[SOLVED] Device Manager > Quick removal or high performance

danny009

Reputable
Apr 11, 2019
Which one is the safest and better? Can I lost data or corrupt it when pc is turned off, when it set to high performance and when unplug the usb cable? Having set to high performance can damage my external SSD in long term somehow? Reduce its lifespan? Is it safe to unplug the cable when pc turned off? Because Quick removal I think ruins the speed of the ssd when I in game loading, I have USB 3.0 socket (early one) and even with that and set to high performance I got better loading time in some games. I also can see the high number of reading and writing rates on Task Manager. I really like to set to high performance but I also do not want to risk my ssd in stability in long term.

I even did read some horror stories on Google that switching back to quick removal made the disks unusable and required to format entire drive resulting in losing everything on that usb drive or pen drive. When I did that, it made me reboot my computer to take changes to effect but thank goodness I didn't lose anything. Is this normal behaviour?

Device manager > storage > right click properties > policies tab

Solution
Before you unplug the drive, make sure you right click on it and click "Eject" in the This PC tab of your File Explorer. Additionally, when plugged in, a "Safely Remove Hardware" icon will show up on your task bar. Make sure to click on it and use the tool to eject your disk. Once Windows alerts you that the process is done it will be safe to unplug your drive.

General_Cool

Distinguished
Before you unplug the drive, make sure you right click on it and click "Eject" in the This PC tab of your File Explorer. Additionally, when plugged in, a "Safely Remove Hardware" icon will show up on your task bar. Make sure to click on it and use the tool to eject your disk. Once Windows alerts you that the process is done it will be safe to unplug your drive.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS