devolo dLAN 500 slow connection

Catz121

Prominent
Apr 17, 2017
Hello recently I purchased the devolo dLAN 500 duo bundle and I set them up last night the speeds were surprisingly over what I expected to get from them at around 70-65mbps which is perfect for me but over night it seemed to have slowed down for no reason whatsoever to 20mbps and I decided to use the remote program to factory reset them and I'm back at the original speeds but I feel like this will be a reoccurring thing, I'm curious if there is anyway to prevent from this happening?

These are also the settings in the program if it helps
5I4G7g0.png

Nj1cwBC.png

Solution
Powerline networking works by sending high frequency radio waves over your house wires. The speed at which they can communicate is determined by the strength of the signal they get (just like WiFi). The things that limit signal strength are distance and interference (noise). I'm guessing overnight you turned on or plugged in something "noisy" and the Devolo had to slow the communication rate to maintain a reliable signal. Once the "noisy" device is unplugged or switched off, speeds should increase again (though it may take time ... the Devolo is continuously monitoring and adjusting speed, but these devices tend to slow down aggressively and speed up cautiously).

Things people have noted as adding noise to the power lines ... some...
Powerline networking works by sending high frequency radio waves over your house wires. The speed at which they can communicate is determined by the strength of the signal they get (just like WiFi). The things that limit signal strength are distance and interference (noise). I'm guessing overnight you turned on or plugged in something "noisy" and the Devolo had to slow the communication rate to maintain a reliable signal. Once the "noisy" device is unplugged or switched off, speeds should increase again (though it may take time ... the Devolo is continuously monitoring and adjusting speed, but these devices tend to slow down aggressively and speed up cautiously).

Things people have noted as adding noise to the power lines ... some LED lights (especially the dimable ones), plasma TVs, some cell phone chargers ... mostly electronics that convert AC to DC. Some people have found that putting these noisy devices on a surge protecting power strip reduces the noise.

Solution