[SOLVED] Device Manager refreshing causing performance issues (Win10)

Mar 20, 2022
Hey all,
so a few days ago i noticed something strange while playing elden ring. About every minute or two, the game would freeze for about a half second, unfreeze for a second, and then freeze for another half second. I looked into it and found that other were people having the same issue, and theirs was caused from device manager constantly refreshing as FromSoftware titles have been known to be sensitive to "input changes" on their pc ports. Some people were able to fix this by removing some stray cables they had plugged in, some from internet settings (though i don't remember much from that comment and cant find it now), etc. I tried all these, i even unplugged every single peripheral (minus my monitor, for obvious reasons), but to no avail. Since then i've tried many things, but nothing has seemed to work. It still refreshes. The closest i've been was when using dragon center, i updated the drivers for everything i could which fixed it for a while, but it didn't work long term. I did it at night and it was back to messing up again by the next morning. The expanded/more concise rundown here:

Things i have tried but haven't worked:
  • Reinstalling windows using upgrade in place to the same version (21H2)
  • Flashing bios (after some weird update i did that kinda "broke" my MB i needed to do it. did the update after everything in a last ditch effort (yes it was an official update, but also experimental))
  • Unplugging everything minus my monitor
  • disabling (and later re-enabling) error reporting service in services.msc
  • performing a clean boot by disabling every single non-windows service in msconfig.
  • there may have been other minor things ive tried but dont remember. those are the most relevant ones
  • sfc /scannow in console admin mode

Things that i tried that worked, to an extent:
  • updating all drivers. broke again within 24 hours.
  • booting into safe mode. im about 80% that it was fixed while in there. i was watching device manager for a while and nothing changed or i missed any changes (low chance). could've been a hot-streak though. even if i did work, i can't just leave my computer in safe mode forever

Things that i have that fixed it for good:
- nothing (yet, hopefully)

Notes:
  • when it refreshes, this task called something like "Windows Device Manager" would shoot up for a split second in task manager when sorting highest to lowest on either CPU or RAM usage, i think it was CPU
  • i dont know how long this has been going on as it has only affected performance in elden ring. every other game i play has just been able to take it given its been an issue for a while
  • computer was built by me back in june last year. has worked fine since, no major issues, only minor ones like fans randomly rattling and my pump sounding weird on my aio sometimes (not that minor, but it goes away randomly or while under load. pump performance is fine, could probably use for some new thermal paste and for the block to be reseated though).
  • only major thing i've done to my computer since was when something broke a while back and had to reinstall windows exactly how i did for one of the attempted fixes.

Computer specs:
  • MSI B550 gaming plus motherboard
  • ryzen 5800x cpu
  • gigabyte 1660ti gpu
  • 2x8 gskill trident z rgb. forgot the speed and cant find the box to check it
  • 1tb nvme 2b hdd

I'll try anything that wont delete my data, and re-do anything y'all want me to. If you want me to expand on anything i've said then just ask, ill give a more detailed run-down, make a video showcasing what im talking about/what you want, etc. I'm getting desperate at this point.
If you want a snappier response, or to make going back-forth easier, feel free to dm me on discord: Inrull#4866. Going to bed right now as its late, but i'll respond to everything once i wake up tomorrow, given i get responses overnight. Thanks!

Hey all,
so a few days ago i noticed something strange while playing elden ring. About every minute or two, the game would freeze for about a half second, unfreeze for a second, and then freeze for another half second. I looked into it and found that other were people having the same issue, and theirs was caused from device manager constantly refreshing as FromSoftware titles have been known to be sensitive to "input changes" on their pc ports. Some people were able to fix this by removing some stray cables they had plugged in, some from internet settings (though i don't remember much from that comment and cant find it now), etc. I tried all these, i even unplugged every single peripheral (minus my monitor, for obvious reasons), but to no avail. Since then i've tried many things, but nothing has seemed to work. It still refreshes. The closest i've been was when using dragon center, i updated the drivers for everything i could which fixed it for a while, but it didn't work long term. I did it at night and it was back to messing up again by the next morning. The expanded/more concise rundown here:

Things i have tried but haven't worked:
  • Reinstalling windows using upgrade in place to the same version (21H2)
  • Flashing bios (after some weird update i did that kinda "broke" my MB i needed to do it. did the update after everything in a last ditch effort (yes it was an official update, but also experimental))
  • Unplugging everything minus my monitor
  • disabling (and later re-enabling) error reporting service in services.msc
  • performing a clean boot by disabling every single non-windows service in msconfig.
  • there may have been other minor things ive tried but dont remember. those are the most relevant ones
  • sfc /scannow in console admin mode
Things that i tried that worked, to an extent:
  • updating all drivers. broke again within 24 hours.
  • booting into safe mode. im about 80% that it was fixed while in there. i was watching device manager for a while and nothing changed or i missed any changes (low chance). could've been a hot-streak though. even if i did work, i can't just leave my computer in safe mode forever
Things that i have that fixed it for good:
- nothing (yet, hopefully)

Notes:
  • when it refreshes, this task called something like "Windows Device Manager" would shoot up for a split second in task manager when sorting highest to lowest on either CPU or RAM usage, i think it was CPU
  • i dont know how long this has been going on as it has only affected performance in elden ring. every other game i play has just been able to take it given its been an issue for a while
  • computer was built by me back in june last year. has worked fine since, no major issues, only minor ones like fans randomly rattling and my pump sounding weird on my aio sometimes (not that minor, but it goes away randomly or while under load. pump performance is fine, could probably use for some new thermal paste and for the block to be reseated though).
  • only major thing i've done to my computer since was when something broke a while back and had to reinstall windows exactly how i did for one of the attempted fixes.
Computer specs:
  • MSI B550 gaming plus motherboard
  • ryzen 5800x cpu
  • gigabyte 1660ti gpu
  • 2x8 gskill trident z rgb. forgot the speed and cant find the box to check it
  • 1tb nvme 2b hdd
I'll try anything that wont delete my data, and re-do anything y'all want me to. If you want me to expand on anything i've said then just ask, ill give a more detailed run-down, make a video showcasing what im talking about/what you want, etc. I'm getting desperate at this point.
If you want a snappier response, or to make going back-forth easier, feel free to dm me on discord: Inrull#4866. Going to bed right now as its late, but i'll respond to everything once i wake up tomorrow, given i get responses overnight. Thanks!
start cmd.exe as an admin then run
net.exe stop "plug and play"

and see if you still have the problem.
rebooting or running
net.exe start "plug and play"
will turn it back on.

I would expect device manager to be very quick unless there was a pending plug and play install.

I looked at what Colif said, but uninstalling the microsoft device association root enumerator might be a bit drastic.

if stopping plug and play prevents the problem you can then try to find the cause of the problem and fix it. Sounds like a failed or pending driver install.

you might consider going into bios, changing any setting and change it back, save the result and reboot back into windows.
(I am just thinking how the device enumerator could get screwed up)

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS