[SOLVED] Device only works in Half Duplex

Aug 6, 2021
Long story short, I have a cable that only allows devices to work in half duplex. My laptop can be changed to 10/100 Full Duplex or 10/100 Half Duplex and receive a connection. The hand punch device I have worked on 10 Full Duplex, now only works on 10 Half Duplex. This cable runs directly into a managed switch, which I've swapped the ports multiple times. All say the device is running at 10 Half Duplex, which is right. Once I set the device to Auto negotiate, the switch doesn't recognize the hand punch anymore.

What would cause a device to need to be set to run at these speeds? My old hand punch machine worked flawlessly, provided it was pretty old. I considered the distance of the cable, but it seems well less than 300 feet.

Any help is appreciated

Solution
If you're installing gigabit equipment where there was previous only 10/100, there's a pretty good chance that the wiring simply doesn't meet gigabit specs at all and why the older gear was left in place (and should be). Today's gear isn't made to run 10/100 well as it's an afterthought.
Aug 6, 2021
Ahhh okay. I'm assuming because that previous device was pretty old that it just functioned well, or was running off half already. Who knows.

I appreciate your help! I'm just going to go ahead and get this resolved.

Reactions: SamirD
If you're installing gigabit equipment where there was previous only 10/100, there's a pretty good chance that the wiring simply doesn't meet gigabit specs at all and why the older gear was left in place (and should be). Today's gear isn't made to run 10/100 well as it's an afterthought.

Reactions: Ravens905
Solution