Devices changed ( cpu or memory) or cmos have been cleared. Please enter setup to configure your system.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

fahd.grad

Reputable
Nov 3, 2018
I just have finished building my new gaming pc with an msg b350 motherboard, ryzen 5 1600x, Gskill ddr4 series 3200 MHz ram, Smith Radeon armour 8gb graphics card. The first time i set it up everything was ok and it showed my cpu and ram. But now it onl shows the message “Devices changed ( cpu or memory) or cmos have been cleared. Please enter setup to configure your system.”
Press f1 to run setup
Press f2 to load default values and continue.
When i pres f1 or f2 nothing happens.?
Am using a wireless Bluetooth i have tested it with my iPad and it works fine.

Could it be the keyboard not connecting properly coz it’s Bluetooth and i haven’t set it up or am i looking at bigger problem. I need to know wats wrong so that i can return any items if they are faulty as i bought everything new.

Can you please help me here.

Thanx

Solution
I would go with the best micro ATX board Asrock B450M Pro4

Since you prefer ATX, I would go with the MSI B450 Tomahawk and the 2nd option the ASRock B450 PRO4
The MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon if you could get it for 100 or less.

fahd.grad

Reputable
Nov 3, 2018
Thanx for ur input..
I have ordered the Asrock fatality b450 gaming k4 for 90 pounds from amazon after I got the refund from the shitty msi tomahawk.
I hope I have a better experience with asrock.
Question.
Is it better to hook the case fans to the motherboard or direct to psu?
I hook them up direct to psu to free up space on mobo

fahd.grad

Reputable
Nov 3, 2018
I have got 3 fans in my case, 1 output and 2 inputs. My cooler master comes with 2 fans on it plus the GPu has 2 fans on it.
I got one more space for fan output do I need to buy an extra fan output to go on top of my case?

If you want to be able to control fan speed depending on temperature, then you should connect fans to the motherboard.
If you connect the fans to the PSU, they will run full speed at all times

There will be no difference in picture quality between HDMI 2.0 and 1.4. on a old TV and many most new ones.

You could move the exhaust fan to the top or wait until everything is working and see if you really need more fans.

fahd.grad

Reputable
Nov 3, 2018
I received my new asrock fatality gaming k4 today from amazon and started building everything from scratch.
Steps,
1. Installed the cpu and made sure the triangles line up after consulting the manuals, installed the cooler, GPu and two ram sticks switched on the PSu and no post.
2. Tried booting without the gpu and still no sound or picture.
3. Tried running it with just one memory stick, but still no post sound or picture.
4. Tried the memory stick in different slots each time still no post.
5. Tried the bare min with just cpu and cooler still no post sound or pict or beeps. I know I shud get a beep coz no memory installed.
6. B4 u say anything I have built pc b4 I know the dos and dons, I kept discharging my self from the psu every few mins. I built on wood floor and wooden table.
7. The cpu, ram and gpu are not faulty coz they worked fine in my previous msi mobo and they have been handled and stored properly in there packaging.
8. Checked the cpu pins and they are fine, I always handle the cpu from the edges never touch the pins.
9. I have noticed something, when I switch the psu on the motherboard lights up, there’s a light under the asrock heat sink and it keeps flashing red b4 and after I boot the computer, surely it’s telling something is wrong.
10. B4 u say anything the psu is connected correctly to the mobo.
11. At lease with the msi mobo I got a successful post and windows was loading fine.
12. I was listening to 50 cent, wiz Khalifa, dr dre and snoop whilst building.
13. I tried resetting the cmos still the same no luck.
14. I heard something about amd supplying cpu to get a successful boot, I don’t know.
15. Surely the mobo is faulty can’t think of anything else.
Can you please help me on a mobo that is trouble free and would recognised cpu and ram before I burn everything on this 800 pound build. It has to be atx no minis or micros. I prefer ASUs.

fahd.grad

Reputable
Nov 3, 2018
Update.
I tried to run the system again and walla successful post. It turned out to be a faulty hdmi cable.
So I installed everything in the case and booted up everything was fine.
I installed a fresh copy of windows 120 home 64bit, I ran into a few issues such as unable to install windows on gpt drive ect but I managed to fix.
so I installed all drivers ect and everything is running fine.
Problem.
the ram speed is set to 2134mhz ands my ram supports 3200mhz.
so I went into bios and tried to load xmp profile which is set to 3200mhz, when the computer reboots windows doesn't start and I get the windows error failed to boot msg.
so when I change back to default setting i.e 2134mhz windows boots up fine with no problem.
Can you advise me on overclocking please.
I tried going on youtube some1 tried to do the same thing and it worked fine, but with me windows goes into error.
Can any1 explain to me whats going o, is it a mobo fault coz I have a month to return the item to amazon

fahd.grad

Reputable
Nov 3, 2018
Another thing is that when I was installing the mountings for my cooler master212 led turbo I broke one of the mounting screws so the cooler is supported by three mounts instead of four. I’d this a problem worth rectifying ? If so where can get the screw mounts from?

Wow, you have gone to a lot building that PC
Your motherboard appears to be fine.
When the ASRock motherboard goes thru the first boot it could take a while (up to 7 minutes) for it to POST and sometimes it reboot itself several times. That might make it look like there is something wrong but it is normal. That could be even longer if the RAM is not listed in the compatibility list (QVL).
Some TV models might show a blank screen because it cannot establish a handshake, so disabling Full HD UEFI in the BIOS usually solve that issue.

2400MHz is the standard specified DDR4 speed by JEDEC, anything above is considered overclocked RAM.
Even though your RAM modules support 3200MHz speed, it might not reach that speed if it was not tested to run at that speed on that motherboard.
Bump the speed gradually to see the maximum stable speed of that RAM on your motherboard...start with 2400MHz, then 2666MHz, 2933MHz and 3000MHz...booting into Windows after each increase and checking for stability.
Also check for BIOS updates, which could add compatibility with more RAM modules.

Check your temperatures since 3 contacts might not be enough to provide pressure to the CPU and transfer heat to the cooler properly.
You could contact CM or get spare parts from their website >>here<<

fahd.grad

Reputable
Nov 3, 2018
I have been running my computer for over 2 hrs now and here are the temp:
cpu temp = 57c
m/b temp = 28c
vrm temp =29c
I have contacyed cooler master for spare screws awaiting their reply, I just hate dismantling everything again.

I have been running the ram speed at 2800mhz so far no problem without tweeking the voltage and timming.
I have been told to change the voltage to 1.35v and change the timming to achieve the 3200mhz, what do you think I shall do there?????

fahd.grad

Reputable
Nov 3, 2018
another thing'
my gpu msi amd radeon rx 580 8gb armor 8g oc graphics card when I first installed it I thought that the fans have red led light up but no theres no light!!!!!!
I don't know if am paranoid but how can I find out if it has fans red led or not coz right now they not lighting up, I need to know coz if they are faulty I can still return it and get exchanged item am still under 1 month I bought it on 25/10.

If those are idle temperatures they are a little high.

Have you tried taking the RAM to higher speeds, maybe 2933MHz or 3000MHz without making any changes?
Which BIOS version do you have? BIOS updates might include compatibility with more RAM models and higher speeds.
You could try setting voltage and timings manually but you might not see a difference in performance.

When I got the ASRock AB350 Pro4, the Corsair Vengeance 16GB 3200MHz would not run above 2400MHz. After each BIOS update I was able to set a higher speed and now it runs at 2933MH automatically or 3200MHz manually.
I cannot see a difference in performance between 2933MHz and 3200MHz.
My RAM, like yours, is not listed on the ASRock Memory QVL (Qualify Vendor List).

fahd.grad

Reputable
Nov 3, 2018
those temp where taken after 2 hrs of heavy web surfing with about ten pages open.
what temp are considered reasonable??????or idle temp??????
if they are high what is the problem how can lower them.??????

heres what g.skill tech support said:
Dear Customer,

Due to the Ryzen platform being a new and different architecture, in terms of memory compatibility, other memory series may not provide the same level of compatibility as our “For AMD” series memory, which includes the FORTIS series, Flare X series and the Trident Z RGB (For AMD) series.

In any case, we can try to see if we can get your system working at higher frequency. Please first make sure ASRock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming K4 motherboard BIOS is updated to version 1.50 (current latest), then follow the steps below to clear CMOS before booting.

1. Shut down the computer and disconnect the power cord connected to the motherboard.

2. Wait for 10 seconds.

3. Remove the round lithium battery (CMOS battery) for additional 30 seconds while the power cord is disconnected.

4. Reinstall F4-3200C16D-8GVKB memory kit to DDR4_A2 and DDR4_B2 DIMM slots (make sure the modules are properly clicked in)

5. Enable XMP and try the following frequency

a. DDR4-3200MHz

b. DDR4-2933MHz

c. DDR4-2800MHz

d. DDR4-2666MHz

6. Save changes and exit (F10)

Please make no other changes in BIOS, and make sure CPU is not overclocked when testing the memory kit.

Kindly let us know the test results, and we will see if there are alternative solutions.

Websurfing does not place any stress on your system. It will just use RAM.

G.Skill support haven't said anything new, since I already have said that in similar words.

They told you to try different speeds because that RAM has not been tested with the AMD platform.

They also listed the G.Skill RAM compatible with the AMD AM4 platform (FORTIS, Flare X and Trident Z series)...pretty much letting you know that the model you have chosen is not in the QVL list.

Just make sure to never reset the motherboard right after updating the BIOS. Make sure to go into Windows, reboot the computer then BIOS can be reset.

fahd.grad

Reputable
Nov 3, 2018
gpu jammed problem.
I reseted the bios today and replaced the ram sticks as I was instructed by g.skill. I used xmp profile at 3200mhz but system kept crashing until I got to 2993mhz and its running fine so far.
whilst I was doing that I have noticed that my gpu fans are not turning but am still getting video output, so I restarted the computer and the fans started turning for a few seconds and stopped. so I thought that I should reinstall the gpu card see if it helps. when I tried taking out the gpu card I noticed that its stuck I tried pushing the plastic leaver to release but the leaver wouldn't move it seems to be jammed, I tired applying a reasonable force but still jammed I didn't wanna push it too much incase it brakes my gpu. I have ordered new mountings for the cooler and they are on the way, but I need to remove the gpu and everything else to fix the cooler mountings but I can't get the gpu to come out.
What shall I do???????????????
take it to professional technicians see if they can remove the gpu?????????

internet problem:
I have ran broadband speed checker ona number of propherals using the same wireless router that I have to eliminate router network problem.

Broadband speed test

iPad wireless

Download 23.09

Upload 8.94

Ping 184ms

Ps4 wireless

Download 22.80

Upload 8.48

Ping 196ms

Ps4 wired

Download 37.15

Upload 7.10

Ping 406ms

Smart tv wireless

Download 18.26

Upload 0.72

Ping 446ms

Pc wired

Download 1.35

Upload 0.08

Ping 1096

Pc wireless

Download 8.80

Upload 0.32

Ping 707

looking at this data tells me that the issue is with my pc and not the broadband.

First, you won't see any difference in your system speed beteen 2993MHz and 3200mhz...it is only 207MHz difference.
You should be content that you were able to get it to 2993MHz.
Changing the motherboard does not guaranteed you RAM will run at 3200MHz.
Your RAM has not been tested with the AMD AM4 platform and that's why you are having the issues you encountered.
As a stated form the beginning, should have selected a motherboard then a RAM model compatible with it.

That is completely normal.
The GPU fans will start and spin-up to cool down the GPU when required. The fans will spin-down and stop when temperatures are low.

You should first try pushing down the butterfly lock on the PCI-e slot and then lifting the GPU. It should slide off easily.
Watch this video . If after watching the video you are not able to remove it, then I suggest you allow someone with better expertise to remove it.
I do hope you don't break the GPU or motherboard PCIe slot.

Your ping is very high across all your devices. I usually get from 6-9ms ping.
Restart the router and modem.

Have you install any apps that could interfere with the internet like antivirus or speed manager?

Use another Ethernet cable and see if the wired speed improves.

fahd.grad

Reputable
Nov 3, 2018
update on problems:

Ram problem: I have tried to load xmp 2.0 profile and tried these freq 3200,3100,3000,2993 and 2800, they all crashed except of the 2800 however when I play call f duty for more than an hour it crashes too. I have selected 2663 for now so far no issues I guess I will have to byte the bullet and stick with this freq.

GPU problem: the fans are working fine as I have discovered that they are on automatic setting which means they will only come on when hot. the reason they came on when I first installed is coz the driver and utility were not installed, the utility allows you to select fans settings such as automatic fixed and custom. when I select fixed the fans turn on constantly. I currently have them one automatic but if you suggest otherwise please let me know. As I will be gaming a lot on the pc.
The graphic card lock was jammed I haven't tried it since the las t time, I was thinking of using a screw driver and hammer gently to release the gpu. I don't know why its jammed coz I was careful when I installed it and made sure that I released the lock b4 I slotted the card in. I guess I will have to dismantle and leave the gpu installed on the mobo, its an expensive card and I don't wanna **** it up.

cpu mountings: I have order new mountings and they will take from 1-2 weeks to arrive, I noticed that the cpu temp stay at 60c even when gaming for a few hours.

Internet problem: I have contacted my isp to solve the problem, they ran diagnostics on the internet line and server everything seemed to be ok, however they noticed high interference on 2.5g frequency in my house and my modem is too old and needs a replacement. I upgraded my tarrif to 60mbps download and will be getting new modem.
I have changed the frequency channels on the modem from 1 to 7 apparently this helps with interference, I noticed that my internet speed improved just a little bit got a few more mbps.
I also ordered a new wifi dual band card so I can run 5 ghz frequency as it has much less interference as I was told by isp technician.
When I get the new modem and wifi card I will let you know what happens. I have updated all drivers to the latest.

fahd.grad

Reputable
Nov 3, 2018
Internet problem solved.
This how i solved the internet problem:
1. connect to your router with other devices and check the internet speed by going to www.speedtest.net, if your connection is fast then you have eliminated network and router issues.
2. Connect your pc to the router by wired and wireless connection and test the speed, if the speed is slow on both connections then you have a software or hardware issue with your pc.
3. Update your network driver, if the problem is still there then you could have a win or software issue with your pc.
4. install a fresh copy of win 10 from microsoft website which has the latest version 1809 (to find version type winver in command prompt).
5. Once you have installed a fresh copy of windows check your speed connection both wired and wirelessly, if your wired connection is faster then your wireless connection then you have a shit wifi card and should buy a dual channel wifi card that support both 2.4 and 5 ghz.
6. Don't any install any drivers yet until you have a fast connection both wired and wirelessly.
6. Once you have established a fast connection then create a restore point on windows.
7. Install the driver one by one and after each installation check your speed, some drivers and software can slow down your network.
8. If your network speed goes down then u know that the driver you installed is the problem, you can reinstall the driver or use the restore point.
9. Find a better driver from the manufacturers website to use instead.
10. After you installed all your drivers and software then create another restore point incase something goes wrong in the future you can always go back.
11. Try to connect to the 5.0 ghz network on your wifi as it has better speeds however sometimes 2.4ghz works better in some cases depending on your house and interference see which is best.
12. If you install a new copy of windows and the problem is still there then you might have a bad network card hardware.

fahd.grad

Reputable
Nov 3, 2018
jojesa I see from your title that you have ryzen 5 1600 plus 3200mhz ram did you face any issues with your ram, I have contacted asrock and they advised me to return the ram as its faulty I have logged an rma with the retailer.

The RAM is not faulty, it just isn't fully compatible with Ryzen. Your RAM like mine was optimized for Intel platform.
Just like you I bought RAM not listed on the QVL and it runs at 2933MHz instead of 3200MHz. I encountered the same issues you are having and I posted above...here is the message.