DHCP not assigning IPs sporadically - 1 wifi/modem and 1 wireless AP

Rappy

Reputable
Aug 23, 2014
I have a Netgear dg834g setup in the attic as the adsl modem and a wifi on channel 1. I then have an ethernet running downstairs to a secondary router (TPLink W8960N) which I have setup to use as a Wireless Access Point. I have disabled DHCP on the TPlink, but it is enabled on the Netgear. Ethernet is connected from lan port to lan port.

Here's the problem. Randomly my devices and computers will not get an IP address when connecting. They eventually self-assign something ridiculous which doesnt allow internet access. I can manually set IP then and it will work briefly. Then the DHCP server will suddenly start working again and the manual IP is no longer valid. So then I put it back to DHCP and it works. That is until it stops again and decides not to assign an IP.

It seems that the downstairs router/ap the TPlink, is not passing clients onto the DHCP server in the attic. I have tried multiple modems in the attic and it has been the same issue, so I know this is not a problem with the modem. Please help. These kinds of problems are very specific and I haven't found anyone with exactly this issue.

RealBeast

Titan
Is the TP-Link router that is configured as the AP using an IP address that is outside of the Netgear DHCP assignment range, preferably a reserved dynamic address or a static address that is entered in the Netgear reserved or static device list?

edit: and the Tp-Link is using the Netgear address as its gateway address?

BuddhaSkoota

Admirable
Do only devices connected to the TPLink lose connectivity. or is it your entire network?

Does it happen on both wireless and wired devices?

Do the TPLink and Netgear have the latest firmware installed?

Your post suggests that the problem lies with connections to the TPLink. If a firmware update doesn't fix this, you might consider replacing it, possibly with a different make/model.

Rappy

Reputable
Aug 23, 2014
@RealBeast
The TPLink is X.X.0.2 and the DHCP scope of the DHCP server is X.X.0.3 - 200, so it is outside of that range.
It doesn't seem possible to add a Gateway address on the TPLink if I am not connecting with the LAN4/WAN port. It says I must add a WAN service first. But this would change the situation to 2 subnets, which is not what I want. I can add Static Routing, but I don't think thats is right either? in anycase, Im not sure exactly what they mean by Destination IP as TPLink manual has zero explanations of anything, just a self-referential definition which means nothing unless you already know what it means - in which case you don't need the explanation, if you catch my drift.

@BuddhaSkoota
Yes it seems to be only the TPLink connections. I believe it happens with wired as well as wireless, but because it doesn't happen every time, ie sometimes the DHCP serves correctly, it is hard to test. Both devices are the latest updates.
Yes I might have to replace the TPLink. It has the worst User Interface imaginable and has just been way over complex for what it is.

RealBeast

Titan
Sorry, poorly stated question -- can you see the TPLink in the Netgear attached device list?

I just looked up your TPLink model and it is a DSL router/modem. I would not use it as a WAP, get just a simple wireless router that does not include a DSL modem and it will work well. The simple TPLink routers work well as APs, like the WR841n or WDR3600 if you want dual band.

Latest posts