Question Device wont connect to wifi extender but will if I change the default gateway in the DHCP

Status
Not open for further replies.

computerwonder

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2012
Hi all got a strange problem and its honestly doing my head in. Ive bought a TP Link re220 just to boost the signal upstairs. Works fine and devices can connect to it. However a certain device will not connect to the extender however it will connect to the router just fine, will also connect to other routers and hotspots in different locations. Ive found a work around and im wondering if someone may know the solution to what may be happening

Logged into the TP link and the default gateway and DNS setting in my DHCP Settings was set at 192.168.0.254 however if I changed both these to 192.168.0.1 all my other devices still connect and the device that would not connect now will. Little bit confused as to why this worked so hoping someone with some knowledge could explain it and maybe this is only a partial fix

Unsure if im missing something, confused why I have to change certain settings when it works fine with other devices

computerwonder

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2012
It sounds like DHCP is still enabled on the TP Link and it's handing out the wrong information. Only 1 DHCP server should be enabled on the network.
Many thanks for the reply DHCP is enabled on the TP LINK however if I turn it off it still won’t connect. Just find it strange how most of my devices will connect with no issues bar my Steamdeck. I can only get it to connect by changing gateway and dns in the dchp to 192.168.0.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS