Question Devolo Magic 2 2400Mbs connection problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

psom.giannis

Prominent
Nov 3, 2017
I recently got a multiroom devolo Magic 2 powerline adapter to power up my 100/10 connection.

Ever since I got it, whenever I plug it in(all 3 powerlines), it works super slow (2down/1up) for a few minutes when I am using the computer and then it drops the internet connection for my whole router. As soon as I remove the powerline adapter (only from the router side), the internet comes back to the router immediately.

Few things to keep in mind:

- I have been using a Tp link p4010 kit before on the same outlets and it didn't have any problems.

- There are no power hungry appliances near it.

- The powerline adapters are connected directly to the outlet.

- The router and the modem are connected to the same power outlet.

- Lastly, as I mentioned before, as soon as I remove the powerline and reconnect the adapter from my router side alone, everything is working again.

- Performance from router Ethernet is the same as the powerlines as long as they are connected (2-10 down/ 1 up)
++ I did RMA for the the same devolo Magic 2 multiroom kit , as I thought the powerlines was faulty , but the same problems occur.

I know it might be a bit too much information. But I wanted to be as useful as possible to whoever is trying to help me. And also this is very puzzling to me... Thank you ahead of time to whoever postsanything in response.

psom.giannis

Prominent
Nov 3, 2017
Thanks for your answer.
Unfortunately I can't return the for money, just for replacement!
Is there a setting to set to fix this issue. My connection is VDSL 100/10 Vectoring by Vodafone.

May 31, 2019
I recently got a multiroom devolo Magic 2 powerline adapter to power up my 100/10 connection.

Ever since I got it, whenever I plug it in(all 3 powerlines), it works super slow (2down/1up) for a few minutes when I am using the computer and then it drops the internet connection for my whole router. As soon as I remove the powerline adapter (only from the router side), the internet comes back to the router immediately.

Few things to keep in mind:

- I have been using a Tp link p4010 kit before on the same outlets and it didn't have any problems.

- There are no power hungry appliances near it.

- The powerline adapters are connected directly to the outlet.

- The router and the modem are connected to the same power outlet.

- Lastly, as I mentioned before, as soon as I remove the powerline and reconnect the adapter from my router side alone, everything is working again.

- Performance from router Ethernet is the same as the powerlines as long as they are connected (2-10 down/ 1 up)
++ I did RMA for the the same devolo Magic 2 multiroom kit , as I thought the powerlines was faulty , but the same problems occur.

I know it might be a bit too much information. But I wanted to be as useful as possible to whoever is trying to help me. And also this is very puzzling to me... Thank you ahead of time to whoever postsanything in response.

Hello,

I know this question is a couple of months old, but as I have jut come across it and use I the same kit, I thought I'd add a reply.

As I mentioned, I use devolo Magic 2 kit as well. I have a star layout, with a base unit (magic 2 LAN 1-1) connected to my switch, and 5 end-points connected to the base. The end-points are a mix of Magic 2 LAN 1-1 and Magic 2 WiFi 2-1 devices. I bought the kit about 10 days ago.

I also have some stability issues, and found the setup process difficult, but I think I have now got it stabilised (famous last words ...).

As you have mentioned that you use Vodafone with VDSL, I would recommend that you look do two things, if you haven't already ...

1. Update to the latest firmware. At the time of writing this was "magic_2_lan 7.8.2.17" for the LAN adapters and "5.2.1 2019-02-19" fop the LAN / WiFi adapters. These firmwares enable a new feature called "Compatability Mode".

2. Go to the web configuration pages for each of your Magic 2 devices, and select the "PLC" page. On this page, you should find the new "Compatibility" settings. Here you will find two options, a "MIMO/SISO" option to control whether the devices use faster Multi-In-Multi-Out or slower Single-In-Single-Out, and a control specifically for users who have VDSL. This is the option I suggest you try.

Hope this helps.

Apr 26, 2022
This is all very sad
After many months of observation and experimentation I got to the following conclusions:

magic2 starter kit is a disfunctional piece of crap

when you have only 2 adapters- they are trying to establish the highest connection speed possible (2,4 Gbs)
And feels like that the Lan 1-1 adapter- just don’t have good enough cooling for its processor. So being forced to work at full load- it gets overheated (>100* C) and some thermal throttling kicks in, or even pure restart. Short after new start (while processed gets cooled down) it establishes a new high- speed connection and another restart loop follows approx 20-30 seconds later

but IF you are adding another 1-2 adapters to the network- the maximum speed can not be reached anymore. So the 1-1 has to negotiate a much lower „maximum possible“ speed with all the MIMO devices connected. Thus lowering the load to the processor. It still stays pretty damn hot, but below the threshold or restart limit

the worst pet is that there is no limiter available in the firmware management interface where we could set the maximum connection speed. It is all (not)working automagically

i was experimenting a lot with my set up.
And the current „star“ of 4 adapters has been rock solid since almost 6 months.
So the only advice- just add one more adapter if you have only 2 even if you don’t need it really (e.g additional wifi hotspot in the far end of the apartment)
Starter kit with Lan1-1 not designed to work stable…(

Status
Not open for further replies.