.net
>>> Peter Lykkegaard <peter.aghl@gmail.com> typed as if devouring a
>>> plate of spoo:
>>>> "EvilBill" wrote in message
>>>>>
>>>>> Qualifier: all currently living politicians.
>>>>>
>>>> That narrows down the search a little, but they still exists
>>>>
>>>
>>> I can't think of a single politician that's held office in Britain
>>> or the US in my lifetime, that I've felt I could trust.
>>>
>>> --
>>
>> Have you even been over here EB?!?!? Gee whiz!
>> McG.
>
> No, but your politicians are on our TVs almost as much as ours are!
> <g>
> --

Duh! Hey it's because of THAT (and rotten programming) I very rarely
even turn my TV on. I will do to watch a DVD movie in the living room
:) But being a lazy ol codger I mostly just pop them in the computer
and watch them on the 19" LCD :)
McG.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"EvilBill" wrote
> Peter Lykkegaard typed as if devouring a plate
> of spoo:
>> "EvilBill" wrote in message
>>>
>>> Qualifier: all currently living politicians.
>>>
>> That narrows down the search a little, but they still exists
>>
> I can't think of a single politician that's held office in Britain or the
> US in my lifetime, that I've felt I could trust.
>
That narrows it down even more
We have come from "all politicians" though "all living politicians" to "all
living politicians in US or Britain" - that's a jump

You can probably find some honest and decent ladies or gent's even in that
group

I am not that familiar with politics in US or Britain, but I reckon we can
narrow the number down even more by only looking at politicians involved in
the government somehow?

- Peter
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

Thusly "Peter Lykkegaard" <peter.aghl@gmail.com> Spake Unto All:

>That narrows it down even more
>We have come from "all politicians" though "all living politicians" to "all
>living politicians in US or Britain" - that's a jump
>
>You can probably find some honest and decent ladies or gent's even in that
>group

Yeah, but can you find any who's not into whips and rubber?
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

McGrandpa <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> typed as if devouring a plate
of spoo:
> "EvilBill" <quake2livesGETLOSTSPAMMERS@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> No, but your politicians are on our TVs almost as much as ours are!
>> <g>
>
> Duh! Hey it's because of THAT (and rotten programming) I very rarely
> even turn my TV on. I will do to watch a DVD movie in the living room
> :) But being a lazy ol codger I mostly just pop them in the computer
> and watch them on the 19" LCD :)
> McG.

I know how that goes, LOL :)
Except for me it's a 15" CRT ;)

--
--
There is no spoon.

EvilBill - http://evilbill.50megs.com/index.html
My Quake2 FTP site: ftp://65.30.181.223/quake2/EvilBill/
Jack of Hearts of the Eeeevil Trek Cabal (TINC)
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"EvilBill" <quake2livesGETLOSTSPAMMERS@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:x67Xd.1882$tV4.1831@newsfe6-gui.ntli.net
> McGrandpa <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> typed as if devouring a plate
> of spoo:
>> "EvilBill" <quake2livesGETLOSTSPAMMERS@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> No, but your politicians are on our TVs almost as much as ours are!
>>> <g>
>>
>> Duh! Hey it's because of THAT (and rotten programming) I very rarely
>> even turn my TV on. I will do to watch a DVD movie in the living
>> room :) But being a lazy ol codger I mostly just pop them in the
>> computer and watch them on the 19" LCD :)
>> McG.
>
> I know how that goes, LOL :)
> Except for me it's a 15" CRT ;)
>
> --

Beats not having a monitor! Though I haven't known ya to be without one
all these years. Same one???
McG.
 

skeksis

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2004
49
0
18,530
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

sayNO2steam <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote in
news:7lal21d95opo4cbospn772lvb8vu3i7tmn@4ax.com:

> developers should be on the good side

Why don't you get a life?

So, you don't like Steam. *I* am not particularly fond of the idea but
your incessant ranting is simply annoying. Can't you find anything better
to do with your time?

Skeksis
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

McGrandpa <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> typed as if devouring a plate
of spoo:
> "EvilBill" <quake2livesGETLOSTSPAMMERS@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> I know how that goes, LOL :)
>> Except for me it's a 15" CRT ;)
>
> Beats not having a monitor! Though I haven't known ya to be without
> one all these years. Same one???

I did have a 14" CRT back when I was stuck with that horrible Cyrix-based
machine; replaced it when it was on its last legs.
Sadly, I can't afford a 17" one (or fit it on my desk for that matter!)

--
--
There is no spoon.

EvilBill - http://evilbill.50megs.com/index.html
My Quake2 FTP site: ftp://65.30.181.223/quake2/EvilBill/
Jack of Hearts of the Eeeevil Trek Cabal (TINC)
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

Cory Dunkle wrote:
> The only thing that concerns me is being able to play the game
off-line. I
> don't know if it's possible, and if it is, if I have to jump thorugh
hoops
> and do things when I'm on-line first (leaving me unable to play my
game if
> my internet connection goes kaput).

You just don't let Steam connect to the internet and it go into
"Offline mode". You can do this by either making sure you do not have
an open connection when you start Steam (it cannot open a new
connection itself, it can only make use of an existing connection); or
the word is that the "offline mode" in the options or settings or
somewhere now actually works and that will force offline mode
regardless of whether you're online or not.


> Then of course tehre is the issue of
> what if Valve decided to stop supporting the game, or (unlikely) goes
under?
> Are they going to release a patch first that allows it to run both
online
> and offline totally independant from Steam? I don't know the answers
to
> those issues. If anyone else does, please feel free to chime in.

No-one knows. The fanbois all say "of course Valve will issue a patch",
but there's no written (or indeed verbal AFAIK) indication from valve
that this will happen. All we've got to go on is the fact that the
fan-base for HL1 was so big it kept the game going for 6 years, and
it's likely that HL2 will have the same support. And Valve have pinned
their future on Steam, so they've got to support it to stay alive.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"Chadwick" wrote

> No-one knows. The fanbois all say "of course Valve will issue a patch",
> but there's no written (or indeed verbal AFAIK) indication from valve
> that this will happen. All we've got to go on is the fact that the
> fan-base for HL1 was so big it kept the game going for 6 years, and
> it's likely that HL2 will have the same support. And Valve have pinned
> their future on Steam, so they've got to support it to stay alive.
>
CS 1.6 is still running using WON free servers
The same thing will happen with HL2
Hell You already have offline cracks for HL2

In the SDK libraries you have hooks and support for non steam servers
All though it's not legal to do a HL2 free mod it is indeed possible

- Peter
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"Peter Lykkegaard" <peter.aghl@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:398m8aF5vgigeU1@individual.net...
> "Chadwick" wrote
>
>> No-one knows. The fanbois all say "of course Valve will issue a patch",
>> but there's no written (or indeed verbal AFAIK) indication from valve
>> that this will happen. All we've got to go on is the fact that the
>> fan-base for HL1 was so big it kept the game going for 6 years, and
>> it's likely that HL2 will have the same support. And Valve have pinned
>> their future on Steam, so they've got to support it to stay alive.
>>
> CS 1.6 is still running using WON free servers
> The same thing will happen with HL2
> Hell You already have offline cracks for HL2
>
> In the SDK libraries you have hooks and support for non steam servers
> All though it's not legal to do a HL2 free mod it is indeed possible
>
> - Peter
>

Peter can you please stop talking to these guys with FACTS, just start
spouting rhetoric like they are. Facts will only confuse them
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"CounterStrikeJunkie" wrote

> Peter can you please stop talking to these guys with FACTS, just start
> spouting rhetoric like they are. Facts will only confuse them
Ups sorry, you are absolutely right, I was way off
Shall never happen again

- Peter
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"Peter Lykkegaard" <peter.aghl@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:398t03F5ul08fU1@individual.net...
> "CounterStrikeJunkie" wrote
>
>> Peter can you please stop talking to these guys with FACTS, just start
>> spouting rhetoric like they are. Facts will only confuse them
> Ups sorry, you are absolutely right, I was way off
> Shall never happen again
>
> - Peter
>

They sound like newspaper reports to me , you know

"A modern reporter will never let the facts get in the way of a good story"

Can't remember who said that.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

CounterStrikeJunkie wrote:
> "Peter Lykkegaard" <peter.aghl@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:398t03F5ul08fU1@individual.net...
>> "CounterStrikeJunkie" wrote
>>
>>> Peter can you please stop talking to these guys with FACTS, just
>>> start spouting rhetoric like they are. Facts will only confuse them
>> Ups sorry, you are absolutely right, I was way off
>> Shall never happen again
>>
>> - Peter
>>
>
> They sound like newspaper reports to me , you know
>
> "A modern reporter will never let the facts get in the way of a good
> story"
>
> Can't remember who said that.

sounds like a hunter s thompson quote but i'm not sure

--


You're not a God, you're a birthday cake!