[SOLVED] Device manager error code 10 on ethernet card after replacing computer case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbowman487

Honorable
Nov 6, 2015
I replaced my computer case and changed my cooling system from a tower heat sink to a liquid system. Seemingly very simple, everything fits into place and nothing looks damaged. After starting my system back up I could no longer connect to the internet. After some digging I found Device Manager Error Code 10 (Windows failed to start this device) listed under my Ethernet adaptor. I reinstalled all the drivers for my mother board, uninstalled and reinstalled my graphics card, I even did a complete OS reinstallation from the OS disk. Nothing has helped. Any ideas what I did or why this is happening?? The only thing I have noticed that is slightly suspicious is the alignment of the back of my motherboard and the back panel. They are slightly off, but we're talking maybe a millimeter. All of the screws and ports still fit into place and everything else is functioning normally. Please help!

**Guess I should mention I'm working with an ASUS Z170 micro atx motherboard, Intel Core i7 6700k processor, had the error with both Windows 7 and 10. New cooler is a Deepcool gamer storm captain 240.

I don't know about your Asus mobo but most boards have little, springy metal tabs on the backplane where it meets the mobo sockets. Did you check to see if one of these tabs might be bent slightly and shorting or somehow interfering with your network socket?

Yogi

I suggest you double check in the motherboards bios that you have not disabled the Ethernet port of the motherboard by accident, or if you performed a factory restore of your bios via a jumper on the motherboard

The factory default bios settings may have the Ethernet port disabled.

There can a few causes to a Error code 10 message when you look at the driver, or hardware device in windows device manager.

Sometimes simply plugging in for example a Pci or Pci-e card into the slots of the motherboard from it`s original position to another free slot if you have any add in cards can cause a conflict in IRQ resources, if the case make sure any expansion card used goes into the exact same slot as before to the motherboard if you migrated the board to another case for example.

sbowman487

Honorable
Nov 6, 2015
Very late reply but turned out to be a faulty motherboard. RMA'd with ASUS and was lucky enough to have it covered under warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.