Devs Respond to Steam Exploitation Claim

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
I agree that giving solitary control to any single company or entity is a bad idea. However, there are always costs involved with distributing a game. Maybe they look at the prices Sony and Microsoft charge for their XBox Live and Playstation Home services, and just think Steam should lower their prices? If the developers think Steam is too expensive, they can try the old fashioned way of cardboard boxes and brick-and-mortar stores. Or maybe they should band together and create their own game download service?

No one is forcing game producers to use Steam, and as John Gibson explained in his comments, not everyone thinks Steam is bad for producers. I know I've bought plenty of games on Steam's weekend deals that I had never even heard of before. Any sale has to be better than no sale, right?

ram1009

Distinguished
As near as I can tell Steam charges the same or less than the same game bought from local vendors in a box. You can play your games from any computer but only one computer at a time. They do take a little time to download but so what. What's not to like?

fuzmorten

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2006
Since I have had a Steam account I have had noting from them in the way of service or the ability to use their service. In over a year I have had only one instance of being able to connect and that was thru another connection not my home ...their only customer service is to tell you to disable and remove all antivirus /anti spam applications and run naked ...they have SORRY service and don't care to fix problems with their software!

sailfish

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2007
Steam prevents me from easily giving my game away to someone else after I'm through playing it. This is a significant feature loss and, as so, they should either be charging significantly less for the games or offer to buy back my game after I'm finished with it.

The fact that I can play the game on any piece of hardware, anywhere, is kind of a joke considering how large they are and the time it takes to download them. And, since the size of games are only going to get increasingly larger as content balloons with larger cut scenes and higher resolution maps, soon this won't even be a viable option at all.

toxxel

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
Compared Ign's Direct2drive and Steam, prices, deals, distribution. I myself use Steam but I do hate the client my only problem it can be a resource hog. Steam isn't the only company that offers online purchasable games but maybe they are the most popular.

bertschkid

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2009
Yeah, defiantly a problem on your end fuzmorten.

I have been using Steam since 2004 and have never had any major issues besides a few minor ones with CoD4.

The line "In over a year I have had only one instance of being able to connect and that was thru another connection not my home" goes to show it is probably a problem on your end. Make sure all the correct ports are open on your router and make sure your software firewall, if any, is not blocking the Steam connection.

LATTEH

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2008
its hard for my to find PC games at store i buy most of my games on steam because i dont have to worry about losing my CD i can just Redownload the game if my house burns down or theres a flood :D also they have awesome prices!

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
Even though I own a copy of the Orange Box and think HL2 is probably the best straight shooter game, ever, I don't approve of requiring me to activate a game online to play it off-line, DRM. I also will not download other games through their service.
I like to have my boxed product and a disk on my shelf.
Steam is not a bad experience though and is the best of it's kind. I did experience MS and their copycat of Steam called Games for Windows Live (GFWL), talk about a piece of shit. Never again will I use that service and I uninstalled GFWL off my machine as soon as I used up my points on Fallout 3 expansions.

Ryric

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2009
Steams largest problem has been its incompatability with standard distribution versions (retail) and patches creating a backlog and delay in the release of content and patches on Steam while the retail copies are functioning and patched.

Additionally Steam's often slow response to changing prices and the market leave games people would otherwise purchase at uncompetitive prices which is sad. It does take some system resources but on a multicore machine that is likely not a real issue today.

I don't like DRM, I don't like online activation and I don't like propreitary software that is often little more then bloatware. But if I have to suffer those evils, Steam makes it as easy of process as possible, plus it doesn't impose ridiculous download expirations of software I paid for like EA Link and others.

I will say that IGN direct2drive gets more of my money via direct downloads however, better deals...

soo-nah-mee

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
[citation][nom]ryanegeiger[/nom]Steam has caused me to legitimately purchase many games I would have otherwised... you know... not.[/citation]This well worded statement is so true for myself and many others, that I thought it should appear on here again!

CoryInJapan

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2008
I agree with a lot of people on here...There were game that if they were not on steam I would not have purchased at all...A lot of times when your forced to pirate a game because they dont sell it at any retail store's..steam carry's some of those games.I like steam a lot.

one-shot

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
I love the communication on Steam between friends. Sure, there is Xfire, but Steam has it built in already. Automatic software updates are also great. I hate patching games.

badaxe2

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
The only problem I have with Steam is the fact that it needs to be running in the background when I'm playing a game. Not a big deal but compared to D2D it could be a fault. But the fact that Steam is free and offers great deals on all game at any time (not just the bottom tier ones), has a great community, and automatic updates to all your games means it's doing a great job.

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
Love me some Steam! Even with my cruddy 1.5 mb/s DSL connection. $2.50 for Audiosurf? $7.50 for Plants vs. Zombies? $25 for Left for Dead? Yes please! If you're patient everything you want eventually is put on sale.

In order from most evil to least evil... Satan, Sony, Apple, Microsoft, Nintendo, Valve, Mother Teresa. Are we REALLY that worried about Valve?

the_krasno

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
Steam is a great service that takes little indie games to the spotlight, helping the genre a great deal. I have only one complain and it is that the games should be cheaper than their physical counterparts.

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
I don't like Steam and I avoid using it whenever I can. I'd take a physical copy over a digital copy any day. Plus, I don't like how Steam manages the games and the method that it installs them on my computer. And it's consistently laggy and a pain. The idea that it puts indie developers in the spotlight is bull. I'd rather download directly from a developer than mess with the Steam service. Steam isn't the beginning and end of the internet.

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
I've had numerous games that weren't fully quality tested before putting on-line. Far Cry 2, RFGW, Stalker, etc, and a few that didn't release in a timely fashon, but otherwise I love the service.

I've bought a bunch of games for $5-10 that I would normally have not even bothered looking for in stores (physical or virtual) and would have simply downloaded as I figured (most times correctly) that you couldn't buy them anywhere else.

Wow that was the worst sentence I've ever posted.

G

Wow... I became a member of steam after I went to three area brick and mortar shops to get left 4 dead, and NO ONE HAD IT... 3 MONTHS LATER! Actually, one store did have it. It was an opened display copy, being sold for brand new price. "Um, that was opened, don't I get a discount for it being an opened display copy?" *Chuckle* - "No, it's brand new" Ugh... gets me fired up just thinking about it.
Point is, it's been almost 10 months, and I have about 20 pc games now through steam. The only games I ever bought before then were BIG titles. I didn't play any other games (didn't pirate, didn't buy, too much of an investment on something I wasn't sure of).
Best Example: World of Goo. Steam had a sale, the game was $5, normally $20. I thought why not? Best decision ever. Opened me up to Indie games. More recently: Sword of the Stars. I had a copy of it on my computer, never bought it though, I couldn't get it anywhere. I was ecstatic when it showed up on steam, and dropped the cash for the master collection. I know the developer was excited, their sales skyrocketed because of Steam.

P.S. EA Download manager SUCKS! I HATE messing with it, and would ditch it if not for BF2142 and Spore

Kelavarus

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
Egh, Steam is annoying, especially lately. There's the, can't give games away after playing. There's the fact that you get no physical copy and it costs the same damn price as in the stores.

And also, why does my game take 5 minutes of pulling a constant ~30kb/s just to start? It doesn't happen all the time, but that it EVER happens is stupid and irritating. And lastly, it's REALLY FREAKING IRRITATING when I can't play MY LEGITIMATE games because THEIR server is out.

And yet, Impulse gets away without all that crap. I'm definitely going Impulse from now on.

Status
Not open for further replies.