Question Problems with Intel DH55PJ board ?

Jun 26, 2024
I have:
  • Intel DH55PJ (socket 1156)
  • CPU: i3-540 3.07Ghz x64
  • RAM: Kingston 8Gb 1333Mhz (in each slot) DDR3 9-9-9-24 1.5v

1. Windows shows that I only have 3.19Gb RAM available. I tried changing msconfig, "boot", "advanced settings", but it doesn't help me.

2. It's not possible to install or upgrade win 8.1 32bit version to win 10 32bit or win 64bit
I tried to install both Win 10 x32bit and win10 64bit from USB, from an external CD-ROM, and install Windows itself on another hard drive, and install on another computer then connecting the hard drive to the computer, NOTHING helps. When trying to install from USB or external CD-ROM, the computer restarts after a while. When trying to install Windows itself on another hard drive, the installation doesn't continue after restarting.

Please help me someone...

Jun 26, 2024
I understand it. But it would be 1st computer for my kid. His games and software won't run normally. Of course, i could install VMware win10 64bit, but it will eat more resoures.

1. Windows shows that I only have 3.19Gb RAM available.
32bit windows doesn't support more than 4GB of ram.
Usually you're limited to <3.5GB.
I tried changing msconfig, "boot", "advanced settings", but it doesn't help me.
Obviously.
Msconfig has nothing to do with 4GB limit. It's 32bit OS limitation.
2. It's not possible to install or upgrade win 8.1 32bit version to win 10 32bit or win 64bit
Recreate windows installation media with latest version windows 10 media creation tool.
Make sure, you create 64bit windows install media.
8GB or larger USB flash drive is required.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

In case your motherboard doesn't support UEFI boot (board is rather old),
windows installation media might not be able to boot.
If it doesn't boot, then make ISO file with windows 10 media creation tool.
And use rufus, to create legacy install compatible windows 10 installation media.
Settings:
Partition scheme:MBR​
Target system: BIOS​
File System:NTFS​
DRsXb.png

Have only single drive connected, when installing windows.
Make sure sata controller is set to AHCI mode.
Disable fast boot and secure boot in BIOS.

Boot from windows installation media and install.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phillip Corcoran
Jun 26, 2024

SkyNetRising

That's exactly what I had tried except that the BIOS settings wasn't changed IDE to ACHI. I just tried to change these settings, but then the existing Win 8.1 does not load and the computer restarts.
My BIOS settings do not include:
- secure boot
- fast boot

include:
- UEFI
- Drive Configuration (IDE and ACHI)

When trying to install from USB or external CD-ROM, the computer restarts after a while. When trying to install Windows itself on another hard drive, the installation doesn't continue after restarting.
Okay so you removed the Windows 8.1 hard drive or at least unplugged it and your using a different hard drive to try to install a fresh copy of windows 10 on correct.

I have found with older motherboards installing Windows 10 is a learning curve.

When you get to where the " installation doesn't continue after restarting" there is a trick that you pull the USB or the Install DVD when it goes to restart while it's still rebooting. Don't worry the install will continue with out USB/DVD media as your hard drive at that point has what it needs to finish.

Windows does restarts many time while it's installing so get to know the correct restart your install gets stuck on and that's the one to try the trick on.

Last edited:
EDIT: your last post seems to be removed so that's why this post seems to not flow with the thread but still relevant.

Okay so that's different. Off the DVD do you ever get to any of the GUI for Windows 10 installer.

In bios is USB boot an option to set.

I don't know your motherboards "F" keys but DEL or "F1" usually gets you into bios and F9-F12 gets you to boot menu.

When you start computer with the USB installer plug in start mashing "F9" and if that does not bring up the boot menu shut down and try "F10" and so and so.

When and if you get to the boot menu choose to boot off the USB installer for Windows 10.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2024
Okay so you removed the Windows 8.1 hard drive or at least unplugged it and your using a different hard drive to try to install a fresh copy of windows 10 on correct.

I have found with older motherboards installing Windows 10 is a learning curve.

When you get to where the " installation doesn't continue after restarting" there is a trick that you pull the USB or the Install DVD when it goes to restart while it's still rebooting. Don't worry the install will continue with out USB/DVD media as your hard drive at that point has what it needs to finish.

Windows does restarts many time while it's installing so get to know the correct restart your install gets stuck on and that's the one to try the trick on.
Installing from DVD in windows gets stuck with a small bar flashing on the screen for a very long time after restarting and no DVD or hard drive activity. When installing from USB or DVD, the computer does not even show the windows menu window and restarts automatically.

Can you find the boot menu with the correct "F" key. We already know the PC works as your 8.1 is functioning.

So unless the spare hard drive you are trying to install windows 10 on is a bad drive it's just finding the right combo to get your installer to move forward.

I also tied that. But i got an error "This tool can't update your pc"
You're doing it completely wrong.
You get this message when running windows media creation tool to upgrade windows 8.1.
That is not, what you have to do.

You have to create windows installation media using media creation tool (8GB USB flash drive required)
or create iso file with media creation tool and create installation media using rufus.
Then you boot from this created USB flash drive.
And install windows.

Installing from DVD in windows gets stuck with a small bar flashing on the screen for a very long time after restarting and no DVD or hard drive activity.
Blinking underscore means - you're booting in wrong mode.
You're either booting from legacy boot media in UEFI mode or
booting from UFI boot media in legacy mode
(second option is more likely).

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2024
Can you find the boot menu with the correct "F" key. We already know the PC works as your 8.1 is functioning.

So unless the spare hard drive you are trying to install windows 10 on is a bad drive it's just finding the right combo to get your installer to move forward.
Yes, i tried from "F10" boot menu, but it also doesn't matter. I'll try to make aio boot server on my pc and boot from network. I think the problem is in hardware, because it even doesn't boot "Strelec x64" verion.

Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear them.