DFI NF4 SLI-DR BIOS/Boot Problem

djtech2k

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007
Ok. I came home today and discovered my computer off when I had left it on. We lost power and it shutoff. I tried to boot it up, but no video would ever come on. I had this issue suddenly when I to hard boot a few months ago and the only way I got it to work was to pull out the video card, start it up, shut it down, and then reinstall the card and bootup again. It was strange, but it happened for like a day and then it never came again.

Now as for today...

I thought maybe it was the same thing, so I did the same with no luck. I ended up pulling out everything except cpu and trying a boot while adding devices. NOTHING worked. So, I followed the book and reset the bios with the jumper. When I booted up, I got video. I booted to windows and it was ok. I told windows to shut down so I could setup my bios again. When windows shutdown it hung so I have to hit power button. Upon next boot, it would not come up again. It always has the 3 colid LED's and nothing else changes. Anyway, I reset it again. It booted again. I thoguht maybe my bios was corrupt. So I got the latest bios from DFI. I had the 4-6-2006 bios loaded, but I went ahead and loaded it again since it was latest. Anyway, I loaded it and ofcourse it reboots at the end and guess what....now no video again. So, I pulled out the cmos batter for about 5 minutes. I put it back in and it booted with video again after I pulled the power and replugged it.

This time I went into the bios and changed some basic values. I told it to save and exit, then the video never came back again.

What is going on? I had this board replaced around 3-6 months ago, so its fairly new. It seems that its ok until there is any kind of hard boot. When it hard boots, the diagnostic LED's lock and the video never starts. Everything else looks good. The cdroms open, all lights/fans, etc are on. Just no video signal. I have no speaker, so I cannot listen for beeps.

Any ideas? I am struggling here!!

Thanks.

djtech2k

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007
UPDATE:

I just replaced my cmos battery with a new one. I removed the old one for a few mins and put the new one in. It came up with video. I went into the bios and changed 1 option (logo display) and saved and exited. It came back with NO video again.

What is going on here?

djtech2k

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007
I have now enabled my onboard speaker. I read on some posts that they thought it was a problem if it were disabled.

Anyway, I enabled it, and reset everything. Some results. It comes up, but after any reboot it loses video.

I now hear the speaker though, which has this type of sound:

"beeeeeeep......pause.......beeeeep......pause......beeeep"

djtech2k

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007
OK. I have removed all memory and tested each DIMM. I have 4-512mb Dimms.

The orange slots are 2 and 4. I think those are the ones you need to use if you are going to put in 1 dimm for example. Anyway, I tried 1 dimm in slot 2. It boots fine every time with any of the 4 dimms in slot 2. SO, it cannot be my RAM correct? Now, so I tried to add more memory. At the end I found that I can out any 2 of the 4 dimms I have into slots 2 & 4 and it works fine. It comes back every time I reboot. If I try to add a dimm to slots 1, or 3, or both, I get the long beeps.

So what could be the problem? I pray to GOD its not a motherboard. I had this replaced a few months ago already. I HATE removing this thing and then waiting wees on a new one.

The only thing I can think of noteworthy is that I did change the jumper setting when I first got this board so that I could use the 3.3v on RAM. I cannot remember which or where it is, but I know u have to move a jumper in order for the bios to give you an option for the higher voltages. Again, its been this way since I got it.

HELP!!

djtech2k

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007
UPDATE:

As I mentioned before, I did that. It worked with ANY stick in slot 2. I then added a 2nd stick in slot 4. So I could out any 2 DIMMS in slot 2 & 4. That worked over and over.

Then, I tried to add the other DIMMS. If I put any DIMMS in the yellow slots, it would not get video it would hand with the 3 lights and long beeps.

So I thought that maybe the jumper for the 4v needed to moved back to the default position. So I had RAM in slots 2 & 4 and I moved the jumper back to default. It did not work. I removed 1 stick of RAM and it worked. So I then put the jumper back to the 4v setting (which is what it had been forever before this) and put the 2 DIMMS back in slots 2 & 4. It did not work. I then wiped the bios again and now when it tries to boot I get a single beep and it stops on the DFI logo. It will not go off of the DFI logo now, but it does get a single beep with 2 sticks again.

So now I need to find out why the yellow slots wont work, and now why it wont get past the DFI logo.

As of now I am trying the long clear again and leaving the battery out for a long time instead of a couple mins.