DHCP will not resolve

I have a wireless home network with 3 computers. All of them are set to
automatically obtain an ip address. 2 of the computers work fine but one
will not receive the ip address from the router. I can configure the ip
address manually and can see my other 2 computers but I do not have access
to the internet because to do so the router must be allowed to assign the ip
address.

What can I do.
THanks...Peter

I would like to add a little more info. When the ip is assigned on the
problem computer it assigns an ip address of 169.254.114.119 and a subnet of
255.255.0.0. The address expected that the router would assign would be
192.168.254.103. When I manually configure the ip address, gateway and dns I
can see and access all the other computers using the wireless network and I
can ping the router but still no access to the WAN nor can I connect to the
routers administrative web page. I am using a wep key and it is working or I
would not be able to see my other computers. Futhermore I am unable to
disable the network connections unless I go to device manager and disable
the network adapter. When I try to disable the network connection I get the
following error.

"It is not possible to disable the connection at this time. This connection
may be using one or more protocols that do not support plug-and-play, or it
may have been initiated by another user or system account"

I am running McAfee antivirus.
Can anyone help

"Peter Welk" <peterwelk@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I have a wireless home network with 3 computers. All of them are set to
>automatically obtain an ip address. 2 of the computers work fine but one
>will not receive the ip address from the router. I can configure the ip
>address manually and can see my other 2 computers but I do not have access
>to the internet because to do so the router must be allowed to assign the
>ip address.
>
> What can I do.
> THanks...Peter

I am having the same problem with my Linksys card. Worked fine under XP pro
SP1, but broke under SP2. According to Microsoft, the Linksys driver must
be updated. But no word from Linksys of when one can expect that update.

>I would like to add a little more info. When the ip is assigned on the
>problem computer it assigns an ip address of 169.254.114.119 and a subnet
>of 255.255.0.0. The address expected that the router would assign would be
>192.168.254.103. When I manually configure the ip address, gateway and dns
>I can see and access all the other computers using the wireless network and
>I can ping the router but still no access to the WAN nor can I connect to
>the routers administrative web page. I am using a wep key and it is working
>or I would not be able to see my other computers. Futhermore I am unable to
>disable the network connections unless I go to device manager and disable
>the network adapter. When I try to disable the network connection I get the
>following error.
>
> "It is not possible to disable the connection at this time. This
> connection may be using one or more protocols that do not support
> plug-and-play, or it may have been initiated by another user or system
> account"
>
> I am running McAfee antivirus.
> Can anyone help
>

> "Peter Welk" <peterwelk@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>I have a wireless home network with 3 computers. All of them are set to
>>automatically obtain an ip address. 2 of the computers work fine but one
>>will not receive the ip address from the router. I can configure the ip
>>address manually and can see my other 2 computers but I do not have access
>>to the internet because to do so the router must be allowed to assign the
>>ip address.
>>
>> What can I do.
>> THanks...Peter

I am also useing xp sp2 but it was working for a long while so I am at a
loss as to why it begins now to act up now. Furthmore the network is working
when I manually configure the ip address. I just have no access to the WAN
because the router is not assigning the IP. If it were a driver problem I
would guess the network would not work at all ???
Peter

"Jim C" <no@spam.invalid> wrote in message
>I am having the same problem with my Linksys card. Worked fine under XP
>pro SP1, but broke under SP2. According to Microsoft, the Linksys driver
>must be updated. But no word from Linksys of when one can expect that
>update.
>

> "Peter Welk" <peterwelk@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>I would like to add a little more info. When the ip is assigned on the
>>problem computer it assigns an ip address of 169.254.114.119 and a subnet
>>of 255.255.0.0. The address expected that the router would assign would be
>>192.168.254.103. When I manually configure the ip address, gateway and dns
>>I can see and access all the other computers using the wireless network
>>and I can ping the router but still no access to the WAN nor can I connect
>>to the routers administrative web page. I am using a wep key and it is
>>working or I would not be able to see my other computers. Futhermore I am
>>unable to disable the network connections unless I go to device manager
>>and disable the network adapter. When I try to disable the network
>>connection I get the following error.
>>
>> "It is not possible to disable the connection at this time. This
>> connection may be using one or more protocols that do not support
>> plug-and-play, or it may have been initiated by another user or system
>> account"
>>
>> I am running McAfee antivirus.
>> Can anyone help
>>

>> "Peter Welk" <peterwelk@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>>I have a wireless home network with 3 computers. All of them are set to
>>>automatically obtain an ip address. 2 of the computers work fine but one
>>>will not receive the ip address from the router. I can configure the ip
>>>address manually and can see my other 2 computers but I do not have
>>>access to the internet because to do so the router must be allowed to
>>>assign the ip address.
>>>
>>> What can I do.
>>> THanks...Peter

More info.
I am using a US Robotics USR8054 router and a US Robotics / USR5416 /
100Mbps / 802.11g / PCI / Wireless Adapter.

Thanks..Peter

>I am also useing xp sp2 but it was working for a long while so I am at a
>loss as to why it begins now to act up now. Furthmore the network is
>working when I manually configure the ip address. I just have no access to
>the WAN because the router is not assigning the IP. If it were a driver
>problem I would guess the network would not work at all ???
> Peter
>
> "Jim C" <no@spam.invalid> wrote in message
>>I am having the same problem with my Linksys card. Worked fine under XP
>>pro SP1, but broke under SP2. According to Microsoft, the Linksys driver
>>must be updated. But no word from Linksys of when one can expect that
>>update.
>>

>> "Peter Welk" <peterwelk@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>>I would like to add a little more info. When the ip is assigned on the
>>>problem computer it assigns an ip address of 169.254.114.119 and a subnet
>>>of 255.255.0.0. The address expected that the router would assign would
>>>be 192.168.254.103. When I manually configure the ip address, gateway and
>>>dns I can see and access all the other computers using the wireless
>>>network and I can ping the router but still no access to the WAN nor can
>>>I connect to the routers administrative web page. I am using a wep key
>>>and it is working or I would not be able to see my other computers.
>>>Futhermore I am unable to disable the network connections unless I go to
>>>device manager and disable the network adapter. When I try to disable the
>>>network connection I get the following error.
>>>
>>> "It is not possible to disable the connection at this time. This
>>> connection may be using one or more protocols that do not support
>>> plug-and-play, or it may have been initiated by another user or system
>>> account"
>>>
>>> I am running McAfee antivirus.
>>> Can anyone help
>>>

>>> "Peter Welk" <peterwelk@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Some more info from my side. I've had this type of problem on several of
the network adaptors on my ThinkPad - both wired & wireless. At the office
the other day, I could not get a DHCP-assigned address using my wired
network adaptor. Dropped ZoneAlarm - no joy. Rebooted - same result.
Refreshed the TCP/IP stack - same result. Finally got it to work by
unplugging the laptop & removing the battery for 1 minute or so. (Note -
the SP2 firewall is off for all cases.)

So, from my prospective, appears that SP2 is blocking responses to the DHCP
server under certain conditions??

> More info.
> I am using a US Robotics USR8054 router and a US Robotics / USR5416 /
> 100Mbps / 802.11g / PCI / Wireless Adapter.
>
> Thanks..Peter
>

> "Peter Welk" <peterwelk@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>I am also useing xp sp2 but it was working for a long while so I am at a
>>loss as to why it begins now to act up now. Furthmore the network is
>>working when I manually configure the ip address. I just have no access to
>>the WAN because the router is not assigning the IP. If it were a driver
>>problem I would guess the network would not work at all ???
>> Peter
>>
>> "Jim C" <no@spam.invalid> wrote in message
>>>I am having the same problem with my Linksys card. Worked fine under XP
>>>pro SP1, but broke under SP2. According to Microsoft, the Linksys driver
>>>must be updated. But no word from Linksys of when one can expect that
>>>update.
>>>

>>> "Peter Welk" <peterwelk@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Guys first make sure that DHCP under services.msc is set to auotmatic and not
manual. Thats the main casue of similar accounts that I have expierenced with
clients. Hope that helps.

Will

"Jim C" wrote:

> Some more info from my side. I've had this type of problem on several of
> the network adaptors on my ThinkPad - both wired & wireless. At the office
> the other day, I could not get a DHCP-assigned address using my wired
> network adaptor. Dropped ZoneAlarm - no joy. Rebooted - same result.
> Refreshed the TCP/IP stack - same result. Finally got it to work by
> unplugging the laptop & removing the battery for 1 minute or so. (Note -
> the SP2 firewall is off for all cases.)
>
> So, from my prospective, appears that SP2 is blocking responses to the DHCP
> server under certain conditions??
>
> "Peter Welk" <peterwelk@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > More info.
> > I am using a US Robotics USR8054 router and a US Robotics / USR5416 /
> > 100Mbps / 802.11g / PCI / Wireless Adapter.
> >
> > Thanks..Peter
> >

> > "Peter Welk" <peterwelk@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >>I am also useing xp sp2 but it was working for a long while so I am at a
> >>loss as to why it begins now to act up now. Furthmore the network is
> >>working when I manually configure the ip address. I just have no access to
> >>the WAN because the router is not assigning the IP. If it were a driver
> >>problem I would guess the network would not work at all ???
> >> Peter
> >>
> >> "Jim C" <no@spam.invalid> wrote in message

ozone

Distinguished
May 3, 2004

I noticed on my computers the DHCP client service crashes just after
wireless is activated.

andres

Hi guys,

Happy to know that I'm not alone with this problem.

I'm expiriencing something similar. With Win XP Prof. SP2. When I'm working
at home everythings goes fine if I go outside and try to connect to another
network I can not do it. I will see the other networks but after a long
period waiting for the acquiring DCHP address process I obtain a Private IP
address (169.162.xxx.xxx).

Other behaivior is that sometimes I'm the wireless network connection
windows shows a network and says not connected and then the botton right
button says disconnect.

I contact MS online support and they refer me to the computer constructor
which of course refers me to MS. So "service" seems to be something used just
for marketing purporses.

Regards