Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 8, 2023
I formatted my device, but after doing the format, I could not know the serial number of my device. I searched in the CMD and wrote (wmic bios get serialnumber) to find out the serial number, so the system told me (Default string) I did a lot of commands and got the same result and I went to the motherboard bios to look for the serial number, but I couldn't find it.

because I want to add my device to my Microsoft account. and they didn't help me. by the way, my PC is DIY

Thanking you in anticipation.

Regards,

Fahad

There's really no way to recover a lost Windows key on a DIY built computer because it's only saved within the Windows install. If you bought a physical copy and threw away the packaging, then this is pretty much done.

EDIT: Supposedly, if you install the same edition of Windows, eventually it may activate itself because Microsoft's activation servers basically fingerprinted your computer and it may figure out the same one isn't activated, but was with a valid license previously. You can still install Windows without a key.

See the post by neilpzz in https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...-in-bios/49d8df6c-1e86-4a83-a5d8-788ffc173726

Apr 8, 2023
There's really no way to recover a lost Windows key on a DIY built computer because it's only saved within the Windows install. If you bought a physical copy and threw away the packaging, then this is pretty much done.

EDIT: Supposedly, if you install the same edition of Windows, eventually it may activate itself because Microsoft's activation servers basically fingerprinted your computer and it may figure out the same one isn't activated, but was with a valid license previously. You can still install Windows without a key.

See the post by neilpzz in https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...-in-bios/49d8df6c-1e86-4a83-a5d8-788ffc173726

HI hotaru.hino, thank you for sharing, but I don't mean the Windows key. the issue I have is the serial number of my device.

DSzymborski

Titan
I formatted my device, but after doing the format, I could not know the serial number of my device. I searched in the CMD and wrote (wmic bios get serialnumber) to find out the serial number, so the system told me (Default string) I did a lot of commands and got the same result and I went to the motherboard bios to look for the serial number, but I couldn't find it.

because I want to add my device to my Microsoft account. and they didn't help me. by the way, my PC is DIY

Thanking you in anticipation.

Regards,

Fahad

To what end? Systems you build yourself don't have serial numbers as a single cohesive system and it doesn't matter for a Microsoft account.

I feel like there's a lot more to this story that you're not sharing. It's hard to solve a mystery when you ask the detectives to start in the middle of it and there are missing facts.

Apr 8, 2023
To what end? Systems you build yourself don't have serial numbers as a single cohesive system and it doesn't matter for a Microsoft account.

I feel like there's a lot more to this story that you're not sharing. It's hard to solve a mystery when you ask the detectives to start in the middle of it and there are missing facts.

I want to control my device remotely. and before I formatted my device there was a serial number on it and I could control my device remotely.

Apr 8, 2023
You don't need the "serial number" for that.

All of my DIY systems are visible in my MS account.
You don't need the "serial number" for that.

All of my DIY systems are visible in my MS account.

But Microsoft is required it

fa704e3d8862bd8231a7678db24107fa.jpg

This is only for Microsoft devices. If you expand the "Help me find my serial number", it only lists Microsoft devices like Xbox, Surface, etc. Even if you entered something that may resemble a "serial number", you'd get this:

dcsQWa2.png

If you want to link your computer to your Microsoft account, you have to log into it with one, then activate Windows with it.

DSzymborski

Titan

All my Windows devices in use are associated with my Microsoft account. The three laptops have serial numbers because they come from companies (Dell, Dell/Alienware, and Lenovo) that use proprietary serial numbers to identify their own parts. The five desktops, all of which are prebuilt, have no serial numbers. All eight of these devices are equally functioning in Microsoft.

This isn't a Surface, XBox, or related accessory. So learn "how to use it with Microsoft account."

Apr 8, 2023
All my Windows devices in use are associated with my Microsoft account. The three laptops have serial numbers because they come from companies (Dell, Dell/Alienware, and Lenovo) that use proprietary serial numbers to identify their own parts. The five desktops, all of which are prebuilt, have no serial numbers. All eight of these devices are equally functioning in Microsoft.

This isn't a Surface, XBox, or related accessory. So learn "how to use it with Microsoft account."

As I said in the previous question. My computer had a serial number on it but after formatting it the serial number was gone. I contacted the motherboard manufacturer and they replied to me with this message:

Hi Sir,

It's normal, Serial Number would not be injected into your MB, it need to use special tool.

But kindly know we do not provide the tool for Serial Number injection to end-user.

Regards,
Gigabyte Team

Does anyone have any information about the tool he's talking about?

DSzymborski

Titan
As I said in the previous question. My computer had a serial number on it but after formatting it the serial number was gone. I contacted the motherboard manufacturer and they replied to me with this message:

Your motherboard has a serial number. That is not the computer's serial number. And you literally posted a screen to enter the serial of a Microsoft-specific device such as a Surface or an Xbox. Which has absolutely nothing to do with the question you made.

Either there's a language barrier or you're miles away from actually understanding what you want, need, or have to accomplish your goal. In either case, there's not much I can really do for you, other than wish you the best of luck in solving your problem.

Apr 8, 2023
Your motherboard has a serial number. That is not the computer's serial number. And you literally posted a screen to enter the serial of a Microsoft-specific device such as a Surface or an Xbox. Which has absolutely nothing to do with the question you made.

Either there's a language barrier or you're miles away from actually understanding what you want, need, or have to accomplish your goal. In either case, there's not much I can really do for you, other than wish you the best of luck in solving your problem.

I don't think you have enough background on this subject. and because you did not know the problem from the beginning, the serial number of the system is taken from the motherboard if your device is PCDIY. The company knew what I wanted and you didn't know. anyway, thanks for your participation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS