device names on windows xp

here is my drive config

ide0: 20gig maxtor - drive c
ide0-secondary: 40gig WD drive d (windows installation)
ide1: 40gig ibm - drive e (swap is on this drive)
ide1-secondary - cd burner

promise controller
slot0: 80gig maxtor - drive j
slot1: 120gig maxtor - drive k

now sometimes when drive j is busy (copying files or viewing thumbnails) the
system will freeze up sometimes I'll have to reboot because explorer just
gets stuck while existing apps run just fine. The event viewer shows

Error: The device, \Device\Scsi\ultra1, did not respond within the timeout
period.
Warning: An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging
operation.

about 30 seconds later (this is probably when I notice the freeze)

Error: The device, \Device\Scsi\ultra1, is not ready for access yet.
Error: The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk0\D.

Now I'm not sure wtf is going on here and which drive is bad, if any drive
is bad at all. The names windows gives the drives is sort of stupid I can't
figure out which drives are causing the errors. Or which controller (the one
on motherboard or the promise controller). I know this happens when I'm
using drive j (I don't use drive k that much to notice anything) but what is
\Device\Harddisk0\D? is it my drive D and why would it give me problems when
I'm using drive j? the swap file is on drive e

my mobo is asus with nvidia chipset

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 06:16:21 GMT, "Monster"
<do.not.email@yo.mamas.hairy.ass.com> wrote:

>here is my drive config
>
>ide0: 20gig maxtor - drive c
>ide0-secondary: 40gig WD drive d (windows installation)
>ide1: 40gig ibm - drive e (swap is on this drive)
>ide1-secondary - cd burner
>
>promise controller
>slot0: 80gig maxtor - drive j
>slot1: 120gig maxtor - drive k
>

>now sometimes when drive j is busy (copying files or viewing thumbnails) the
>system will freeze up sometimes I'll have to reboot because explorer just
>gets stuck while existing apps run just fine. The event viewer shows
>
>Error: The device, \Device\Scsi\ultra1, did not respond within the timeout
>period.
>Warning: An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging
>operation.
>
>about 30 seconds later (this is probably when I notice the freeze)
>
>Error: The device, \Device\Scsi\ultra1, is not ready for access yet.
>Error: The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk0\D.
>
>Now I'm not sure wtf is going on here and which drive is bad, if any drive
>is bad at all. The names windows gives the drives is sort of stupid I can't
>figure out which drives are causing the errors. Or which controller (the one
>on motherboard or the promise controller). I know this happens when I'm
>using drive j (I don't use drive k that much to notice anything) but what is
>\Device\Harddisk0\D? is it my drive D and why would it give me problems when
>I'm using drive j? the swap file is on drive e
>
>my mobo is asus with nvidia chipset

I presume you have the TX2 card.

1.) If so, first make sure you are using the latest BIOS for the card
(version 2.20.0.15):

http://www.promise.com/support/file/bios/ultra133tx2b220015.zip

The TX2 BIOS version is shown at system boot time after the Mobo BIOS
has done its POST, before the TX2's attached drives are detected.

2.) Ensure you are using the latest XP driver which isn't MS WHQL
certified but works fine. (Check Device Manager -SCSI Controllers)
The latest is V2.0.0.43 and is dated 16-5-2003:

http://www.promise.com/support/file/driver/1_ultra133_driver_b43.zip

(N.B. After 4 hours of use after a system boot, you will get hourly
warnings in your XP Event Log about "The driver has detected that
device \Device\Scsi\ultra1 has old or out-of-date firmware. Reduced
performance may result."

....but just ignore them. )

If this doesn't cure your problem then schedule a start up full
surface scan with "chkdsk /r" on both drives. I had a failing WD
80Gig disk with an increasing number of bad blocks that was doing just
what you've described.

HTH.

I doubt it's your hard drive. I have the same problem periodically.
Do check and make sure you have the latest bios and if you do then
try an earlier driver version. This hasn't worked for me but I know
some folks that it did work for. There seems to be a problem between
the drivers for the onboard controller and the promise card,

Are you using an nforce 2 board by chance?