DHCP

If I were to turn on DHCP using my router software Winroute lite
to let people access the Internet through my network how can I
keep people from accessing my files? I password protected all my
shared drives but will someone be able to crack that?

I'm using 128 bit WEP on my wireless network but I guess I would
need to disable that to let people on wouldn't I?

Ideas or recommendations will be appreciated.
George F.

Oldguy

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2004

I depends on your AP. Proxim for instance, lets you turn off client to
client communication; assuming that the clients can't connect directly.

Best bet is to have your local network on a different network via
firewall.

ISPInet into one port
192.168.100.0/24 on secondary
192.168.200.0/24 on trinary

You then setup the firewall to block ALL communication from .100 <> .200
then NAT both .100 and .200 to your ISP. Note that this still doesn't
solve the multiple computers that could be seen on either network. Your
neighbors need to know that this is a possiblity -> could be a good
thing or bad thing depending on your neighbors.

have fun!

todh

George Fleagle wrote:

> If I were to turn on DHCP using my router software Winroute lite
> to let people access the Internet through my network how can I
> keep people from accessing my files? I password protected all my
> shared drives but will someone be able to crack that?
>
> I'm using 128 bit WEP on my wireless network but I guess I would
> need to disable that to let people on wouldn't I?
>
> Ideas or recommendations will be appreciated.
> George F.

There is actually no way to allow others to access the internet over your
router and keep your home netowork save with common SOHO wireless routers.
In most routers the WLAN and the LAN interface are bridged, always allowing
the WLAN users to access the LAN.

On enterprise level firewalls, VPN-Gateways and a dedicated network for
access points will make it possible.

Thomas

TRENDING THREADS