[SOLVED] Devices don't connect to switch when going through walls and basement

maxtechniche

Reputable
May 10, 2018
www.youtube.com
We have a POE network dish that is mounted outside pointing to our ISP tower, therefore, we have a POE injector for that.
There's an older style network patch/punch-down panel in the basement. Ethernet wires used to be connected to something down there (I'm assuming this patch panel.)
I've connected the cables, that are routed through the house, to the patch panel and also made cables to connect from the patch panel.
There are a total of 8 cables that run through the house into 4 rooms + the cable that leads up to the POE network dish.
I'm getting readings on all the cable ends (at least I'm pretty sure I am).
I have an ASUS AC68U set up in our living room which has 2 RJ45 connections in the wall. I hook up one of the connections to the WAN port with the POE injector, and one to a LAN port on the Router.

1st Problem:
When I hook up the POE injector downstairs, I don't get an internet connection to the router.

Now, luckily for now I have only one device that requires a wired connection; a desktop computer in the master bedroom.
When I have it in the following wiring configuration, it's able to connect to the router/internet:
Desktop - wall connection - basement patch panel - coupler - basement patch panel - wall connection - router LAN

2nd Problem:
If I try to switch out the middle coupler with a switch, I don't get a connection. In fact, any cable I plug into the switch is not recognized.

When I plug the switch in anywhere else, the desktop is be able to connect to the router. (The switch works)

The wires that are run through the house are a bit older.
I'm thinking it could do something with how cables are terminated.
When I was checking with a basic cable tester, I didn't get any reading when connecting from one port in one room to the basement patch panel, but I did get a "correct" reading when I used a short ethernet cable connecting both the ports in one of the rooms, then testing the ends in the basement. The thing is, wouldn't I still get some type of reading on the tester if it was terminated a different way?

Somebody please explain what is going on.

Edit: I've verified that all cables and jacks are T526B terminated.
I've also tested making a crossover cable and adding that to the mix, but that isn't doing anything either.

Last edited:
Wiring in the wall is one of those things that us on the forum can only provide minor direction, all the work is on you to look at wires and figure out where they go and how they are connected.

PoE will not run through your switch but it would run through the patch panel. Since many forms of PoE are proprietary unless there is some reason I would leave the injector as close to the cable going outside as you can. The connection back to the router should be standard and have no issue running on the patch panel.

I am not sure where to start. In general if you plug a tester into both end you should get some lights. You would need a cable toner to find which cable comes from each room and then use the cable tester to see if the wires were correct.

The problem with cheap testers, ie ones that don't cost $1000, is they can't tell you if you really have them wired correctly. You could for example put the orange wire in pin1 on both end and the brown wire in pin 2 on both ends and the test would tell you everything was fine except you have the wire pairs wrong.
You have to check the wire colors youself. The tester just verifies that you crimped the ends on or punched down the wires correctly. It can only find errors in wiring if you were to wire the 2 end different but it can't detect if you wire both end wrong the same way.

maxtechniche

Reputable
May 10, 2018
www.youtube.com
Figured it out...
Edit: I've verified that all cables and jacks are T526B terminated.

The problem:
Wall jack terminated with standard B, and I terminated the other end with a male RJ45 connecter using standard B.
Or so I thought...
So when a regular ethernet cable is plugged into one end, the signal on the cable was sent in reverse meaning signal sent on wire 1 from one device was received on wire 8 on the other.

The cable termination kit I have displays the standards in reverse order and I'm not professionally trained for networking.

The fix:
I terminated the other end of the wire in reverse. So, the correct B standard.

A issue many people have is the standard is set looking at the plug from the top..ie the side without the clip/tab. Some rj45 ends are easier to see the wires when you have them upside down so it is easy to make a mistake when you don't do it a lot.

Wall keystone jacks are much easier for a beginner because you can do 1 wire at a time and they most times have color chart on the jack so you can match the wires. Of course keystone really are best used in permanent in wall installs.