DHCP

jkm

Distinguished
May 30, 2004

I would like to give out IP's only to users with thier MAC Address in a table and all others are rejected. Anyone know how I can accomplish this?

Thanks, Jim

Hi,

I understand that the DHCP should be configured to assign IP address to
only for those clients whose MAC address is found in a table and IP request
from other systems should be rejected.

Please create the DHCP scope and configure the client reservation for all
the IP addresses with the corresponding MAC address. Individual
reservations could be added for each client, plus all outstanding addresses
within the DHCP scope could be excluded. This way an unauthorized machine
would not be able to obtain a DHCP lease.

If I find any workarounds to achieve this objective, I will update you.

Thank you,

Rashmi

--------------------
| From: =?Utf-8?B?SktN?= <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
| Subject: DHCP
| Date: Sun, 30 May 2004 07:31:04 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server
|
| I would like to give out IP's only to users with thier MAC Address in a
table and all others are rejected. Anyone know how I can accomplish this?

Thanks, Jim

jkm

Distinguished
May 30, 2004

Thanks for responding Rashmi.

If you use a "reservation" you are assigning a static IP address defeating the function of DHCP. Correct me if I am wrong. I do not want any pc to get an IP without me knowing via MAC address list or something and I need to use the Dynamic IP scheme. Any thoughts?

Thanks, Jim

Hello,

I am looking for a solution for the same problem and wonder if Rashmi might know of a tool that can be installed on the DHCP server and would assist in controlling ip address assignments. It would be quite a task to run around trying to get MAC addresses in a large network. Thanks

----- Rashmi.K.Y [MSFT] wrote: -----

Hi,

I understand that the DHCP should be configured to assign IP address to
only for those clients whose MAC address is found in a table and IP request
from other systems should be rejected.

Please create the DHCP scope and configure the client reservation for all
the IP addresses with the corresponding MAC address. Individual
reservations could be added for each client, plus all outstanding addresses
within the DHCP scope could be excluded. This way an unauthorized machine
would not be able to obtain a DHCP lease.

If I find any workarounds to achieve this objective, I will update you.

Thank you,

Rashmi

--------------------
| From: =?Utf-8?B?SktN?= <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
| Subject: DHCP
| Date: Sun, 30 May 2004 07:31:04 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.advanced_server
|
| I would like to give out IP's only to users with thier MAC Address in a
table and all others are rejected. Anyone know how I can accomplish this?

Thanks, Jim

Hi,

Thank you for the response.

I understand that you want the DHCP to check the table of MAC address and
provide the Dynamic IP address.

Jim, there is no option on Windows 2000 DHCP server which can be configured
to check a reference table before assigning the IP address.

Another possibility of assigning DHCP addresses only to a group of systems
is to assign the classID. ClassID for the clients can be set using the
ipconfig command. Please find related links.

Using option classes
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/en/server/help/default.asp?url=/windows
2000/en/server/help/sag_DHCP_imp_AssigningOptions.htm

To set DHCP class ID information at a client computer
To set DHCP class ID information at a client computer

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/en/server/help/sag_DHCP_pro_SetClassIdC
ommand.htm

To show DHCP class ID information at a client computer
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/en/server/help/default.asp?url=/windows
2000/en/server/help/sag_DHCP_pro_ShowClassIdCommand.htm

I hope I answered your query.

Thank you,

Rashmi