Device manager display wrong serial number for my SSD

Dexter_4

Commendable
Sep 2, 2016
Hello everyone, so I just bought a Kingston Hyperx Fury SSD from a local dealer, the serial number of this model is shfs37a120g. However, in device manager, it displays a kingston sv300s37a/120g, which is another model. I'm using a very old laptop, a Lenovo g410, so I wondered if this is my laptop's fault or could it be that I bought a fake SSD?
Xcxqfzi

Solution
Kingston uses Phantom technology as an anti-counterfeit measure. The right hand side of the band that has "WARRANTY VOID IF REMOVED", written on it, should turn grey to dark grey when held at different angles.

The SSD's firmware EEPROM should store the model number and serial number. You should be able to use freeware utilities like HWiNFO64 that will display the SSD's S.M.A.R.T. info that should display that information.
Are you sure? If the model number was on a sticker (that is NOT a serial number), there's a high chance they sold you a $40 drive for the price of a $50 drive

Check the drive itself for the actual serial number and contact Kingston to see what it matches. If it is indeed a V300 rather than the Fury, contact your local police and file a fraud claim.

Dexter_4

Commendable
Sep 2, 2016

Thank you for your reply, this is how my SSD looks
https://s22.postimg.io/h2742too1/IMG_20160903_110137.jpg
Do you think this look fake? This is my first time buying a SSD so I'm kinda confused.
I'm going to call Kingston support, but it is Saturday here, so I'll have to wait until Monday.

Kingston uses Phantom technology as an anti-counterfeit measure. The right hand side of the band that has "WARRANTY VOID IF REMOVED", written on it, should turn grey to dark grey when held at different angles.

The SSD's firmware EEPROM should store the model number and serial number. You should be able to use freeware utilities like HWiNFO64 that will display the SSD's S.M.A.R.T. info that should display that information.

Solution