DFI BIOS Options

emogoch

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2005
Hey Guys,

Been working with OCZ to trick out my RAM as much as possible, and I'm hitting a wall cause hte options available in my BIOS don't match what the OCZ guys expect. Wondering if you could help me figure out what's going on. You can see my post about it on their forums <A HREF="http://www.bleedinedge.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14291" target="_new">here</A>.

Specs are:
Athlon 64 X2 4200+
DFI LanParty UT nF4 SLI-D
2x512MB OCZ PC4000 Gold VX
BFG Tech 7800GTX OC
3 HDDs and a DVD+/-RW

As it stands now, I'm currently running what seems to be stable at FSB 227MHz, with my RAM sitting at 3.1V. Thanks

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by emogoch on 09/27/05 12:26 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

What BIOS version? What PSU? <---PSU is extremely important for good high-end OCs. What settings ahould you have that you can't find in the BIOS?

OCZ likes around 3.5 - 3.6V to get the max potential. What are the BIOS settings at right now? Have you isolated to find max OC for the specific CPU and mobo you're using?

BTW this should probably be in the OC forums...

<font color=orange>(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(")_(")your signature to help him gain world
domination. </font color=orange>

emogoch

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2005
Well, I tried using the BIOS that OCZ sent me, and I had different available options then they expected (eg. For CPU Special VID, I had 104, 110, and 113% options, they expected a 123% option). Hence why I'm asking people to look at the thread and see what they have.

As for the PSU, it's a 600W Enermax All-in-One NoiseTaker.

The largest problem that I'm having with this RAM is that when I take it up to 220MHz at a voltage of 3.3V (as is recommended), I'm getting errors in MemTest86 at address 00030adfXXX, but if I take the voltage down to 3.1V, I'm okay.

emogoch

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2005
When I swtiched back from the BIOS they watned me to use to DFI's supplied latest one, those options appeared up. So I set things according to how they wanted, and I still end up with the same error. Swapped the positions of the RAM, and accordingly, the location of the RAM errors also swtiched up. Looks like I will be RMA'ing one of these modules afterall.

YepYep...What program were you testing with?

Have you isolated the trouble stick by testing individually?

emogoch

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2005
Not yet. I've been fighting a cold for the past 3 days while trying to go to class and get work done. That is my next plan once I get home.

Should be easy to isolate. Let us know if you need/want any help.

emogoch

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2005
Grr....

Finally managed to get around to testing each module individually today, and they both had no problems running 233MHz @ 3.3V like they should (tested them in slot 2), but they second I tossed both the chips back in together, the error started popping up again. The only way I can get them to run error free is to run them at 3.1V or less. But that's not enough juice to get these guys up to the 250MHz level that I want :(

Now OCZ is saying that I should disable the 4V jumper on the board, as it can cause more heat, but I've got 2 120mm fans blowing across my RAM (antec P180 case with the exhaust fans inverted to intake), and the RAM is barely getting warm to the touch, never mind hot.